RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/)
-   -   Seasonal tire changes? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/623276-seasonal-tire-changes.html)

TITANIUM94010 01-31-2021 10:47 PM

Seasonal tire changes?

Does anyone else change their tires as the seasons change?

I'm changing my tires from Hyraxs to stock TRX6 tires for the winter-spring season because it rains a lot and makes everything miuddy.

Anyone else do this?

WHITE-TRASH 01-31-2021 11:14 PM

Re: Seasonal tire changes?

Depending on terrain, weather and seasons.

Trails of dirt and mud get an aggressive tread and depending on temperature they can be a harder or softer compound.

Like today it was in the low 50s and the trails were going to be muddy so I ran gold (soft) klrs on my trx4.

Headed to the rocks with my capra after the trail run so I ran predator (soft) compound krawlers since the rocks were cold and would have mud on them.

In the hottest months I run harder compound tires that are usually smaller lugs in a tighter pattern since it's always dry and dusty. Softer tires get too soft and wad up easily or just get sloppy in the heat.

RCscale101 02-01-2021 03:05 AM

I recently built myself a set of spike tires as I was heading to Iceland with my 1/18 crawlers. They worked superbly and I made a tutorial on how built them if interested. The technique can be replicated for any tire sizes I guess:

https://youtu.be/dA4R3Td4T80

TITANIUM94010 02-01-2021 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCscale101 (Post 6066436)
I recently built myself a set of spike tires as I was heading to Iceland with my 1/18 crawlers. They worked superbly and I made a tutorial on how built them if interested. The technique can be replicated for any tire sizes I guess:

https://youtu.be/dA4R3Td4T80

Looks pretty cool!

I might give them a try with a set o old tires. Don't have much snow here but sometimes I go where it does.

OSRC 02-01-2021 10:58 AM

I run Prolines in warmer months, but swap them out when it gets cold/snowy. The G8 compound seems to get stiff in the colder months.

68rockcrawler 02-22-2021 07:15 AM

I just read this thread the other day then was thinking about it while I was running my Bomber in the snow this weekend. I am still running the stock BFG Baja T/A that came on it and was still impressed with how they churn through the snow. They keep it moving until it's pushing snow, then they dig down and get it buried. I think true 4wd with all 4 tires driving makes more of a difference for me than the actual tires. I'm getting ready to throw on a set of Pro-Line Super Swampers that are G8 compound. I'm curious to see how they handle the seasons.

WHITE-TRASH 02-22-2021 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68rockcrawler (Post 6069984)
I just read this thread the other day then was thinking about it while I was running my Bomber in the snow this weekend. I am still running the stock BFG Baja T/A that came on it and was still impressed with how they churn through the snow. They keep it moving until it's pushing snow, then they dig down and get it buried. I think true 4wd with all 4 tires driving makes more of a difference for me than the actual tires. I'm getting ready to throw on a set of Pro-Line Super Swampers that are G8 compound. I'm curious to see how they handle the seasons.

Snow is a different animal so most any tire with decent tread will work fine. My selection of snow tires is kinda random but the hardest compound does the best due to how it's driven not because of compound or carcass flexibility.

2.2 jconcepts scorpios on sealed beadlocks with no foam are fantastic if you want to go slower and cruise around. They're very soft so they pooch like they're aired down and they just float.

OG pitbull xor's with super soft foams vented are great ball around, they can be driven slower but also work well under full throttle due to being aggressive.

Old ottsix schisms sealed on beadlocks with no foam are crazy aggressive and need power to work but they kill it. They can be driven a little slower than the pitbulls only because they're so far, the footprint works great but hammer the throttle and they are going to launch snow and make the rig disappear. Their compound absolutely sucks on rock though. They are made from a harder rubber more like cheap rtr tires.

Gula 02-23-2021 01:19 AM

I usually just let out the summer air and pump them back up with winter air, or vice-versa. My tires usually perform great that way. Only time I change tires is if I go from off road or street to snow or sand with paddles.

Inspector86 02-23-2021 11:25 AM

My tire selection has less to do with the season and more to do with the terrain I plan to drive on. What I do change depending on the season is the shock oil. I run a 10wt oil in the winter and a 30wt oil in the summer.

rkj__ 02-23-2021 12:37 PM

For my first two years in the hobby, I only had 1 crawler, and 1 set of tires. The tires were Super Swamper TSL SX, and I felt they were pretty good all-around performers, but they did struggle a bit in the snow. I did not realize how bad they were in the snow, until I tried something else! So, those Swampers will not be seeing much snow from now on.

WHITE-TRASH 02-23-2021 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkj__ (Post 6070118)
For my first two years in the hobby, I only had 1 crawler, and 1 set of tires. The tires were Super Swamper TSL SX, and I felt they were pretty good all-around performers, but they did struggle a bit in the snow. I did not realize how bad they were in the snow, until I tried something else! So, those Swampers will not be seeing much snow from now on.

That's one of those things that you don't know until you know. There is a reason I have a giant tire selection mounted up and ready to go.

68rockcrawler 02-23-2021 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkj__ (Post 6070118)

Interesting. Makes sense. I guess I'll keep my old BFG Bajas for snow and use the Super Swampers in the summer.

Kingmeow 02-23-2021 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector86 (Post 6070105)
My tire selection has less to do with the season and more to do with the terrain I plan to drive on. What I do change depending on the season is the shock oil. I run a 10wt oil in the winter and a 30wt oil in the summer.

Curious as to why the shock oil change? Isn't silicone fluid viscosity unaffected by temperature?

durok 02-23-2021 06:49 PM

Cut from some fancy document I just looked up:

viscosity-temperature characteristics of silicone oil: when the temperature of
silicone oil increases, its viscosity decreases. On the contrary, when the temperature of silicone oil
decreases, its viscosity increases