RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tools, and Procedures (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/)
-   -   is brazing the same as soldering? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/105719-brazing-same-soldering.html)

punkafi888 02-12-2008 09:44 PM

is brazing the same as soldering?

like is says, is brazing the same as soldering. would the solder work? cause i have hundreds of dollars worth of solder. just wondering if that would work.

roktoy 02-12-2008 09:49 PM

No....soldering uses softer materials that generally melt at lower temps and are not as strong as brazing materials.

Soldering will work if you want to work with brass tubing, but brass is relatively weak and heavy.

Jay

DumpsterRC 02-16-2008 12:42 PM

Silver solder such as safety silv 45 works very good. Plumbing type solder, see roktoy's answer.

JasonInAugusta 02-16-2008 04:04 PM

Brazing and soldering are, in effect, the same thing - just at different temps.

In both processes you're joining two items through capillary action with a filler metal when you braze or solder.

Brazing requires higher temps than soldering and is done with a filler that usually has a higher tensile strength than "solder".

You can reheat a brazed or soldered joint and the two pieces can be removed from one another.

punkafi888 02-16-2008 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta (Post 1055748)
Brazing and soldering are, in effect, the same thing - just at different temps.

In both processes you're joining two items through capillary action with a filler metal when you braze or solder.

Brazing requires higher temps than soldering and is done with a filler that usually has a higher tensile strength than "solder".

You can reheat a brazed or soldered joint and the two pieces can be removed from one another.

thankyou this helped very much i have been soldering for maybe 10 years now and am a pro. does lowes or any other place like that have the brazing rods i have looked and cant find any.

TK-twister 02-16-2008 07:19 PM

solder is way too soft for frame structures. brazing and soldering are basicly the same from a process standpoint. But a good rule of thumb is higher the melting temp = stronger weld joints. this only applies in brazing/soldering.

JasonInAugusta 02-16-2008 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punkafi888 (Post 1055763)
thankyou this helped very much i have been soldering for maybe 10 years now and am a pro. does lowes or any other place like that have the brazing rods i have looked and cant find any.

Go to a welding supply shop and get Harris Saftey-Silv. It comes in a roll like solder and should run $10-12/oz.

Quote:

Originally Posted by travis174 (Post 1055913)
solder is way too soft for frame structures. brazing and soldering are basicly the same from a process standpoint. But a good rule of thumb is higher the melting temp = stronger weld joints. this only applies in brazing/soldering.

There are NO weld joints when soldering or brazing.

Welding actually fuses the two parts together with a filler to form one piece.