Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Best foams for a lot of creek driving?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2021, 06:35 PM   #1

Default Best foams for a lot of creek driving?

Looking to get other than stock tires on my trx4 bronco.. going either PL super swamper xl, or duratrax deep woods..I do a lot of water driving....
I have some PL dual stage, but thinking maybe ottsix halo?
Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2021, 06:44 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Best foams for a lot of creek driving?

CI dual stage ….. here’s a starting spot.

https://crawlerinnovations.com/deuce...l-foam-pair-2/

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:30 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

There is no good foam for water. ALL foam will require maintenance to dry them out from time to time or they'll break down and rot

Best answer is maintenance on whatever foam works best on your rig
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:42 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

you dont need foams pick up a set of smaller tires and run them in side the main tire it acts like a inner tube and not affected by water at all and they dont get flat spots you want about a 1/2" to 3/4" smaller for that perfict aired down tire
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:57 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

This is where hair buns + vented tires really shine. I have a set of Canyon Trails with XL hair buns and they work a treat in the water.

Any open-cell foam, left wet over time, will break down to nothing.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 01:03 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Team ottsix halos are awesome, and supposedly waterproof.

Last edited by mud bogger; 10-29-2021 at 11:01 AM.
mud bogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:16 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

A.L.T. foams are wicked too.
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:06 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

in my opinion the problem with foams is you pay a bunch of money and if you forget and leave the rig sitting on its wheels your new over priced foams are trash unless your realy in to canadian style tires my foams always.turned to doughnuts enuff flat spots and your round again but the foams are now half the size on the outside and twice the size on the inside leaving a floating foam doughnut inside the tire

the inner tire suport system is easy and predictable once tuned to the tire the wheels can be used on any rig with out changes they will perform the same on day 1 as they do on day 1000 no matter how hard you are on them or what you run them through
the only real downside is the waight but on a scaler thats a good thing
Old 07-11-2021, 08:05 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
in my opinion the problem with foams is you pay a bunch of money and if you forget and leave the rig sitting on its wheels your new over priced foams are trash unless your realy in to canadian style tires my foams always.turned to doughnuts enuff flat spots and your round again but the foams are now half the size on the outside and twice the size on the inside leaving a floating foam doughnut inside the tire

the inner tire suport system is easy and predictable once tuned to the tire the wheels can be used on any rig with out changes they will perform the same on day 1 as they do on day 1000 no matter how hard you are on them or what you run them through
Sucking the same on day 1000 just like day 1 is not an accomplishment.

Foam break in is a good thing and anyone that knows what they're doing buys the appropriate foam setup knowing how they will be once broken in. It isn't just about the aired down look, foam controls all movement of the tire whether it be forward, sidehill or controlling wrinkle under traction it does it all. Basically running them as balloons provides none of that action.

If it works for you then more power to you but a lot of us are 100% performance oriented and have a decent grasp on what we're doing.
Old 07-11-2021, 03:28 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Sucking the same on day 1000 just like day 1 is not an accomplishment.

Foam break in is a good thing and anyone that knows what they're doing buys the appropriate foam setup knowing how they will be once broken in. It isn't just about the aired down look, foam controls all movement of the tire whether it be forward, sidehill or controlling wrinkle under traction it does it all. Basically running them as balloons provides none of that action.

If it works for you then more power to you but a lot of us are 100% performance oriented and have a decent grasp on what we're doing.
once the inner tire is tuned to the outer tire its grips as good as any foam out there ive tryed every foam on the market and a bunch that arent except ottsixishbit i tryed just about every diy i could find online and a bunch i made up myself and come to tire in tire
it works just like the fill sized version but they call them internal beadlocks on full sized rigs

the inner tire dosent fill the tire like a standered foam or a dual stage foam dose

there is a gap more like single stage foams but more tuneable and as a bonus my tires dont go canadian if they sit on there wheels for a year between runs and can be reused over and over again when the outer tire wares out

