RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tools, and Procedures (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/)
-   -   best anodizing stripper (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/120334-best-anodizing-stripper.html)

m3kan1k 05-22-2008 08:49 PM

best anodizing stripper

ok guys the best anodizing stripper ive found is whitewall cleaner....it looks like green antifreeze n its alot less toxic that drano or easy off. i tried those two i was most impressed with the whitewall cleaner n from what ive seen its reusable a few times at least.....jus tought id share that

breitenbach14 05-22-2008 09:04 PM

idk? i tryed the easy off oven cleaner and worked terrificly and only in about 2 mins"thumbsup"

saturnpainter 05-22-2008 09:18 PM

Just did mine with easy off, yellow can. works great!!!

m3kan1k 05-22-2008 09:47 PM

ok im not trying to argue but im lettin u kno what i found that works best for me. your welcome to stay with easy off, jus sayin.....i tried it at werk i was strippin some hot racing driveshaft rings, i placed them in the cleaner walked away to take an oil filter off a car n came right back....they were allready silver all the way.....thats all im sayin so you can use easy off or whatever u want....

jmbones 05-23-2008 06:20 AM

I tried the whitewall cleaner I have called Wesley's Bleach-White and it did not work. Then I was at Lowes and they had "Fume Free, lemon scented" Easy Off in the blue can. So I bought that because it was the only kind they had. That didn't work either. Went to Walmart and got the yellow can of Easy Off heavy duty and in a few minutes they were totally clean. And even the heavy duty version of easy off doesn't smell too bad.

m3kan1k 05-24-2008 12:30 PM

yea the whitewall cleaner i have at the shop is what we use to clean the shop floors with. it is not bleach white it is an industrial cleaner you can get at auto detail supply shops....sorry should have spoecified, it looks like neon green....well kinda like antifreeze....it worked the best for me even on other manufuacturers anodizing. actually its made by a local retailer i think so this post is pointless for most of you......

Browncoat 05-24-2008 01:24 PM

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...517/Search.jpg

This post is sponsored by the Search button....

There are several threads on this already. Easy-Off oven cleaner, Drain-o and Liquid Plumr lead the pack in do-it-yourself anodizing removal products. Put the parts in some sort of container, hose down with one of the above products, and about 10 minutes later, the green is gone (mostly).

Personally, I used Liquid Plumr, then followed up with a Dremel tool and Brasso metal polish.

dub599 05-24-2008 02:56 PM

use drain-o it works the best and doesnt etch the metal like over cleaner and some others will do. about an 8oz cups full of drain-o will take the green of off all the links and parts. you will need something a little bigger to fit in the beadlock rings.

CHEEZBURGER 05-24-2008 03:02 PM

I'm disappointed, I clicked on this thread hoping to see a chick stripping and anodizing parts at the same time:???:

Crawlin4fun 05-24-2008 03:52 PM

Can we request the stripping chick ?

dirttrackdemon93 05-26-2008 09:22 PM

I have had very good luck with Greased Lightining Degreaser, Works awesome to get rid of the color.

The Modfather 06-10-2008 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirttrackdemon9 (Post 1202583)
I have had very good luck with Greased Lightining Degreaser, Works awesome to get rid of the color.

x2

I left my parts in GA for a few hours - they all came out beautiful - and the best part: NO PITTING! The chemical didn't affect the aluminum in a negative way whatsoever.

gtlegs 06-10-2008 10:22 PM

Easy off oven cleaner has always worked well for me. I use is a lot on AN- fittings if I cannot find a polished version.

Mad4Rnr 06-10-2008 10:40 PM

I use my bead blaster with fine grade media. It gives a nice matte finish plus no chemi's to deal with.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...z/DSC01627.jpg

BigSki 06-17-2008 09:16 PM

I've had good luck using 'Purple stuff' from Home Depot. It's pretty caustic, so wear chemical gloves and safety glasses. It fizzes when it starts to strip the ano off of the parts.

hankd 06-26-2008 11:37 AM

buffing wheel and some compound always works for me and no fumes."thumbsup"

Grizzly4x4 06-26-2008 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3kan1k (Post 1199892)
yea the whitewall cleaner i have at the shop is what we use to clean the shop floors with. it is not bleach white it is an industrial cleaner you can get at auto detail supply shops....sorry should have spoecified, it looks like neon green....well kinda like antifreeze....it worked the best for me even on other manufuacturers anodizing. actually its made by a local retailer i think so this post is pointless for most of you......

A brand name would sure be helpful.

cruiserkb 07-08-2008 06:37 PM

I have been removing the anodized coatings off bicycle parts for some years now with LYE drain cleaner and warm watter. The alluminum gets a verry nice matt finish. Use gloves and rinse parts throughly before handeling.

Trugg 07-09-2008 05:10 AM

Yellow can Easy Off is the best stuff i have found....been using it forever...