Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: a tire question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2021, 04:56 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default a tire question

Hi folks.
I have been looking at getting some new 2.2 tires for my new Ridgerock.
I did find some that might work but on plastic rims. I do have a new set of beadlock rims for the new tires. The plastic rims do not appear to be beadlock so I imagine glued on. There are foam inserts. I have seen on YouTube about how to unglue tires but wondered if doing this would affect the foam inserts.
Any suggestions or help would be great.
Regards
Tar
Tar18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2021, 11:09 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: a tire question

Depends what method you use to unglue them. Baking (my preferred method) or other gentle heating method, doesn't hurt tires or foams, but if those wheels are ABS instead of nylon, you'll end up with a smoldering puddle of wheel... but if that's the case, the wheel wasn't worth saving anyway. If you're boiling, all components *should* be safe, but crappy ABS wheels may deform a little. If you're using acetone, the tires will be fine, but again, ABS wheels will start to smear, and it's a 50/50 chance with the foams, depending what they're made out of. ABS wheels aren't very common anymore, but I mention it because my kid's Redcat had them, and I don't know what the Ridgerock uses. I'd just put them on a sheet of foil in the oven at 325-350 and start checking on them after 15 minutes or so. If they don't pop off easily, just put them in longer.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:18 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

The boiling method is hit or miss, depending on how good the glue job is. A solid glue job will withstand boiling to the point that you'll deform the wheels before your tires will come loose.

It seems the baking method is more reliable and preferred by most. I'll be trying the bake method for my next tire de-gluing. I've had too much mixed results with boiling.
Fallen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 11:39 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Just use the microwave ....lol
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:14 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Just use the microwave ....lol
I fully realize you're trying to be funny here, but kids read these forums...

DO NOT use a microwave to attempt to remove tires from wheels.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 02:27 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
... but kids read these forums...
They shouldnt ...and BTW nowadays they do way more dangerous stuff they see on YT than chucking plastic wheels in a microwave.
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 08:32 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Hi folks.
Thanks for the comments on the right way to un-glue tires.
I am in the process of trying to get new tires for my Ridgerock and having a hard time selecting. If I may ask again any suggestions. I like the Proline line of tires but up here in Canada they can get pricey. I just find that the stock tires on the Ridgerock are not sticky enough. I like the rig and now to get new tires.
Thanks again folks
Regards
Tar
Old 11-05-2021, 08:47 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar18 View Post
Hi folks.
Thanks for the comments on the right way to un-glue tires.
I am in the process of trying to get new tires for my Ridgerock and having a hard time selecting. If I may ask again any suggestions. I like the Proline line of tires but up here in Canada they can get pricey. I just find that the stock tires on the Ridgerock are not sticky enough. I like the rig and now to get new tires.
Thanks again folks
Regards
Tar
What terrain do you drive on?

I find a good all around tire, and still probably my favorite, is Proline Tsl's. The 2.2 version in G8 compound is 5.4" tall and good at almost everything. However more specialized tires will out perform them in their special areas. (Boggers in Mud, or Krawlers in rock.) They do tend to hold their own and fit my driving style.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:31 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I've gotten a whole lot of tires off of a whole lot of wheels, and in my experience, the "best" method requires: some thick gloves, a heatgun, and a bottle of CA debonder. The tires I've removed most are those from Traxxas, and they must employ Glue Wizards, Masters of the Gluing Arts. I've gotten ProLine tires completely off the rims with heavy throttle and a parking lot. Not kidding.

I start with one side, and slowly apply heat with the heatgun until the bead begins to loosen. Once you see a gap form between the wheel and the tire, squirt some debonder in there and move on to another wheel/tire combo. After that combo has sat hot for a few minutes, you can usually just peel that side of the bead right off.

If you're patient, you can preserve all four wheels, tires, and foams. Takes probably an hour to do a full set using this method. If your hands don't already have good heat tolerance, after this... they will.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:25 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Now I just have to find a set of tires and if they have glued on tires, I now know how to do it.
I crawl on rocks, gravel and other trails that I have in the country.
If any other suggestions for tires to look at please let me know.
Regards
Tar
Old 01-06-2022, 07:22 PM   #11
Hal
Quarry Creeper

I have to say I have had great luck with the heat gun method . No foams were hurt during the dismounting of these tires. As for tires I do really like the Trenchers in predator compound both 1.9 and 2.2 are really good on rocks and do pretty fair all around. You may want the G8 compound if it's just a trail rig. Look pretty scale too.
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote

a tire question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire foam question. WARNING!!! Noob question! tokdl Tires and Wheels 6 05-07-2014 10:55 AM
Tire question Bbwolf Tires and Wheels 3 03-02-2014 09:31 AM
Tire question Davenportdiesel Axial Wraith 2 02-08-2014 10:13 PM
tire question scale4x4 Tires and Wheels 2 03-23-2010 02:35 PM
tire question mastathug0 Tires and Wheels 3 07-05-2007 08:35 PM