Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Another set of Kongs being chopped!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2004, 10:51 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Another set of Kongs being chopped!!

Well... I've cut up 2 tires so far, fairly easy but my cuts are not very straight ...... no beers in me yet, wait 'till tomorrow night when I finish cutting the other 2 up. I still have to get some ruberized glue to stick 'em back together but before I do.... I want some opinions on which tread you all think would work the best for an all around crawling tire(wet rocks, dry rocks, dirt, sandy terrain, etc).

My 3 choices I'm dealing with now.......

1) It's either like Diglers which keeps the traditional "V" chevron pattern:

2) Like some that were chopped up via Aussie, Ben Boynton:

3) A fully directional pattern I'm thinking about but unsure of how well it'll really work:

What do you guys think, shall I go with #1, #2 or #3 ?? I'm thinking #3 just to be different and see how well it works. If it sucks...it's only money I cut up right? :?
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2004, 11:49 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Another set of Kongs being chopped!!

I am thinking of doing the same thing with mine (#3) and running a mirror image tyre on the other side of the truck. /---\ .

Go for #3 and do something different, besides if they slide you can just add some lugs going the oppisite direction.

Ben
clodossal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 12:00 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

This is what I decided on. I'm not done. I may take the tread I removed and add it in between the lugs to make it more of a mud terrain style tire rather than a tractor tire.

My cuts werent very clean either. I started to worry for a minute. Once I started glueing, That ended my worries. To clean up the look of the tire where the lugs meet, I came up with this design. It made the tire flex alot more. I need to run foams. I removed 1.5" from the tire

http://www.rcpics.net/img/33396
Trac95ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 08:52 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I'd say go for #2 but with side lugs and maybe even some extra treads in between the original ones. I think they look the best when they are that narrow and are a lot lighter too.
CustomCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 12:36 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Well....after narrowing mine, I think I know what I will do the next time differently.
First of all....don't go too narrow. Keep them at 3 or 3.5 inches. When the Kongs get too narrow, they get really unpredictable and the latteral stability is almost lost completely. I know soooooper skinny would look cool but be careful or you'll be relying alot on foams.
I would glue mine back together like the Aussie guy did. It will make it more flexible. I've had to cut a lot of rubber off to get them more flexy.
I would also use a vulcanizing patch to bond the tires back together. Basically, the same stuff Discount Tires uses to patch tires up with.
Be creative but remember......different can sometimes just be... "different", not functional or better. Take the time to figure out what WORKS best for you and use that method.
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 01:01 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I don't plan to make my Kongs super narrow... only remove the center section where the "V" meets. Only removing about 1/2" or so. But plan to narrow the wheels about 1.5-2".

I think I'll be sticking them back together as #3... if you look at the K-Rock tire it's tread flows in the same one way direction but just the blocks are grooved and give an appearance that it's not. I plan to add extra tread, remove tread and do all the goodies... just need to finish it up by Sunday though
Old 07-09-2004, 01:15 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Only a half inch!?! That's hardly worth it. I'd take out a full inch.
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 06:12 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkDigler
Only a half inch!?! That's hardly worth it. I'd take out a full inch.
I was guessing when I posted that.... I measured and came up with just about a full 1" has been removed. I would rather remove too little than too much, much easier to remove than add it would seem.

I guess I'll just see what happens in the next 24hrs All I need now is more beer and I can get busy
Old 07-09-2004, 08:41 PM   #9
Colt Python/SR9c

#3 is different, but with the tread all going that way, it seems that if you would get on an offcamber section, it would just want to slide downhill. it would act like the boggers on side hills. but if your gonna run the right side tires with the tread going / way, i would have the left side going \ way then.that way the kind work against each other to hold up up top on the hill. just don't have all of them the same way like // or \\.. hopefully you understand what my drunk ass is tryin to say

but thats just my worthless opinion, im gonna go get another beer now, go sit back in the corner and STFU
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 09:03 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Okay.. So I'm starting to see everyone saying not to put them into the tread pattern like I was thinking about(#3 image).

But what is the difference between my idea(#3) and the new Imex K-Rock tire OTHER than cutting the tread blocks????

My idea....

K-Rock....

They both run in a single direction, it's just that the K-Rocks have some of the tread blocks cut out to give the look of going different direction... I'm I right or am I smoking something??
Old 07-09-2004, 11:13 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Going with my idea, though changed slightly. One side of the tread is longer than the other.

Prior to cutting my Kongs were ~ 4.5" wide....
Now my Kongs are a full 3" wide...

I have a 1" strip of rubber lining the inside of the joint. That way I have not only the top side of the tread glued but the inside has plenty of grip too. I hope it holds up to my abuse

Let's just say the more I do this the easier it seems to get. Yeah I've only finished 2 tires so far but the first sucked. Second tire went smoothly, only minor cussing when I had more glue on my fingers than on the tires 30 minutes after finishing the 2nd tire it felt really good and solid, while the first tire I did still felt like it needed another 6 hours to dry.

Damn... who ever though up this tire cut'n'shut crap :? It sucks ass big time. Glad I'm half way done now and it's 10:15PM... by 1AM I should be finished with the other two, or maybe not as I have to get my azz out of bed at 6AM
Old 07-10-2004, 10:12 AM   #12

Toyo those look friggin great. You are going to cut the tread thouugh arent you. Otherwise the tire will be very stiff right? I would like to see the wheels after you narrow them before you put the tires on. Hope you guys have fun tomorrow. I am finding some really cool spots up here in seattle to crawl. later
Old 07-10-2004, 02:04 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Nice. They look like they will give some good grip.

Where did you buy the rubberized ca? Is the glue hard, or will it flex with the tires?
CustomCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 03:01 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

damn you guys make it look so easy.......I got say those are some really nice kongs.........

can i just use the same super glue I used to glue mine with to glue them back together?
bulletproofcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 03:04 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomCrawler
Where did you buy the rubberized ca? Is the glue hard, or will it flex with the tires?
I'm using some Marine GOOP crap I found at Home Depot.... no LHS near me, okay there's one but I won't set foot in there :?

The Marine GOOP stays flexy, somewhat rubberized. Made for marine grade rubber applications mostly.

I'll find out how good of a job I've done sometime tomorrow when I crawl with them.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:44 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

All 4 tires are now chillin'... just have to wait for the glue to firm up a bit more, by 6AM they should be ready to go!!

Narrowing the rims will be later this week... I've huffed enough fumes for a year

Old 07-10-2004, 08:32 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Looks awesome toyo!! now I just need some bigger tires so I can keep up!!!

Oh, I finally glued my tires to the rims (Hadn't been to avoid breakage) went out on some of the KILLER rock piles here..... Chewed up a side gear (hex) and broke some rod ends.

Maybe I dont need bigger tires?
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 09:54 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Old 07-10-2004, 11:55 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Old 07-13-2004, 10:45 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Some 95% finished pictures hot off the press for ya.......

Wheels are now about 1.5" wide(total width). Still need to toss in a tiny bit of foam and dump about a 1/4 pound per tire of BB's