Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: How do I prevent wheel wobble?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2021, 02:15 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default How do I prevent wheel wobble?

I always seem to suffer from wheel wobble after a tight turn due to the dual stage foams moving inside the tire on the ring. It is rather frustrating that I have to keep moving them back by hand and never seem to get them exactly right

Of the hundreds of youtube vids I have seen, everyone's tires appear to run true no matter the terrain or attitude change to the vehicle!!

This is mostly notable on the front due to the scrub and pushing while turning but have seen it on the rear after extreme side hilling or a tumble!

They seem okayish when cool but after a few minutes and warming of the tire they are all over the place.

I have always had this problem but my current setup is:
Hyrax 4.75 Predator (new)
Proline dual stage foams (new)
Chanqiush beadlocks (new)

I am running 8 x 5g weights, that are stuck and wrapped with insulation tape, on the outer part of the beadlock internal ring. The stiffer inner part of the dual stage foams were a tight fit when intially installed and this particular set is only a few weeks old!

What is everyone with a similar setup doing to prevent the wobble?
mr lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2021, 03:55 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: How do I prevent wheel wobble?

I don't run weights inside the wheels but at least three things I would try-

> At least temporarily remove the weights from the inside of the wheel ( if for no other reason than as part of the troubleshooting process).

> Make sure that the foams that you're using are stuffing tightly inside your tires to minimize any movement of them inside the wheel and/ or against each other ( as in the instance of using dual or triple stage foams).

> Use a small thin bead or two of adhesive to bond the inner and outer foams to each another.

Probably better answers to come but that's at least what I would try or double-check initially.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:46 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for your input "high plains Drifter"

I don't like to open wheels too often so as to prevent stripping threads but will give it a go. I would assume that with the weights in there it creates more of a "packed" setup as the weights are pushing the foams out.

I'd also like to try and avoid sticking the foam as I can only assume that after some use this will just tear off and I will be back with the same problem. Unless someone has actually tried this and can chime in and prove me wrong

Just before someone else chimes in that I should do research before asking a question...I have! And all posts mention that it will go away with time and a bit for wheeling, which I have not experienced! Oh and a bit of gentle massaging
Old 09-20-2021, 05:56 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Predators are soft and will allow movement.

If you are running stick on weights and dual state foam you have to carve a channel in you inner hard foam that wraps around the weights.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:20 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I forgot to mention that I did take a little bit off that inner ridge that is there to help centre the foam when using the proline wheels.

The left to right movement is what needs to be addressed....I may have to look at building up a little ridge either side of the bead ring but may be a problem with the weights...
Old 09-20-2021, 07:14 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

How much weight are you wanting to run?

SSD and Vanquish make 4 ounce rings for wheels. These replace the rings that come in your current wheels but you have to make sure you get the right size.

If this is the right amount of weight and they fit your wheels it is a much nicer, cleaner option than stick on weights.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:21 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thanks MOguy! I do realize this and agree that it would be a cleaner setup but I would also think that the foams would slip and slide on a ring only setup just as bad if not worse than what I am currently experiencing. At least the added tap and weights offer some form of resistance.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:34 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr lee View Post
Thanks MOguy! I do realize this and agree that it would be a cleaner setup but I would also think that the foams would slip and slide on a ring only setup just as bad if not worse than what I am currently experiencing. At least the added tap and weights offer some form of resistance.
I use the rings with 1 stage foam and weights with the channel cut in them with two stage. BUT I use G8 compound tires. I have tried softer compound and don't like them. They just are not stable enough for side hill and roll up on steep climbs. Even on the class 2 that weights about 5lbs 10ouncs I didn't like softer tires.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:01 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

the wheel weights arent cauzing your issue to me it sounds like your foams are too small for the tire and or to big for the rim
take the outer foam ring off and just leave it run as a single stage foam or glue the layers together or go with one of the foam alturnatives

as foams break down the closed cell foams tend to compress causing them to slide around inside the tire the open cell foam just desitagrates down to basicly nothing if your truck sits on its wheels.when your not using it that will.make the closed cell foams compress faster causing flat spots get enuff.flat spots and the foams go round again but there squished making the inside bigger and the outside smaller alowing them to float inside the tire duel cell foams are alot worse causing problems like your having

for as much as.the foams cost you realy need to take care of them if your like me and cant seem to take care of your foams use a foam alturnitive

Last edited by ferp420; 09-20-2021 at 08:03 AM.
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:11 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I decided to go predator due to the "mostly" cool and wet weather in the UK

I tend to assume that the G8 would behave similarly in hotter climates once it has worked a bit.

