Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: PHOTO BOX how to: cheap and easy!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Lightbulb PHOTO BOX how to: cheap and easy!

Since I had a few requests about how I made my photo box so I could take better pictures, figured I'd do a quick little write up since I couldn't find the website I found the information from.

This cost me $0 and took all about 10 minutes. I also don't have the best camera but this helped alot. But I do need to purchase a 2nd and 3rd light source since the wife wouldn't let me tear up a couple lamps we weren't using. But a garage sale will probably find me my secondary lights cheap or just hit Lowes or Home depot for some of these. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...Q12&lpage=none

I've also read a few tips on some cool effects to use that I'll try out and update with.

EDIT: I forgot to add about setting up the lights and some other good info..

First I have a little tripod that would be best discribed as a table top type. It's legs only expand to about 6 inches. I set up the camera on the tripo and everything on the floor since my table was in use. using a tripod will help keep you steady.
The light I had on had is similar to the linked one above. it has a little clamp on one end and a light on the other. I just attached it to a chair leg. If I was able to use the table I'd of clamped it to the table top.
The light end rotates so I can manage the way the light shows through the box and at what angle. I also wouldn't use a "soft light" bulb, get a clear one cause the soft white ones suck. (you can see the difference in the House thing posted below).

some of the other good tips I received:
If you want a nice reflective serface. Use a shiny black tile. Something like you'd get from lowes, homedepot or a flooring store. I'll be picking one up to try it out soon and give feed back on what I get.
Also for some cool colored backgrounds, use the tile trick with a green, blue or whatever color poster board on the back end of the box. the site I received the info on had a nice pic of how gradiant the color mixes. Not giving a over whelming solid color.

I'm still trying to find the link as they have some good tips.

Last edited by Double J; 02-22-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

a couple pics I took using it.

and great for ebay stuff. with this one by bright bulb blew up on me so all I had were soft white and you can tell. It didn't have enought light showing through so I also had to pull my small little shop light over my table off to add more light and it still wasn't really enough, but gave it a decent glow.?

Last edited by Double J; 02-22-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I need to make one of these! Thanks for the writeup!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I need to make one of these! Thanks for the writeup!
Thanks the only bad thing is I need a bigger box for super tubers and roller heading out the door.
So I'll be spending a little money on a wooden one, with white plexi glass(maybe) that will fold up to save space.
I'll add the plans to this thread later, once I get everything worked out in my head.. so far I've got 1X1's, some hinges. Just need to figure out the configuration to make it fold flat(ish).
Old 02-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #5
[HOONIGAN]

Thanks for the write up JJ.
I'm wonder what to use for a bigger one to replace the poster board. I've always got the seams on the poster board visible cause they're too small. Any ideas?
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:06 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

first thing that comes to mind is that paper that is rolled up, that you can pull 3' or 10' off of. Maybe find it at a school supply place, not sure if a crafts store would have it. You know the stuff they use for the football players to break through when running on the field...

next I'd look around Lowes or Home depot for something that is flat white, large and flexiable enough to work well.

What size? I know you can get some pretty big poster board.

maybe some thick type of fabric from a fabric store, or just use a sheet maybe.?

I have these on ebay and since my box was way to small I threw a blacket down used my crappy soft white light and shop light (floresent) and was able to get a somewhat same affect.
They are still listed if anyone is interested. LOL..http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE:IT&ih=004

Old 02-22-2008, 04:47 PM   #7
[HOONIGAN]

I've tried a sheet, it doesn't work so well. It's too transparent and you can see shadows through it of the floor and wall corner.

I need something 3-4' wide and probably 6-8' long. I've looked at Hobby Lobby, and wal mart with no luck. I just don't know were to look for big poster board or those rolls of paper.:neutral:
Old 02-22-2008, 04:55 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecker View Post
I've tried a sheet, it doesn't work so well. It's too transparent and you can see shadows through it of the floor and wall corner.

I need something 3-4' wide and probably 6-8' long. I've looked at Hobby Lobby, and wal mart with no luck. I just don't know were to look for big poster board or those rolls of paper.:neutral:
If you think white house wrap would work, I have a roll of unprinted-on Tyvek that I could send you off an 8' piece or so. Might end up being too transparent also though. Let me know.

edit................I'm a poet and don't know it!!!
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:57 PM   #9
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:

Go to the fabric store and have a look around;)

Fleece fabric works well, I've used it many times.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:07 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

How smooth is the tyvek wrap? Would it show the pattern of the fabric in a photo? If I remember correctly it has a tarp like finish to it. I am trying to create a photo box also. The fleece sound like a great idea. Did you use incandescent bulbs? Looks like I can see the yellowing of one. Im going to try the power compact flood lamps they put off a nice white light beam. Thanks for the write up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
edit................I'm a poet and don't know it!!!
Name:  0d5e_1.JPG
Views: 497
Size:  17.3 KB

Last edited by cyberhog05; 02-22-2008 at 05:15 PM.
cyberhog05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:29 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

In the red shots that is a thick fleece blacket we had laying around. And it's super cheap also. Wrecker I'd probably use the fleece before the rolled paper anyway, it's usually easier to find.
I also though of using some leather (fake or real) figured it be cool textured back ground look.?
Old 02-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #12
[HOONIGAN]

Great idea on the fleece, that stuff is super cheap and can fold up nicely for storage. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:09 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

If you have a Smart And Final ask them for some Butcher Paper, it comes in a very large roll, about 2.5ft wide and many yards long.
El Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:47 PM   #14
Web Wheeling

I have bought photo paper in rolls at my local camera store....
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:30 PM   #15
06 Super National Champ

I have rolls of photo paper but one of the things I had to use in a pinch (when B&H Photo forked up my order) was a black sheet.

Now the wife and I don't have black sheets so I went to Walmart, bought a twin sheet set, brought it home, washed/dried it, hit it with a lint roller, then shot pics.

On the dining table. A few boxes behind the sheet to provide a wall and something on top of the sheet to keep it in place and it's good to go.

All of the studio type shots of the Wyatt Bronco were on a black sheet.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:18 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Great idea!!

I am going to make one today.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:42 PM   #17

Thank you for giving us all the wonderful advice. I made my Photo box and it works great!
Ednevel111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:54 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

The wife has a friend who is a professional photograper and she recommeded a white canvas sheet. It's thicker than a bed sheet, and available at most fabric stores.
jagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:27 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Wow didn't know so many of you would have been able to benefit from this.
I'll have a plan of the large wood framed one done soon along with some material suggestios as I find it.

I did score a nice LARGE piece of marble this weekend for free. about 3/4" thick 2.5 long, 1.5' wide or so..
Old 02-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Another great trick I wish I had found out a lot earlier is to diffuse your flash with some lightweight white paper. I've seen complicated tape-n-paper attachments, but I've always just grabbed a spare piece of paper, held it in front of the flash, made sure it wasn't in the lens, and shot. Works great for reducing glare and evening out the lighting.
firebat45 is offline   Reply With Quote