Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Mini Lathe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2008, 04:25 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Mini Lathe

I would really love to have access to a lathe so I can mess around, fix, and make stuff. I wouldn't be doing any high precision work like telescope building, I would just be making random parts like RC wheels, potato cannon valves, etc. I took a machining class so I know the basics and I'm no stranger to tools. I have $2500 sitting in my account that I really don't need for anything. I have my tuition paid of to the start of co-op, I live at home, and I have gas and insurance covered. I would like to keep the total purchase under $1500.

If I buy in Canada I would be buying at sticker price. I will get all taxes back because it will be "farm use" If I buy in the US I would have to drive down to Michigan, pay US taxes, pay border taxes, and I would probably be screwed for warranty. I think I will pay the extra and buy in Canada for convience and warranty.

In Canada I have three options:

Princess Auto 7"x12" mini lathe - couldn't find a link on their site
-$700 and never goes on sale
-comes with a 3" 3 jaw chuck, centers, and turret tool post
-has ESC
-Handwheels are inch but lead screws are metric, which means that although the hand wheels say one turn is 0.400" it is actually 0.394" or something like that. Its not a huge deal but its not the greatest.
-its not very beefy
-3/4" spindle bore
-lifetime warranty, but parts will have to come in from China
-needs a few basic mods to use it efficiently, I would actually like doing them

The 7"x12" is adequate for what I intended to do, but I if I want to do large work I wont be able to and I'm afraid that when turning steel there won't be enough power/too much chatter. The size of things like the gib adjusting screws scare me.

Busy Bee 7"x8" metric mini lathe
-$588 on sale right now
-comes with a 3" 3 jaw chuck, centers, and turret tool post
-has ESC
-2 year warranty, BB has a parts warehouse so no waiting for parts and after warranty I can still get parts easily
-its metric
-8" isn't a whole lot when using jobber drill bits
-3/4" spindle bore
-its not very beefy
-needs a few basic mods to use it efficiently, I would actually like doing them

My favourite price, but I think its short length will come back to haunt me when I want to drill holes.

Busy Bee 10"x18"
-$988 on sale right now
-comes with a 5" 3 jaw chuck, centers, and turret tool post
-it doesn't have an ESC but it has a geared head so I still won't have to change belts
-2 year warranty, BB has a parts warehouse so no waiting for parts and after warranty I can still get parts easily
-fairly sure its in inches
-1" spindle bore
-bigger than I have room for on my workbench, not a big deal to make a stand
-there are milling tables sold for it

Very beefy, lots of room to grow, should last forever.

I'm having a hard time deciding between the 7"x12" and the 10"x18". Can anyone offer any insight? Anything else I should be considering? Any advice?
HndsWthtShdws is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Never used any of them personally. A guy over on CNCzone has been messing with one of the 10x18

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29399
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Of the 3, I would spend the extra money for the 10X18. I would also recommend getting the collet/drawbar setup for it. Working out of the 3 chuck for making small parts is a pain in the neck. Also be ready to spend almost half the cost of the machine for a GOOD quick change tool holder system. If that lathe is set up with a collet system and good tooling it will work great. I have a Harbor Freight Mini Lathe and all I use it for these days is polishing screw heads. It's OK for plastic or aluminum but it's just not rigid enough for tougher materials. I use a full size, precision turret lathe for making all my small parts in steel and titanium. Trying to make them with the Mini Lathe was FUTILE
FL Knifemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:08 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

the 7x8 is too small , the 7x12 is ok, but expect to do alot of work to get them to be accurate and consistent, I have a 7x12 grizzly,fairly tweaked out ,lapped bed and ways, digital scales and read out, lots of little tweaks here and there, if you got the space get the 10x18 ,you should do a search and join some yahoo groups that deal with what your looking for, another great site with lots of good info is Frank Hoose's
http://www.mini-lathe.com/
He has alot of links and useful info on the lathes all from mostly seig -maker of most of the small asian lathes.
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I think I've read most of Frank Hoose's site, as well as Varmint Al's and a few others.

I just realized the next most expensive lathe BB carries isn't bad either.

Its a 9"x19" and its $240 more than the 10"x18", but it comes with a 4" 3 jaw chuck, 7.5" 4 jaw chuck, steady and follower rest, a stand, a tool box, tools, 7.5" faceplate, and centers. It seems worth it for the 4 jaw chuck alone.
Link: http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/pictu...6&NTITEM=CT039

I'm hoping I can take it slow as far as tooling is concerned. Start out with a bunch of tool blanks, a drill chuck and arbor, a live center, and upgrade as I go along.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HndsWthtShdws View Post
I think I've read most of Frank Hoose's site, as well as Varmint Al's and a few others.

I just realized the next most expensive lathe BB carries isn't bad either.

Its a 9"x19" and its $240 more than the 10"x18", but it comes with a 4" 3 jaw chuck, 7.5" 4 jaw chuck, steady and follower rest, a stand, a tool box, tools, 7.5" faceplate, and centers. It seems worth it for the 4 jaw chuck alone.
Link: http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/pictu...6&NTITEM=CT039

I'm hoping I can take it slow as far as tooling is concerned. Start out with a bunch of tool blanks, a drill chuck and arbor, a live center, and upgrade as I go along.
Not sure what your looking for in spindle bpre, if 3/4 will do then go for it, but the 10x18 has a 1inch spindle bore.
I have a special backing plate for my 4" chuck - the 7x's use backing plates for larger chucks - it allows me to adjust runout,kinda like a 4 jaw just way quicker then using a 4 jaw, since most of my work I do is round it works perfect for me.
If your doing long work then you'll need the steady rest, you may also want to check out lathemaster.com , he sells alot of accessories for the 8x ,9x and 10x lathes
Old 06-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I would definately go for the largest unit if you have the cash, I have the 7x12 from HB and it works fine....even on steel (it just isnt much fun) you have to pick your battles with it and it can be a pain. the biggest complaint i have is with the size limitations, i can deal with all the other problems, its the size that gets me. go as big as you can with whatever cash you have, and you wont regret it. admittedly, i have no experience with the BB models, but if they get good reviews and there's info out there for it, i would go that route and consider the extras just a bonus.
freddyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:08 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

