Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Newb how to know if wheels will fit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2022, 05:27 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Newb how to know if wheels will fit?

Ok I'm a newb and there's a lot of parameters here - I'll probably order from amzn so I can return anyway, but want a good first shot.

I have a Capra RTR and have Teal portal covers and weights on order. I'd like to swap out wheels - honestly just for bling right now.

But what should I look at to know they fit - especially if I add those portal covers. I absolutely don't want any wider track - I did a pretty low key competition this weekend and they were 12" spaced and most trucks were narrower than me. So I'm plenty wide - so no extra spacers etc.

Any tips or guide to picking the right size? Or are you really hit or miss on it.
chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2022, 08:37 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Newb how to know if wheels will fit?

you can allways post up the wheels you want to buy and see if anyone has used then with your kuckles
but just in general i would look for a wheel with no back side beadlock ring and usualy have 4 or 5 bolts on the inside to clamp the wheel together
and the slw hubs are really nice there 6 lug but there are alot of different offsets from extremely narrow to extremely wide

or go 2.2s and dont worry about it

Last edited by ferp420; 09-26-2022 at 08:39 PM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:31 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

im with Ferp .... the general ez lock wheels (amzn/eBae* - 5-6 hex bolts on the back ) work well with the portals as they provide plenty of backspacing to get the portal to tuck within the wheel. I have a set of TRX and Vanquish portals and that style are the only ones to work. plus there is plenty of slw hubs in different lengths to play with the offset. There is other players like TGH with very nice sets of beadlocks that work perfect to tuck the portals and likely give you the narrowest offset right off the bat but be ready to drop the $$$ coin for a set. not counting tires and foams.
Speedy-Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 04:35 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Lockedup rc has some nice wheels as well that fit most portals. I run a set on my phoenix/gspeed rig with no issue. But there again, theyre a bit pricey. I tend to buy the vanquish brand for the simple fact i know theyll fit n theyre high quality wheels. But figure on $140+ for a set plus slw hubs to boot
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 05:22 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Great thanks - got some of the amazon ones like you described (Injora) and they fit great. I even added the teal portal covers and weights and they fit fine too (very close).

They do have a maybe a 3/16" wider - offset? - than stock. Not a problem except none of my friends are into this stuff and there's a pretty casual competition group in the area that runs 12" gates with mostly scale trucks. I tried it first time last weekend and I'm wider than most with the Capra already. Not a big deal though - just for fun anyway and maybe the width helps offset the Capra's advantage over the average trail trucks they are running. Mostly it's to have a course to follow to make the crawling more interesting than just choosing my own line which can feel too easy. I'll probably try some 2.2's for fun in the future too.

chilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capra 1.9 fit teal

Newb how to know if wheels will fit? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheels that fit. Hanshotfirst Traxxas TRX-4 8 01-24-2022 06:39 AM
Newb question about wheels 03mach1 Axial Wraith 4 10-18-2015 08:07 PM
What Wheels Fit? The Jackalope Redcat Crawlers 1 03-11-2011 09:39 AM
What wheels fit. Fozzy Down Under Newbie General 5 04-08-2006 01:21 AM
Will these wheels fit? badtodabone Tamiya TLT Crawlers 1 06-18-2005 08:57 PM