Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Punks Custom Carbon Wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2021, 08:42 PM   #1
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Default Punks Custom Carbon Wheels

Recently bought a set of Punks carbon wheels and hubs. When I went to mount the wheel to the hubs I found that the hole pattern didn't line up and I couldn't mount the hub. If I put all the screws in and attempted to tighten up the hub the screws bound up on the wheel and the hub would not tighten up against the wheel face.

Contacted Punks and he said that he had that problem previously and he sent me a new set of wheel faces. Well, the mounting problem was exactly the same! Hole pattern between the hub and wheel was off. To make sure I wasn't nuts, I took the wheels to a friend to get a second opinion and it was confirmed. I sent a photo of the misalignment to Punks.

Anybody else had this problem with Punks carbon wheels?

Last edited by JC3; 04-09-2021 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Updated info
JC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2021, 05:19 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Punks Custom Carbon Wheels

I haven't ever had any of those wheels but...

Did you try VP SLW hubs or the china hubs? I'm just curious because while the china wheels and hubs are mostly ok (interchangeable with the VP SLW stuff), I've notice slight differences in the hub bolt circle diameter in some cases. If you didn't try VP hubs, it might be worth trying just to see if they fit. The standard size screws for the VP hubs are also slightly smaller than the metric used in the china hubs, which might contribute to the issue with the china hubs fit (but not a direct cause).

Just as an example, I have a set of Supershafty 2.2 wheels. Some of my china hubs don't fit them very well, but the VP hubs all fit fine.

If none of the hubs fit, well that just sucks. Assuming his bolt circle is off, it sounds like he didn't bother to check anything and just sent out more wheel faces. I hope you get it resolved.
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:57 AM   #3
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the tips. Amazingly, the hubs that came with the wheels don't fit! They look like VP's but I can't be sure. I tried some China hubs as well and it was a no go. I don't have any legit VP hubs but might try to borrow some from a friend and give them a try. Hopefully there's a fix.

Last edited by JC3; 04-09-2021 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Updated info
Old 04-08-2021, 07:48 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
Thanks for the tips. Amazingly, the hubs that came with the wheels don't fit! They look like VP's but I can't be sure. I tried some China hubs as well and it was a no go. I don't have any legit VP hubs but might try to borrow some from a friend and give them a try. I'm calling the seller later today because I'm tired of waiting for him to contact me. Hopefully there's a fix.
Sorry again for the delay getting back to you. Glad we were able to talk today. I'll get ya fixed up. Still trying to figure out what happened to that particular design, but it's straightened out now.
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:16 PM   #5
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublik View Post
Sorry again for the delay getting back to you. Glad we were able to talk today. I'll get ya fixed up. Still trying to figure out what happened to that particular design, but it's straightened out now.
I want to say thank you for the outstanding customer service and response to my problem with the wheels. You responded promptly and even went so far as to call me to follow up on the problem and provide a tracking number for my shipment.

I'm really looking forward to receiving my new wheel centers and assembling the wheels.

Thanks Brian!
Old 04-10-2021, 12:52 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
I want to say thank you for the outstanding customer service and response to my problem with the wheels. You responded promptly and even went so far as to call me to follow up on the problem and provide a tracking number for my shipment.

I'm really looking forward to receiving my new wheel centers and assembling the wheels.

Thanks Brian!
Thank YOU John. It was good talkin to ya.
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote

Punks Custom Carbon Wheels - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Something a little different - Carbon rails and custom cage Stray Axial RR10 Bomber 2 12-17-2018 10:32 PM
My Custom Carbon Stampede Chassis es79 Non Crawler RC's 3 05-22-2010 12:18 PM
T1E Custom Carbon Grappler Uroplatus Vendors Paint and Body 2 12-26-2008 06:33 PM