6-32 Tap
Tube cutter
Vise Grips
Cutoff tool (Dremel, nips etc)
Measuring device
Marker (Thinner the better)
Drill or Tap Handle

Step 1
Place the 6-32 Ball Links where you need them and measure the distance between the 2

Step 2

Measure the Brakeline to the desired length and mark

Step 3

Using the Vice Grips to hold the brakeline, use the tube cutter to cut the brakeline to the desired length

Step 4

Using the 6-32 tap in either a Drill or a tap handle, tap each end of the brakeline. A depth of anywhere from ¼”-1/2” is good

Step 5

Thread the all-thread into the tapped brakeline… I find it best to use the Vice Grips to hold the brakeline

Step 6

Cut the all-thread, again this is by personal preference, any where from ¼” to 3/16” sticking out of the brakeline is good

Step 7

Thread the Dubro 6-32 Ball links on

Step 8

Attach the completed links in the desired position

Hope this answers some of the questions I get. Also available @ http://www.suburbanchicagorockcrawlers.com/ in the tech section
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Looks really good, but FYI, using a tap in a drill is a risky deal. Taps are notoriously brittle, and when you're using the drill, you can't "feel" how much force is being put on the tap. Broken taps aren't a huge problem in something as simple as a link, but it's a pain if you have to run back to the hardware store to get another one in the middle of a project.

I always tap by hand, maybe use a drill press to get the tap started straight, but that's it. It depends on the material, but usually 1/2 to 1 turn in, followed by 1/4 turn out, to clear the cutting teeth, seems to work good. You develop a feel for it after doing a bunch.
firebat45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

everytime I use a tap handle I snap the tap, when I use the drill I very very rarely do...I normally end up throwing away the tap because its dull. At this point I have prolly made about 75' worth of links in this manner. The main thing you have to watch with using a tap in a drill with brakeline is making sure you get it started straight.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I use 1/4" SS tubing and 4mm SS allthread. No need to tap and strong as hell.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #5
PapaGriz Yo

Very nice writeup, thanks for doing that jetboat.

Couple comments from me:
I use a drill for tapping my links as well, works great. Just use lots of oil and don't force it.

When I cut my brake line, I put the brakeline in my cordless drill. Then I put the tube cutter on (I use the same one as you), then I spin the brakeline with the drill with one hand and crank the tube cutter in with the other. Works great and fast for me.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:23 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
When I cut my brake line, I put the brakeline in my cordless drill. Then I put the tube cutter on (I use the same one as you), then I spin the brakeline with the drill with one hand and crank the tube cutter in with the other. Works great and fast for me.
More work but hey why not.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #7

cool write up, im going to make links for my tuber this week thanks
Clinton1396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #8
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyRizzo View Post
More work but hey why not.
Make your own write up smart guy.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Hey, if the drill works for you that's great. I just wanted to put a bit of a caveat out there in case someone new to this chucks up a tap and tries to tap his link at full speed or something. Slow and straight, its probably just as good as by hand, and a lot easier on the wrist. Hope I didn't piss anyone off, wasn't my intention.
firebat45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:56 PM   #10
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebat45 View Post
Hey, if the drill works for you that's great. I just wanted to put a bit of a caveat out there in case someone new to this chucks up a tap and tries to tap his link at full speed or something. Slow and straight, its probably just as good as by hand, and a lot easier on the wrist. Hope I didn't piss anyone off, wasn't my intention.
I don't think you did. Just as were stating what you have found works best, so were we.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #11

one question for ya jetboat wouldn't it be stronger to get the next size down in all thread and slide the brake tube over that? I was thinking about that after my first post
Clinton1396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:20 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I have only ever bent 1 link I made in this manner, That was on a very heavy super that took about a 15' fall. The problem with going smaller with the all-thread is that you then have to step down with the ball links and that is where I have always seen problems. The best parts about this method are that its fast and cheap. I can make a link in under 2 mins.

Firebat, Didnt tick me off... I included in the directions to use either a drill or tap handle. I prefer a drill.