This is my Feeler turret lathe. It's a Hardinge HC clone and will accept any harding parts. I'm in the process of procuring a Hardinge overhead threading attachment. It's SUPER accurate, notice the diamter of the crossfeed dial! It will hold tenths all day. With the 8 position turret, I can make parts FAST. It's like a human controlled CNC :-P All the parts I make for my knives are short so no need for a tailstock. If I need to turn between centers which is VERY rare, I go visit my friends shop or use my Mini Lathe. These lathes have no leadscrew or geared power feed. The power feed is run by a DC motor, the control is on the far right. The two levers on the carriage activate it in each axis. It's infinately ajustable and totally quiet. What I really like about these lathes is they stand TALL. I'm 6'2" and I don't have to bend over to run it. This Lathe was about 12 years old when I got it but it had never been used, never wired up, never made a part. It cost me a small fortune but I use it almost every day.

It now has a PVC and plexiglass backsplash, a lot more tool holders in the turret and a new light.
Attached Images

Last edited by FL Knifemaker; 06-23-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:39 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

That's certainly droolworthy... I just bought an old atlas 6" to supplement my Sherline...and I'm all happy:-P though I long for enough room in the garage for a bigger setup...(though for my jewelery the 3.5" and 6" are just right)
chaotic_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:27 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic_life View Post
That's certainly droolworthy... I just bought an old atlas 6" to supplement my Sherline...and I'm all happy:-P though I long for enough room in the garage for a bigger setup...(though for my jewelery the 3.5" and 6" are just right)
My Dad had an Atlas lathe when I was a kid. I learned not to leave the chuck key in the chuck the hard way
Old 06-24-2008, 11:25 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Knifemaker View Post
This is my Feeler turret lathe. It's a Hardinge HC clone and will accept any harding parts. I'm in the process of procuring a Hardinge overhead threading attachment. It's SUPER accurate, notice the diamter of the crossfeed dial! It will hold tenths all day. With the 8 position turret, I can make parts FAST. It's like a human controlled CNC :-P All the parts I make for my knives are short so no need for a tailstock. If I need to turn between centers which is VERY rare, I go visit my friends shop or use my Mini Lathe. These lathes have no leadscrew or geared power feed. The power feed is run by a DC motor, the control is on the far right. The two levers on the carriage activate it in each axis. It's infinately ajustable and totally quiet. What I really like about these lathes is they stand TALL. I'm 6'2" and I don't have to bend over to run it. This Lathe was about 12 years old when I got it but it had never been used, never wired up, never made a part. It cost me a small fortune but I use it almost every day.

It now has a PVC and plexiglass backsplash, a lot more tool holders in the turret and a new light.
WOW ,that brings back memories! I had a Feeler almost identical to that in my work cell at my last job. Very nice lathe,I made many eddy current probe bodies on it for the non destructive testing industry.I would HIGHLY recogmend a Feeler.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:43 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Anthis View Post
WOW ,that brings back memories! I had a Feeler almost identical to that in my work cell at my last job. Very nice lathe,I made many eddy current probe bodies on it for the non destructive testing industry.I would HIGHLY recogmend a Feeler.
The Hardinge VS Feeler quality crossed in the early 90's. There are certain things that are better on the Feeler but I miss the Hardinge 3 range variable speed. My Feeler only has two speed ranges with the variable. It's close but not the same. As far as spindle and carriage quality, I have to give the nod to the Feeler.

You might have had the toolroom lathe version with a conventional carriage and tailstock?? It's an exact clone of the Hardinge toolroom lathe. I considered one like that but for what I make the turret is much faster.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:21 AM   #13
gas
Rock Stacker

try www.wttool.com
gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:51 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Some pics for your viewing pleasure.

Those of you who have a 7x will appreciate the size difference:

Speeds and feeds:

Leadscrew on/off. The smaller lathes I was looking at don't have this:

Cross slide is 0.002" on the diameter. Its dead on, within half a thou:

Compound is 0.002"

5" 3 jaw chuck, the smaller lathes have a 3". I will pick up a 5" 4 jaw for it eventually.

Feed engage/disengage. Its very smooth:

5/8" drill chuck:

Tailstock lock. Notice its a nut instead of a handle. It will be the first thing to go:

I'm going to buy a few more basic tools and some more aluminum stock tomorrow or Thursday.

Don't think you can cheap out and grind your own 1/2" parting tool like I did [;)]
Old 07-05-2008, 04:15 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Very nice, one day I 'll get a bigger lathe.
My grizzly has a a lever for foward/reverse on the lead screw as do all 7x, it's in the back of the headstock.
Next lathe I get will have a power feed on the compound stock
Old 07-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Forward/reverse feed might be missed. Its not a big deal to make a tumbler reverse if I want it.

I keep wanting compound and cross feed too. Ive been looking at ways to mount small motors somewhere. Might make a nice winter project.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:13 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HndsWthtShdws View Post
Forward/reverse feed might be missed. Its not a big deal to make a tumbler reverse if I want it.

I keep wanting compound and cross feed too. Ive been looking at ways to mount small motors somewhere. Might make a nice winter project.
Yup, I got some window motors that I still need to retrofit to mine, still have not finished the dro's but god I love what I have setup so far.
I got to say I bought some plastools.com holders, and they are freaking awesome, so cheap to replace bits and do what they are suposed to.