Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Cheap Chinese Wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2023, 06:23 AM   #41

Default Re: Cheap Chinese Wheels

Is there a good or desirable width to look for in 2.2 tires? I was looking at Amazon cheapest and noticed they go from around 25mm to 38mm.
bmxbryant09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2023, 08:28 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxbryant09 View Post
Is there a good or desirable width to look for in 2.2 tires? I was looking at Amazon cheapest and noticed they go from around 25mm to 38mm.

the narrower wheels give the tire just a hair more tire hight and a narrower tire thats putting more pressure on the lugs that are making contact

the wider rim the tire will be shorter and wider giving the tire more flotation on soft or loose terrain

so for exsample a narrow wheel whould be better on the rocks and hard surfaces

a wide tire would be better on sand wet mud and fluffy snow

to be honest the differance on a rc is almost unnoticable so i think it comes down to preferance on looks

Last edited by ferp420; 01-14-2023 at 08:33 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 12:54 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
the narrower wheels give the tire just a hair more tire hight and a narrower tire thats putting more pressure on the lugs that are making contact

the wider rim the tire will be shorter and wider giving the tire more flotation on soft or loose terrain

so for exsample a narrow wheel whould be better on the rocks and hard surfaces

a wide tire would be better on sand wet mud and fluffy snow

to be honest the differance on a rc is almost unnoticable so i think it comes down to preferance on looks
Got it, looks like I'll stick with a more narrow rim. I don't plan on taking it in too much soft terrain. No mud for me like in the full size crawler.
Old 01-14-2023, 04:41 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

I just got a set of 1.9 Treals today, first set of non-big brand wheels I've bought. Very pleased with them, excellent finish and look good.
They're all made in China and cheaply. Otherwise they'd be made right here in the good ole USA.
Can thank our shithead politicians and globalist phucktards.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 05:09 PM   #45
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I can't recommend these enough. They are over 25mm wide, and the fit and finish are excellent. You get four for $50 on eBay.

casco_bay_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 03:32 AM   #46
Pebble Pounder

I like them ...

Sent from my CPH1937 using Tapatalk
BP6666VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 01:27 PM   #47

I dont see why anyone wouldnt want to save money on these cheap knockoffs. What benefit is there for spending more on wheels?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
chevyjlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 12:25 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

You paying $50 on Amazon, is overpaying. Aliexpress has 35mm wheels for $31, 45mm wheels for 42. Those 25mm are less than 30 there too. If toure going to be cheap, be the cheapest and shop around.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 01:01 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
You paying $50 on Amazon, is overpaying. Aliexpress has 35mm wheels for $31, 45mm wheels for 42. Those 25mm are less than 30 there too. If toure going to be cheap, be the cheapest and shop around.
Depends. That extra money is for a thing called "convenience." I've bought sets of plain-jane Method-clone 1.9s for $22 a set (and never more than $36) and had them from Amazon the next day. Waiting 2+ weeks to potentially save $10-15? Nah.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 01:26 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyjlewis View Post
I dont see why anyone wouldnt want to save money on these cheap knockoffs. What benefit is there for spending more on wheels?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
I like to think it's mostly branding and design. As far as I know, I haven't seen a comparison/test between 2 of the same wheels with one of them having an American brand on it (ie Vanquish/Hobbysoul).

I think we all like to save money wherever we can. But also brands like Locked Up, I find their designs to be exclusive which is definitely fair in price and someone like myself has invested in a set.

Overall, buying a cheap set of wheels because someone likes the way they look and they are nice enough quality to them is one thing, but owning a set of wheels that can be sourced not only by a single brand but also replicate a 1:1 design is another. In my eyes, wheels (also speaking 1:1) can make or break a rig.

PS I love my Locked Up set!!

Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 04:58 PM   #51
RCC Addict

One of the slickest looking rigs on here lately ^^^. And yep... part of that sexiness brought by LURC.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:10 AM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
Depends. That extra money is for a thing called "convenience." I've bought sets of plain-jane Method-clone 1.9s for $22 a set (and never more than $36) and had them from Amazon the next day. Waiting 2+ weeks to potentially save $10-15? Nah.
Ah, see, I'm usually never in any rush to get things delivered. Although ill have to check Amazon for wheels now too.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 07:00 PM   #53

I always forget ebay is still a thing with how convenient Amazon has become. I haven't purchased anything from aliexpress either.
Old 01-20-2023, 05:38 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Just picked up a set of the deep-dish 10-spoke steelies on Amazon for $23. One day shipping to boot.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:42 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
Just picked up a set of the deep-dish 10-spoke steelies on Amazon for $23. One day shipping to boot.
Nice score! I need to order up a set. What about tires? Are Amazon specials decent?
Old 01-21-2023, 12:40 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Nice score! I need to order up a set. What about tires? Are Amazon specials decent?
Off-brand tires will perform noticeably different than the rest.

If you are looking for long-life rubber, and have lots of abrasive dry rock around - they can be good for bashing around in that situation.

They just don't have the nicer gummy compounds available.

You CAN drive around a less-than sticky tire, if you pick your lines right and have good throttle control.

Sometimes, that's actually fun!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 08:53 AM   #57
Quarry Creeper

I think everyone should try at least one set of Amazon specials, if just to give them a solid benchmark for "future expectations." None of them are very good for rock crawling, but there are those instances where you can find the wheel-n-tire bundle where the tires end up costing $0-10 for the whole set. But yeah... they're all pretty bad. A cut up set of Canyon Trails, anything Duratrax, most any "name brand" tire will do a lot better, and some of the options are borderline economical. Duratrax Deep Woods are great at $21 a pair, and the foams aren't garbage.
Old 01-21-2023, 11:13 AM   #58
I wanna be Dave

theres a tire for every terrain

were i live right now my austar chiwampers were better than my pitbull rock beasts and my brazerkers on the same rig

i have been running axial r40 krawlers on my trx4 and they are kicking but better than proline or pitbulls on the same rig the only tires that work better are the jconcept ruptures

the rock here is like 10 grit sandpaper extremely ruff and.grippy rock

when i lived in the mountains and.crawled alot of wet polished granite rocks the chiwampers are r40 tires sucked balls and hyrax worked great the ruptures worked great too

so it really depends on the rig and the terrain cheap tires can work better than exspensive ones it just all depends
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 11:17 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

I'm curious to try these, I kind of like the siping in the lugs. Although no idea if they'd make a difference, but they have some decent reviews though.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MVYLXHV

Edit: Sweet, just found a vid review of them on a Capra which is what I was looking at them for to replace the OE tires.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20LvrtquqW0

Last edited by Thorsteenster; 01-21-2023 at 11:36 AM.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:29 PM   #60

Thanks for the reply. I'll probably pick up some name brand tires for my capra then

Cheap Chinese Wheels - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
are cheap chinese tire getting better ferp420 Tires and Wheels 6 06-08-2019 07:39 PM
Cheap Chinese ESCs Alteredgasser57 Electronics 24 03-25-2019 06:06 AM
Cheap Chinese beadlock problems lasllcap@gmail.com Tires and Wheels 9 07-15-2018 09:36 PM
cheap chinese 6x6 CM9000 Chit Chat 9 06-06-2016 06:28 PM