Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: delrin skid plate repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default delrin skid plate repair

i have a skid plate with holes from 3 different trannys in it, after switching to bergs i decided to try repair the holes . i used some delrin stock which i use for links, i took a peice about 16 inches long and lit on end on fire ,the delrin will stay lit like a candle, hold the lit side down on about a 45 degree angle hover the flame about 1-2 inches over the hole you want to fill the melted delrin will start dripping into the hole ,i pushed the melted delrin around on the skid plate, with the lit rod ,to fill deep holes ,after holes are filled just sand smooth,CAUTION MELTED DELRIN STAYS HOT FOR A LONG TIME ,BE VERY CAREFUL IF IT DRIPS ON YOU IT WILL BURN THROUGH YOUR SKIN, ill will try to post step by step pics later , but the procedure is pretty simple
tat2INDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2008, 07:33 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Delrin is cheap and easy to work with, I'd just make another one!! I've had molten plastic drip on me and that SUCKS!!
FL Knifemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:03 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

reminds me of that time i dropped hot glue on my leg than proceeded to wipe the still hot glue off with my hand

point being i burned myself more than i had to it sucked dont do it lol.
Krawler Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:25 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I think it's an excellent idea...I have a bunch of delrin skids that have multiple tranny mount holes that i would like to "fill" in.
Thanks for the idea tat2INDY, definently going to give it a try

..Guys...It's no more dangerous than welding, brazing, or soldering
Trugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:09 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Great tip. Have used similar methods on other plastics, but wondered if it wouold work on Acetals.
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Any idea what will bond Acetals/Delrin to metal? I've heard there is an adhesive called B-45 that will bond acetals and even PTFE/Teflon, but cant find it anywhere.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:53 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Youll spend more money and time on trying this and that. Just make a new one.
Renslipevol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:36 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

OK, so the weld method works pretty darn well, thanks for sharing.

One addition though. It helps make a stronger bond if both pieces being stuck together are at the melting point when the bond it made.

The process also can seems to make the material a bit more brittle IF it gets too hot, like when it BOILS, so be careful of this as well.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:38 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler Freak View Post
reminds me of that time i dropped hot glue on my leg than proceeded to wipe the still hot glue off with my hand

point being i burned myself more than i had to it sucked dont do it lol.
I can do you one better, I dropped a some hot solder on the work bench and tried to brush it off, it came off alright, but it stuck to my hand.

I'd honestly just make a new skid plate, all you would have to do is trace your current skid plate onto a piece of delrin and cut it out.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:06 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I have extensive experience manipulating and attempting to bond/weld Acetal and the there is really no way to Bond Acetal to itself reliably. Even Heat bonding or welding it you will not get a reliable bon since the molecules wont mix properly unless you have a way to mix the acetal together and so far I dont see a way to do that while trying to bond 2 pieces. And to heat Acetal and cool it will create a brittle or somewhat brittle "joint". And as far as my research has resulted there is no chemical bonding agent available in fact I seem to remember an MSDS sheet stating that there is no way to chemically bond Acetal

And just in case anyone is interested Delrin is the registered Tradename Dupont gave to their brand of Polycetal Resin.
The Real Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:04 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

why not just drill the holes you want filled out to the same diameter as the rod you have. Then just apply CA in the hole and press the rod in. Then just sand it smooth and your done!
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote