Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Would this work

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2008, 02:04 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Would this work

Guys I used to work in the HVAC industry and I used this silver solder for installing copper pipes in the system. Do any of you think or know it will work with the auto brake lines for building a tuber chassis?

http://americanhvacparts.com/Merchan...tegory_Code=C3

Last edited by Illeagle; 02-28-2008 at 02:05 PM. Reason: added link
Illeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illeagle View Post
Guys I used to work in the HVAC industry and I used this silver solder for installing copper pipes in the system. Do any of you think or know it will work with the auto brake lines for building a tuber chassis?

http://americanhvacparts.com/Merchan...tegory_Code=C3

I know harris saftey silv 45 works... why try and find something else?

if you want to try this new stuff... go for it, you do not need the permission of anyone here to try new ideas.

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
RCC Addict

lol, well it was a more of a DO YOU KNOW if it will work, and not asking permission but thanks for that.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
lol, well it was a more of a DO YOU KNOW if it will work, and not asking permission but thanks for that.
if you search and read every post about brazing and building tubers, you will find one very common thread... pretty much everyone that uses harris 45/56 is overly happy with the result. Yes, some people have used other products and had mixed success, but harris is the clear winner and sure bet when it comes to brazing. I have never seen a "Damn, this harris shit don't work" thread.

with all that being said, I cannot for the life of me, see why anyone wanting to build a tube chassis would go any other route. so with that I say; if you want to try this other stuff, go for it. if you want to assured of a quailty product, go with harris.

p!nK
Old 02-28-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I was a plumber for 11 years and used to do a lot of silver soldering as well. Different stuff totally. The stuff you are using you have to get the copper red hot. Harris Safety silv 56 or 45 melts at 700f. But give it a shot.....
Rocksmith Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Do you have it already? If you do try it...
If you have to go out and buy it. Then go with the proven stuff...
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Default Ya

I do have a bunch of it left over, thats why I was asking. Rocksmith thanks alot, that is the answer I was looking for. I think this stuff has to get up to like 1500 or 1600F before it melts so probably wont work too good if the other stuff melts at 700. thanks alot.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
I do have a bunch of it left over, thats why I was asking. Rocksmith thanks alot, that is the answer I was looking for. I think this stuff has to get up to like 1500 or 1600F before it melts so probably wont work too good if the other stuff melts at 700. thanks alot.
if you have it sitting there..... why not just try it? worst case, you destroy $.50 worth of brake line.

just bothers me when people post up asking if something will work or not when it would actually be faster and more educational for them to simply try it themselves.

p!nK
Old 02-28-2008, 08:26 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Default thanks

Hey Matt, (Mr. Pink) thanks for all your uh... "constructive criticism". My intention was not to "bother" you as you put it, I just wanted some information and or advice. I THOUGHT that is what forums were for. I could care less about ruining the brake line or wasting solder, that wasnt the point of the question. I was hoping someone may have tried the stuff is all. But hey thanks for all your reply's and I'm sure I will get another "VERY INFORMATIVE" one from you.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Hey Matt, (Mr. Pink) thanks for all your uh... "constructive criticism". My intention was not to "bother" you as you put it, I just wanted some information and or advice. I THOUGHT that is what forums were for. I could care less about ruining the brake line or wasting solder, that wasnt the point of the question. I was hoping someone may have tried the stuff is all. But hey thanks for all your reply's and I'm sure I will get another "VERY INFORMATIVE" one from you.
updated my ignore list.

p!nK