Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: 3D printed tire inserts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2022, 05:37 PM   #21

Default Re: 3D printed tire inserts?

I wouldn't waste my time or materials trying to print my own. I will gladly buy 3B anti-foams knowing how great they perform and last.
h0td1sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2022, 04:22 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0td1sh View Post
I wouldn't waste my time or materials trying to print my own. I will gladly buy 3B anti-foams knowing how great they perform and last.
You spend 70$ on some inserts nobody really knows how they will hold up in the long run?..well each to their own ...you can buy a lot of TPU with that.

Last edited by themountain; 03-10-2022 at 04:25 AM.
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 06:04 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

I tried the antifoams with brand new alien snot rock beasts over the weekend. I like them for the most part, but I wasn't able to make a couple lines I could with my stupid soft pitbull dual stage foams. I'm used to being able to let the sidewall bind up and form to rock edges and whatnot. These don't allow for that as much. I'm sure the pros outweigh the cons, though. I'll need to run them a few more times, to know for sure. They definitely make tires and wheels go together easy, though.

Pic for no reason.
Attached Images

DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 06:53 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
I tried the antifoams with brand new alien snot rock beasts over the weekend. I like them for the most part, but I wasn't able to make a couple lines I could with my stupid soft pitbull dual stage foams. I'm used to being able to let the sidewall bind up and form to rock edges and whatnot. These don't allow for that as much. I'm sure the pros outweigh the cons, though. I'll need to run them a few more times, to know for sure. They definitely make tires and wheels go together easy, though.

Pic for no reason.
i would guess that truck is to light for that style of insert

i think they would work better in a heavy scale rig
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 07:29 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post

Pic for no reason.
Which Anti-Foams did you get? I have seen them on trucks down to 4lbs. The soft are about as soft as most stock foams but still have amazing sidewall support

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
wblteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 07:33 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
You spend 70$ on some inserts nobody really knows how they will hold up in the long run?..well each to their own ...you can buy a lot of TPU with that.
I have been running some for over 2 years now. No breakdown yet. They see tons of water, mud, and snow. I also don't treat my trucks very well, lol. I am very rough on them.

Old 03-12-2022, 10:07 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Default 3D printed tire inserts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblteen View Post
I have been running some for over 2 years now. No breakdown yet. They see tons of water, mud, and snow. I also don't treat my trucks very well, lol. I am very rough on them.

Haters gonna hate…

I personally would love to get a set.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 03:10 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Which Anti-Foams did you get? I have seen them on trucks down to 4lbs. The soft are about as soft as most stock foams but still have amazing sidewall support
Dual stage. It could have been the brand new tires, too. I need more time to test them/get used to them. I got less than an hour in before it had a pretty spectacular fall that bent the frame and ended my crawling for the day.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 05:19 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

All I have seen is that the first batch of them had mayor quality issues...maybe its better now,who knows....If you go 3D I would invest in one of D440s new ones...they are made with two types of quality TPU.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/d440rc...ly&__tn__=EH-R

Last edited by themountain; 03-13-2022 at 05:21 AM.
Old 03-13-2022, 06:18 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
All I have seen is that the first batch of them had mayor quality issues...maybe its better now,who knows....If you go 3D I would invest in one of D440s new ones...they are made with two types of quality TPU.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/d440rc...ly&__tn__=EH-R
Yes, the earlier ones didn't look the greatest. But you can't compare them to the other ones out there as I have not seen anyone using the same filment yet. Ours is much much softer and harder to print. The prints have gotten much better and along with that the company I buy the filament from has gotten a lot better at making this particular filament. They went from 1 batch a year to a batch a month, I can tell differences in each batch with how it prints and it has gotten much better.

Our SCX6 Anti-Foams are made from two types of material as well. That was done after many variations and testing and not because I saw someone else do it. You can't tell me these other guys have been working on these for almost 3 years now. I've had dozens and dozens of variations and sent these all over the country for testing going back to early 2020

Old 03-13-2022, 07:08 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

I was not talking about how they look like.....first batch had major quality issues(layer separation, stiff when cold,etc.)
wblteen I get the feeling you want to misuse this thread to push your product...thats okey but just tone it down a bit.
There are tons of things going on in the moment.. we should wait and see where it is heading....as I said before I was really into the whole printing inserts idea ,but I honestly think its still very basic.

Last edited by themountain; 03-13-2022 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-13-2022, 07:27 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I was not talking about how they look like.....first batch had major quality issues(layer separation, stiff when cold,etc.)

wblteen I get the feeling you want to misuse this thread to push your product...thats okey but just tone it down a bit.

There are tons of things going on in the moment.. we should wait and see where it is heading....as I said before I was really into the whole printing inserts idea ,but I honestly think its still very basic.
If you notice this is the only thread I have commented on more than once.

For the stiff when cold that's not possible, as we have only used on type of filament for the softs, dualstage, 4.19s, and the outer of the SCX6. I have made a lot of samples in other materials that have been sent out and made there way into multiple peoples hands. For production we have used only 1 type.

For the layer seperation I would like to see a photo. If it was seperating it was most likely a blemish that was packaged by accident. We have quite the pile of QA'd prints. If it is what I'm thinking that "layer seperation" was designed into the chamfer of the softs to try and make them as soft as possible. It is only visible on one side as the bottom side gets squished a touch on the first layer.

I do agree it's basic, that's why I think it's good.

Old 03-14-2022, 08:21 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
If you notice this is the only thread I have commented on more than once.
now youve done it

if your not carfull rcc is gona want there cut of the profits
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 08:28 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
now youve done it

if your not carfull rcc is gona want there cut of the profits
Only trying to address concerns

Old 03-14-2022, 08:29 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Old 03-14-2022, 09:47 AM   #36
Rock Crawler

Quote:

well...not really
Old 03-14-2022, 10:41 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

I can't get behind anything Tom Asher is a part of since he's a liar with shitty products anyway but I don't see plastic lasting nearly as long as foam. Yes foam breaks down but that's all just part of the tuning process.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:26 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
well...not really

Sniper4370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:35 PM   #39

Quote:
I bought 2 sets, actually. After seeing how well they were made, I knew it wouldn't be worth my time and expense to try and duplicate them.
h0td1sh is offline   Reply With Quote

3D printed tire inserts? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire foam inserts The Punisher Axial Yeti XL 1 08-14-2017 06:35 AM
Tire Inserts?? TheNewbie Newbie General 14 11-03-2015 08:51 AM
Idea for tire inserts... Ralphy Tires and Wheels 4 06-25-2008 12:19 PM
New Tire Inserts Available Now!!! kreepykrawler Tires and Wheels 1 06-09-2007 10:35 AM
New Tire Inserts Available!!! kreepykrawler HPI Wheely King 4 06-06-2007 04:52 PM