Last edited by mr lee; 09-20-2021 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:23 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I decided to go predator due to the "mostly" cool and wet weather in the UK

I tend to assume that the G8 would behave similarly in hotter climates once it has worked a bit.
I often comp indoors, probably 68-75 deg. On occasion out doors 70-100 deg. I know people say the temperature does has allot to do with it and maybe it does but I think allot has to do with breaking the tire in. I think it takes longer for the G8 to break in and people are comparing them out of the bag instead of after they are broke in.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:43 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
the wheel weights arent cauzing your issue to me it sounds like your foams are too small for the tire and or to big for the rim
take the outer foam ring off and just leave it run as a single stage foam or glue the layers together or go with one of the foam alturnatives

as foams break down the closed cell foams tend to compress causing them to slide around inside the tire the open cell foam just desitagrates down to basicly nothing if your truck sits on its wheels.when your not using it that will.make the closed cell foams compress faster causing flat spots get enuff.flat spots and the foams go round again but there squished making the inside bigger and the outside smaller alowing them to float inside the tire duel cell foams are alot worse causing problems like your having

for as much as.the foams cost you realy need to take care of them if your like me and cant seem to take care of your foams use a foam alturnitive
I would totally agree with you, however mine are new!
Old 09-20-2021, 09:47 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I would totally agree with you, however mine are new!
If they are new they will get softer and the problem will get worse.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:52 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
I often comp indoors, probably 68-75 deg. On occasion out doors 70-100 deg. I know people say the temperature does has allot to do with it and maybe it does but I think allot has to do with breaking the tire in. I think it takes longer for the G8 to break in and people are comparing them out of the bag instead of after they are broke in.
Yes I have to admit I am comparing out of the bag or very few uses but I have also noticed this irritating wobble with new G8's as well.

The only G8's that were really good for me were those initial TSL XL's that came with seriously oversized foams. I cut the edge around the entire circumference either side so it looked like a doughnut. That setup had the best of both worlds and always seemed to centre itself
Old 09-20-2021, 10:58 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yes I have to admit I am comparing out of the bag or very few uses but I have also noticed this irritating wobble with new G8's as well.

The only G8's that were really good for me were those initial TSL XL's that came with seriously oversized foams. I cut the edge around the entire circumference either side so it looked like a doughnut. That setup had the best of both worlds and always seemed to centre itself
Did yo run two stage foam with the G8s or the stock foams?
Old 09-20-2021, 04:56 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I run CI lil novas in my g8 hyrax. One of them wobbles a bit, but doesnt seem to hurt performance. I can re align it n itll go back to a wobble. I just keep on keepin on, no need to fight with it. 4.75 tire with 4.75 dual stage foams, they do a great job imo
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:21 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
Did yo run two stage foam with the G8s or the stock foams?
Only the oversized stock foams in the TSL XL's!

If only a set of tyres, wheels and foams did not cost an arm and five balls hairs, I could buy all sorts and test and tune till I find the right combination
Old 09-21-2021, 05:11 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:

I am running 8 x 5g weights, that are stuck and wrapped with insulation tape, on the outer part of the beadlock internal ring.
If I'm reading this right, I assume the insulation tape comes in contact with inner part of the tire foam? If correct, is the outer surface of the insulation tape fairly smooth? That could be your problem. For giggles, try adding a layer of anti-skit (skateboard tape) over top of the insulation tape to give the inner foams something to grab onto.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:27 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheTrail View Post
If I'm reading this right, I assume the insulation tape comes in contact with inner part of the tire foam? If correct, is the outer surface of the insulation tape fairly smooth? That could be your problem. For giggles, try adding a layer of anti-skit (skateboard tape) over top of the insulation tape to give the inner foams something to grab onto.
I get what you say here and appreciate the idea however the insulation tape is actually providing more resistance than the polished or machined surface of the internal bead ring. If I had to add some sticky sandpaper or anti skid tape that would definitely work for a few runs but then as it starts to rub and move a little it would effectively start sanding and wearing the inner part of the foam and then eventually become worse than when I started.

It seems there is no answer to this problem and you have to find a decent balance and compromise! I just would love to know what others are currently doing compared to my method and determine if it would eliminate or at most reduce the wobble to some degree....
Old 09-21-2021, 07:37 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It seems there is no answer to this problem and you have to find a decent balance and compromise! I just would love to know what others are currently doing compared to my method and determine if it would eliminate or at most reduce the wobble to some degree....
i run a smaller tire inside the outer tire i call it the inner tire suport system but it got renamed the whitetrash terdunkin tire system cause turdunkin is cooler i guess lol i dont know

its kinda mimics a internal beadlock system used by the military and by offroaders it also sometimes called the runflat system cause you dont need any air in the outer tire the internal system will suport the rig while the outer tire provides the traction

basicly the same idea as closed cell foams by creating a air gap between the inside and the outside of the tire its a cheap alturnative if you have some old tiny tires laying around but there are other alturnatives as well
if you ask me you want some 108mm tires tonfit inside.your 4.75 tires to get a decent air gap between the tires but thats just me and what im doing

Last edited by ferp420; 09-21-2021 at 07:49 AM.
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote

How do I prevent wheel wobble? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheel wobble issue Panah_Pete Axial SCX10 II 7 10-16-2016 07:16 PM
Yeti wheel wobble Phant0m 2.2 Scale Rigs 3 03-14-2016 02:07 PM
Wheel Wobble Farmers00 Vaterra Twin Hammers 26 03-20-2014 10:50 PM
Wheel Wobble h8z2luze Team Losi Comp Crawler 8 07-13-2009 09:52 AM
Wheel Wobble JaDeR Axial AX-10 Scorpion 13 03-30-2009 11:41 PM