Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Basic wheel info? Hex differences? Wheel hole diameter vs axle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2023, 12:10 PM   #1

Default Basic wheel info? Hex differences? Wheel hole diameter vs axle?

Trying to learn about crawler wheels.

- I know you size them to your vehicle, and the tires need to fit the wheel.
- There are different width tires, some are more scale.
- Some wheel designs won't clear the axle of your car - especially if it is a portal axle.

What I'm not clear on are:
- wheel hex differences. There are different sizes, but apparently Traxxas is different than most, and the Wraith is different again?
- The hole in the wheel. Does it need to match exactly? Some wheel makers sell adjustment plugs. ie: SSD Part No. SSD00406, "Wheel Hub Plugs for TRX4."

I've asked SSD for advice, but would appreciate your thoughts too. I don't want to have to place 3 orders to get all the parts I need. Thanks!

Colin
ColinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2023, 09:43 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Basic wheel info? Hex differences? Wheel hole diameter vs axle?

Nearly all 1/10 1/8 crawlers that use 1.9 or 2.2 wheels have a standard 12mm hex with the nub on the end, or some have a flat face. The bore is near universal these days. Unsure what traxxas does, but I think that their bashers have weird hexes.

The plugs you mention are the same as the nub on most hexes.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/axial-1...xi30429/p24178

Last edited by Gula; 06-27-2023 at 09:53 PM.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 10:23 PM   #3

I'm beginning to see.
The TRX-4 wheel hex's have the raised nub on them, that goes into the portal. The wheel facing side is flat. The stock wheels have a hole that is drilled out to fit the axle nicely, so no added spacer thingy is needed.

The TRX-4 wheel hex's from SSD have the raised nub on both sides. So I assume if I used their hex, I wouldn't need the spacer thing to reduce the size of the hole drilled in the wheel.

Slowly learning. Thanks!
ColinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 02:39 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

My preference is to use a flat wheel hex as that will work with any wheel (I change wheels frequently). If I feel I need a stepped hex (axial or Traxxas) I still prefer the little SSD adapters, these arent needed but they can help center the wheel a tiny bit.

I believe the TRX-4 does need a TRX-4 specific hex as the axle has a larger diameter end (that goes into the hex).

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 06-28-2023 at 02:41 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 07:44 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
My preference is to use a flat wheel hex as that will work with any wheel (I change wheels frequently). If I feel I need a stepped hex (axial or Traxxas) I still prefer the little SSD adapters, these arent needed but they can help center the wheel a tiny bit.

I believe the TRX-4 does need a TRX-4 specific hex as the axle has a larger diameter end (that goes into the hex).
Fairly sure my Wraith has the Hexes with the nubs on the wheels side.
And I have 2.2" wheels mounted. Not sure if the nub is required with the 1.9" wheels on a Wraith ?
Possibly they can utilize a flat hex as the axle shaft diameter fits tighter in the hex.
Fairly certain the hex with the nubs is required on the hex because the 2.2" wheels are drilled out
slightly larger then the axle shafts diameter.
And they are required as a spacer to center the wheels.
I have never utilized 1.9" wheels on my Wraith and so I really don't know.
I do know that my 1.9" wheels on my SCX-10 doesn't have nubs on the hex.

Last edited by TacoCrawler; 08-20-2023 at 07:51 PM.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 10:34 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The wheels using a bolt-on hex hub, such as the Vanquish SLW hubs, have the larger hole and use the machined boss (or nub as you've called it) on the hub to center the hub to the wheel. 1.9 and 2.2 wheels with the bolt-on hex hub both have the center hole drilled out for the machined boss on the hub.

This system is more specific to the wheel and hub than it is to manufacturer or model RC. It just turns out, I believe Axial has used this as their standard for all models with the AR60 axles.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 03:53 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler48 View Post
The wheels using a bolt-on hex hub, such as the Vanquish SLW hubs, have the larger hole and use the machined boss (or nub as you've called it) on the hub to center the hub to the wheel. 1.9 and 2.2 wheels with the bolt-on hex hub both have the center hole drilled out for the machined boss on the hub.

This system is more specific to the wheel and hub than it is to manufacturer or model RC. It just turns out, I believe Axial has used this as their standard for all models with the AR60 axles.
Makes sense to me. : )

And thanks for clarifying that boss machining as opposed to a nub.
I really couldn't remember what it was called. But in my favor I was never a machinist neither.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Basic wheel info? Hex differences? Wheel hole diameter vs axle? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheel hubs have 7mm hole for axle!? Cuiken Tires and Wheels 5 05-07-2021 02:25 AM
axle housing and wheel hex rubbing oosel Axial Yeti 16 08-06-2015 01:01 AM
hex hole axial wheel rounded out repair???? KMS Tires and Wheels 7 06-22-2011 12:36 PM
Super bully wheel hex info BansheeManiac Superclass Crawlers 23 12-05-2010 02:12 AM
Wheel axle diameter... (MIP and stock?) dreadshawn Tamiya TLT Crawlers 1 03-10-2010 01:59 PM