the only performance advantage foams have is they weigh less and thats not realy a advantage on a scaler
Old 07-12-2021, 10:55 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
once the inner tire is tuned to the outer tire its grips as good as any foam out there ive tryed every foam on the market and a bunch that arent except ottsixishbit i tryed just about every diy i could find online and a bunch i made up myself and come to tire in tire
it works just like the fill sized version but they call them internal beadlocks on full sized rigs

the inner tire dosent fill the tire like a standered foam or a dual stage foam dose

there is a gap more like single stage foams but more tuneable and as a bonus my tires dont go canadian if they sit on there wheels for a year between runs and can be reused over and over again when the outer tire wares out

the only performance advantage foams have is they weigh less and thats not realy a advantage on a scaler

No, just no. Like I said, you do you and the rest of us will do what's good.

Light weight wheels and tires are definitely an advantage in every class of crawler. Light weight doesn't break parts and it accelerate and stops faster which is always advantageous in a comp scenario. Yea I know you probably don't comp so you don't care, whatever you wanna do is fine but don't tell the world full of impressionable noobs that you're right and the entire industry is wrong because some idiots will actually believe it
Old 07-12-2021, 11:42 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:

Light weight wheels and tires are definitely an advantage in every class of crawler. Light weight doesn't break parts and it accelerate and stops faster which is always advantageous in a comp scenario. Yea I know you probably don't comp so you don't care, whatever you wanna do is fine but don't tell the world full of impressionable noobs that you're right and the entire industry is wrong because some idiots will actually believe it
YOU do YOU and leave "THE REST OF US" to our own doings, please.

Don't recall voting to give up my voice to "THE REST OF US" at any point in my life.

If you're doing a lot of Water running. Don't vent or use any foams. Seal the tires to the rims with seme rtv silicone.

BUT, before you tighten the last Beadlock down, push a bit of the air out of the wheel. I use a zip strip around the center of the wheel pulling it snug, which pushes a bit of the air out of the loose Beadlock ring and holds it there. Then when it's about where you want it, tighten the deadlock rings. I use a little rtv silicone around the bead on the rim/tire seat so it fully seals to the tire.

let them set for a day for the rtv to cure. It stays pliable and keeps the water out of the wheels until you take the rings off and pop the seal. the rtv will pull off pretty easily not messing up the tires or the beadlocks or rims.

Basically, you are making kind of a negative pressure in the tire when its sealed and you remove the zipstrip etc, the tire wants to go back to full round, and the lesser volume of air allows the tires to mold around the rocks, but not compress right to the rim so it isn't Firm but not flat either. It can be a bit of a pain, but once you got the first one, use that zip on the other tires and it will make them pretty equally set.

I know every other "The Rest of Us" will scoff at this and only do what everyone else told them to do on some forum or some rc club.
But in the real world, you use what works for what you're doing.

Sure Right TOOL for the Right Job.

Pro Tip. There are more tools than 'The Rest Of US' may be aware of.
LMMFAO...

For a lot of water running, it works great. Just got to get the right Pressure" in the wheels, no need to add any air buttons as for crawling etc, you want them some what softer anyways.

Last edited by Timmahh; 07-12-2021 at 11:54 AM.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:44 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:

That was the go to tool and solution for a long time. Foams were limited in options, 10ish years ago, but smaller tire options were not.

Still works today. Another good unknown tool for 'The Rest Of Us" to learn about. lol

Last edited by Timmahh; 07-12-2021 at 11:55 AM.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:43 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Lemme see, double tires, silicone the rims foams get flat, and hold water.

Thanks WT, at least I’m not the only one. I listened to Eddie and I haven’t replaced any foams yet. But I’m only in the Everglades, so I’m gonna need tracks?

