Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Dualstage foam on bedlocks with weights on?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2020, 03:50 AM   #1

Default Dualstage foam on bedlocks with weights on?

Hi,

So i wonder is it hard to fit dualstage foams on bedlocks with weights on.
Recently order some foams with soft outer and hard inner cells and didnt tought about that i have weights on the rings.

Also is it worth having those wheel weights? im planning to buy brass knuckle weights but its to expensive for me atm.
I usually only crawl and planning to join a competition next year so i really want the ultimate car for it

Last edited by Malawi; 08-17-2020 at 04:56 AM.
Malawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2020, 05:04 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Dualstage foam on bedlocks with weights on?

It can be done fairly easily. I have used an XActo knife to trim off enough foam so it fits over the weights without distorting the foams. CI foams are pretty easy to trim.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:15 AM   #3

Since you're EU based I suggest you look into A.L.T foams, awesome product that offers also versions for weight strips https://www.rc-hp.de/19-Zoll_1
RCPawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
It can be done fairly easily. I have used an XActo knife to trim off enough foam so it fits over the weights without distorting the foams. CI foams are pretty easy to trim.
Alright, hm not sure tho i wanna try cut the inner foam. perhaps i loose to much for sidehilling. Maybe its best to just take off the weights

Is it impossible to get them on without cutting? The brand is boomracing.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:04 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malawi View Post
Alright, hm not sure tho i wanna try cut the inner foam. perhaps i loose to much for sidehilling. Maybe its best to just take off the weights

Is it impossible to get them on without cutting? The brand is boomracing.
I prefer the stock foam for this procedure..otherwise you will end up with too soft of foam because there will be little left over of the denser foam. I place the wheel over the stock foam. Make sure it is centered. Draw a line around the wheel outline on to the foam with a marker. Flip it over and repeat. Get a utility knife with a new blade. Cut on the inside of the line slowly. Go deeper with each pass till it bottoms out. Flip it over repeat. Should pull apart easy after that. If you do not cut the foam for the added diameter of the weights...the foam will rip in half. I weigh all my rigs wheels. It stops it from hopping during an extreme climb. I have several sets of tire/wheels just to have for different conditions and for long trips ...a back up.

Last edited by Jeff6x6; 08-17-2020 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Correcting
Jeff6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 04:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6x6 View Post
I prefer the stock foam for this procedure..otherwise you will end up with too soft of foam because there will be little left over of the denser foam. I place the wheel over the stock foam. Make sure it is centered. Draw a line around the wheel outline on to the foam with a marker. Flip it over and repeat. Get a utility knife with a new blade. Cut on the inside of the line slowly. Go deeper with each pass till it bottoms out. Flip it over repeat. Should pull apart easy after that. If you do not cut the foam for the added diameter of the weights...the foam will rip in half. I weigh all my rigs wheels. It stops it from hopping during an extreme climb. I have several sets of tire/wheels just to have for different conditions and for long trips ...a back up.
Thanks for the tip! But i removed the weights and just put the foams on and didnt cut anything. Weights are now around the knuckle that was already covered with a modified brass part around it. Seems good overall, foams was soft enough so the tyre is having more surface for climbing due to all my front weight. The rims weight 140 grams each plus around 150 brass around each knuckle
Old 08-20-2020, 07:45 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Generally speaking, rotating weight is hard on the entire drive train. It takes more energy to get the weight moving and once moving it takes more energy to stop. A much more efficient place to mount weights is on the axles as low as possible. Turns out the weight inside the wheels also makes mounting foams difficult as you can testify.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Generally speaking, rotating weight is hard on the entire drive train. It takes more energy to get the weight moving and once moving it takes more energy to stop. A much more efficient place to mount weights is on the axles as low as possible. Turns out the weight inside the wheels also makes mounting foams difficult as you can testify.
Ye i know, thats why i removed the weights on the rims and put them on the portal house/knuckle that should be fine right since they dont rotate? Im thinking aswell to get lighter rims and get new Front C-Hub in brass instead.

Dualstage foam on bedlocks with weights on? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheel weights and the foam step child Tires and Wheels 7 03-17-2013 10:14 PM
pro's con's Wheel weights and foam trimiming systema Superclass Crawlers 4 04-09-2012 11:41 AM
Trimming foam to fit wheel weights? 0lllllll0 Tires and Wheels 17 03-08-2011 10:12 PM
Function of weights, water, lead, and foam? PipeDreams Tires and Wheels 27 04-10-2008 02:56 PM
Mashers:weights,bb's, foam or combo? solomon7 Newbie General 5 08-18-2007 02:57 PM