Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: 7"+ outside diameter 1/8 rock crawling tires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2022, 01:40 PM   #1

Default 7"+ outside diameter 1/8 rock crawling tires

Hi happy peeps!

I am making my 1/10 Traxxas Summit into a rock crawler so I'm chasing decent soft high walled rock tires. Louise used to sell a decent rock tire but seems they stopped making them. Lots of smaller rock tires around but I can't find anything in 1/8 ish scale, minimum of 7" diameter (larger the better), and then find wheels to suit with 17mm hex.
I'm trialing Proline Trenchers and Louise Uphill, I've actually found the stock Summit Canyon A/T tires better performing when doing steep rock climbs.
Any suggestions very much welcomed.
AussieHoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2022, 04:45 AM   #2
Hal
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 7"+ outside diameter 1/8 rock crawling tires

If you plan on comping, 7 inch would be too tall. Unles you plan on running in super class. Then they would probably be to small to be any good. Most of the guys (and girls) who run tires that big build their own. That means find a rim the size you want to run and cut tires ang glue them together to get the diameter you need. It may take 6 or more tires to build 4 the diameter you are looking to get.You will probably have to build your own foams also. If you want a 2.2 tire, the largest diameter I know of are JConcepts and they are around 6 inch. Good compound buf not 7 inch.
Now if you only want to bash with your rig ...anything goes. Don't forget you will have to gear down your transmission to deal with those big meats.good luck
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:25 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Look at scx6 proline Hyrax tires. Then stock axial tires are decent or there is rc4wd. The Rc4wd are definitly stiffer carcass but 40 series crushers are still "soft" and can be siped to do a little better. There are others but those would be choice for crawling. You will have piles of options soon due to the scx6 m guessing.
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:31 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Here are the slingers 7.5" tall. Scroll down they are pictured on a summit for reference

https://store.rc4wd.com/Mud-Slingers...res_p_752.html
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 05:05 AM   #5

Thanks so much for your suggestions guys, very much appreciated.
I hadn't been notified there was action happening here.
I'm a flyboy since the mid 1970's, seldom had cars or boats, so this is a new learning curve for me.
Definitely no comps or racing, this is just a personal challenge. I don't thrash my toys, never submerged or jumped, just realistic fpv experience.
Here's my Summit as it stands at the moment, a works in progress. Low range gearing is good enough for what I'm doing, about to install a Hobbywing Quicrun 880 with the programming card, hoping it will make crawling a better experience than with the stock Traxxas esc, particularly with drag braking etc. I have some more spotties to put on, along with a CC ubec to cope better.
I've swapped shocks front to back, tightened down the slipper clutch, and tempted to mod the servo saver.
Looking at these wheels:
https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-Dick-C...ls_p_4237.html
Tossing up between these two tyres, love the Mickeys but not sure if they'd be as good as the Mudslingers:
https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-Mickey...es_p_4221.html
https://store.rc4wd.com/Mud-Slingers...res_p_752.html

If anyone is interested I'll report back with my progress, eventually a video or two.

Last edited by AussieHoppy; 01-21-2022 at 05:09 AM.
Old 01-21-2022, 05:07 AM   #6

A pic with the Louise Uphill tyres...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/15wrv58tqi...11527.jpg?dl=0

7"+ outside diameter 1/8 rock crawling tires - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1.9" tires with less than 4" outer diameter? fyrstormer Tires and Wheels 7 04-25-2015 06:33 PM
"REAL" Rock Crawling Tires From Imex! Bansheeboy11 Traxxas Crawlers 20 06-18-2014 08:22 AM
SOCIAL+ "BRAGGING RIGHTS" QLD ROCK CRAWLING Rnd 2 luxenberg Videos! 0 02-24-2013 10:40 PM
"arguably the best rock-crawling tires available." d-fly Tires and Wheels 10 06-13-2009 12:24 PM