Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Softening the tire compound

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2007, 05:35 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Softening the tire compound

I bought a set of the 2.2" Rock Stompers and am not pleased. I know this has been a big topic but I saw the Krawler Tape on JPCustoms and Im wondering if anyones tried it and if it actually works or even matter with the tires. Ive gotten them close to acceptable by cutting and splicing but they need a little more stick and the rubber needs to be softer. Any input on this subject or if youve tried something else thats worked Id appreciate it.
KingGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Read thorugh the threads I'm pretty sure someone tried krawler tape and 1 thread had in how to soften tires.
rocktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:44 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The compound sucks.... No matter what you do you'll never be able to alter the rubber compound. You'll have to change your driving style to suit the traits of the tires.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:44 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

It's definitely not a comp tire if that is what you were hoping for. It's a scale/trail tire meaning its basically for looks with minimal performance except for light trail use.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:23 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Somebody mentioned spraying them with kerosene, letting is sit, then rinsing it off.
I might be wrong... maybe it was another substance. Anyway, there is a post on here about this process... and another thread about crawler tape which didn't work, and the guy sold the tires because he didn't want them.
Barillms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:31 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Diesel fuel also works well in softening tires, we use it to get max traction on a clay track.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:37 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Lacquer thinner and automatic transmission 50/50 fluid will soften rubber no problem, but is it wares the tire really fast and when they sit and dry out there going to be harder than when you started. Brush it on and rap with Saran (sp) wrap let em sit at least 24 hrs they will be softer.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
RCC Addict

"Goat pee" or "Wintergreen" work great. If you have access to creso try a 50/50 with acrysol. Try rolling it in the inside also.
limited77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:11 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Soak them in Buggy Grip, then seal them up in a zip lock bag overnight.

You can also "flame" them, but that can be dangerous.
todd1803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:32 AM   #10

whats buggy grip
milla1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:18 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

It's a tire traction compound designed for RC offroad racing
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJX76&P=ML
Old 12-20-2007, 10:08 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

BUGGY GRIP!!! wow I havent herd that in a long time.
I forgot about it. That brings me back to 1/10 elec. days
tdeal823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:24 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGee View Post
I bought a set of the 2.2" Rock Stompers and am not pleased. I know this has been a big topic but I saw the Krawler Tape on JPCustoms and Im wondering if anyones tried it and if it actually works or even matter with the tires. Ive gotten them close to acceptable by cutting and splicing but they need a little more stick and the rubber needs to be softer. Any input on this subject or if youve tried something else thats worked Id appreciate it.
WD-40 will soften up the rubber. If you can get a new Bingo Dabber (no ink) and fill it with WD-40 then clean your tires soap and water, let dry. Then rub the D-40 all around the rubber, careful not to get it along the glue seam (if you not using beadlocks). Make sure it looks wet. Then wipe off the excess d-40....

I know what your are thinking... D-40 makes thing slippery... but the rubber soaks up the chemical that softens the rubber, and you wipe off the lube portion.

Soft rubber slicks from D-40 are just as effective as treaded tires at the indoor track I race at. I have not ever tried this on my crawler tires, I use Moab XL's and they are soft enough.
30percent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:30 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

You will never be able to change the compound of a tire. If you don't have a good compound to work with from the begining then nothing you do will change it. Not buggy grip, gas, simple green, WD-40, thinner, trasmission fluid, Adolphs Meat Treatment, etc.....

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:21 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo View Post
You will never be able to change the compound of a tire. If you don't have a good compound to work with from the begining then nothing you do will change it. Not buggy grip, gas, simple green, WD-40, thinner, trasmission fluid, Adolphs Meat Treatment, etc.....

If you get a chance to come by MHOR in Colorado they will show you how effective WD-40 is on changing the tire compound... It makes them 2x as soft. I know for sure it makes the rubber softer.

Don't want to start a word war, but I know it works.

Sponsored racers Matt Chambers, Dustin Evans, Kody Newmandall, Lars Johnson all use it at the track. Even the track it'self has a rule that is one of the only tire soften compounds you can use.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:36 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I'm sure it softens the tire but it does not change the compound. You can't take a regular tennis shoe and WD40 it and turn it into a 5-10 climbing shoe. It's the compound in crawling that makes the tire hook up not the softness.

Thats all I was getting at.

Just out of curiousity what does MHOR race?

Old 12-20-2007, 12:48 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Electric indoor off-road.
Rubbaneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I'm sure it softens the tire but it does not change the compound. You can't take a regular tennis shoe and WD40 it and turn it into a 5-10 climbing shoe. It's the compound in crawling that makes the tire hook up not the softness.

Thats all I was getting at.

OH! My bad I thought when refering to compound that was the toughness of the rubber. How hard or soft they are... You can take a hard compound tire like GRP and D-40 it, it will feel like a Crimefighter M2 after.

MHOR races indoor off-road and out-door Onroad. Like I said they use it on the 2WD tires that have all the tread worn off, or they buy a brand new pair of Losi X3000 pinks and dremel all the tread off, then apply d-40 to soften the rubber. It's madness to me, but they spank with them. I never tried it on crawler tires, but I would guess it would soften it just the same.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:06 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Now that makes sense. I can see how you could soften up a hard tire with WD-40 and that may help especially in the cold weather (just like a softer D meter with on-road tires).

A softer tire will add some level to traction but I still think you need that good compound like the Losi Claws to get the most out of a tire.

Adolfs is still the best for softening up tires though
Old 12-20-2007, 02:07 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

When people first started to run slicks on clay tracks, we'd put diesel fuel on them as a tire treatment. Made the whole building stink.