All my trucks tires never touch ground unless running, stands are cheap

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:23 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

no wussy foam is gona hold up my 1/6 scale nylint with potmetal axles on leaf springs and duel aluminum transmissions steal bumpers and slider 12" driver 4 servos and 2 frames streached to fit the body

and most of my rigs are big and heavy

not even the new heavy foams from ci can handle that pig and even those just came out

so what was i saposed to do for a rig like that there wasent anything anywere for rigs over 15lbs i so did something else

i learned to make them work

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
All my trucks tires never touch ground unless running, stands are cheap
Hang up and Drive
i cant seem to find enuff flat surfaces in 2 houses and a rv to keep all my rigs let alone space to put them all on stands

most of my rigs live stacked in the corner of the hobbie house the ones i use alot and im working on live on the bed of the rv the smaller ones live under the bed in the main house i even started puting them in the attic till the tire started drying out and falling apart the wife dosent like them in the main house even though theres always a few left out

Last edited by ferp420; 07-12-2021 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:35 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
no wussy foam is gona hold up my 1/6 scale nylint with potmetal axles on leaf springs and duel aluminum transmissions steal bumpers and slider 12" driver 4 servos and 2 frames streached to fit the body

and most of my rigs are big and heavy

not even the new heavy foams from ci can handle that pig and even those just came out

so what was i saposed to do for a rig like that there wasent anything anywere for rigs over 15lbs i so did something else

i learned to make them work

You and your 87 pound rigs are not the rule, you are the extreme minority. So like I said, you do you but you should definitely qualify your recommendations so there isn't a string of noobs trying stuff that won't work on their 6lb scx10.2.
Old 07-12-2021, 10:27 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You and your 87 pound rigs are not the rule, you are the extreme minority. So like I said, you do you but you should definitely qualify your recommendations so there isn't a string of nhoobs trying stuff that won't work on their 6lb scx10.2.
i thought i was clear it dose work just as good on a 6lb rig as on a 25lb rig you dont have to like it but in this instance a innertire would work much better than foam

when i was a kid bicycle tires were filled with foam but people found out there are better options

motorcyclez were the same way they used foam in the tire they since moved on to all balls tire system

i have a feeling rc tire will go down the same road
foams are old news kinda like um ya

Last edited by ferp420; 07-12-2021 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:11 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
i thought i was clear it dose work just as good on a 6lb rig as on a 25lb rig you dont have to like it but in this instance a innertire would work much better than foam

when i was a kid bicycle tires were filled with foam but people found out there are better options

motorcyclez were the same way they used foam in the tire they since moved on to all balls tire system

i have a feeling rc tire will go down the same road
foams are old news kinda like um ya
If an inner tire had a chance of working better you'd know it already know it because every comp rig out there would be running them. That just isn't the case because there is nothing to dampen the tire movement, only bounce it back off of an inner balloon.

Foam is old tech at its base but it is still progressing and being refined every day.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:04 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
If an inner tire had a chance of working better you'd know it already know it because every comp rig out there would be running them. That just isn't the case because there is nothing to dampen the tire movement, only bounce it back off of an inner balloon.

Foam is old tech at its base but it is still progressing and being refined every day.

foams are not progressing and there not even making foams for all size tires there on there way out
theres no reason this set up would bounce thats just ignorance the tires are not sealed there is no bounce

ive sead this isent for comp rigs its to heavy for a comp rig were your watching the weight of every part but on a scale rig they work realy good and if your breaking part from the extra weight then your using the wrong parts

i understand its not your thjng but just cause you cant figure it out dosent mean someone else cant and you dont get to speak for everyone so go stuff your tire with foam and enjoy it

Last edited by ferp420; 07-13-2021 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:50 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
foams are not progressing and there not even making foams for all size tires there on there way out
theres no reason this set up would bounce thats just ignorance the tires are not sealed there is no bounce

ive sead this isent for comp rigs its to heavy for a comp rig were your watching the weight of every part but on a scale rig they work realy good and if your breaking part from the extra weight then your using the wrong parts

i understand its not your thjng but just cause you cant figure it out dosent mean someone else cant and you dont get to speak for everyone so go stuff your tire with foam and enjoy it
Foam is not on its way out. There are different durometer foams being used all the time and now a completely new closed cell foam with variable hole patterns has hit the market so they're both progressive and waterproof. It's not my fault if you don't see the new products or designs because you're still stuck on running turducken tires.