Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Band saw blades?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2008, 06:34 AM   #1
Powered by Awesome

Default Band saw blades?

So, was in Lowes last night and picked up a 10" Hitatchi with tilt and such for cutting out chassis and bracets and such.... just to make life easier. Now, this stupid thing requires a 63-1/2" x 1/4 - 3/8 blade... it came with a 6 Tooth Per Inch blade which i assume is for wood. Now, after hours of searching (no kidding - about 3 hours) for a metal cutting blade, i found one at the Tool Barn for 15 bucks a pop. cant find one anywhere else.

so my question is this: Can the 6tpi blade cut steel plate that is about 1/16 thick?

Anyone know where else to get a 63-1/2" metal cutting blade, at least 10 tpi?

What are you guys using?
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

The problem with wood band saws is they don't run slow enough to cut steel. Therefore, you're blade choices are pretty much limited to wood blades.

The cheapest way to get set up with a good metal cutting band saw is to buy one of the import " horizontal cutoff saws". The saw can be used in the upright position just like a regular bandsaw.

This one will work great:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93762
FL Knifemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:28 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Try MSC.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVS...16132#NOANCHOR
Eritex Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
Powered by Awesome

i just found Olson Band Saw blades.. they can custom make to size and whatnot.. i found a guy on ebay who is an authorized dealer.. picked up 3 18TPI blades 63-1/2 x 3.8 for $9 each and like $4 in shipping.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:13 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Exclamation

I had this same problem, wood cutting bandsaw and wood blades only. I was able to find a blade (can't remember how many tpi it was at the moment) but I think it was a half inch blade so its fairly stout.

I was wondering if adding some kind of inline resistance to the motor to slow it down would be a feasible idea? Maybe an adjustable switch for varying speeds. I don't know.
wonder squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:15 PM   #6
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedXT View Post
i just found Olson Band Saw blades.. they can custom make to size and whatnot.. i found a guy on ebay who is an authorized dealer.. picked up 3 18TPI blades 63-1/2 x 3.8 for $9 each and like $4 in shipping.
Could you help me get in touch with him?
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder squirrel View Post
I had this same problem, wood cutting bandsaw and wood blades only. I was able to find a blade (can't remember how many tpi it was at the moment) but I think it was a half inch blade so its fairly stout.

I was wondering if adding some kind of inline resistance to the motor to slow it down would be a feasible idea? Maybe an adjustable switch for varying speeds. I don't know.

With a small AC motor it would have to be done with belts or gearing. It would be easier and probably cheaper to buy the metal cutting saw.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:48 PM   #8
Powered by Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nluvwithxlr8ing View Post
Could you help me get in touch with him?
http://stores.ebay.com/Zimbyo
Old 08-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
Powered by Awesome

this is what i bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/Band-Saw-Blade-6...742.m153.l1262

you can specify which ones you would like!

for example.. (pulled from his add)
This blade is available in the following grades:

1/8 inch width with 14 teeth per inch, 0.018 inch thick, for tight scroll cutting (minimum radius 1/4 inch) in wood, plywood and composites. Fine finish.

1/4 inch width with 8 teeth per inch, 0.014 inch thick, for general purpose contour cutting (minimum radius 3/4 inch) in wood 3/8 inch thick plus. Fast, smooth cuts.

1/4 inch width with 14 teeth per inch, 0.014 inch thick, for general purpose cutting (minimum radius 3/4 inch) in thinner stock 1/4 inch or more. Fine finish.

3/8 inch width with 6 teeth per inch, 0.014 inch thick, for general purpose cutting in wood 1/2 to 3 inch thick. Fast cuts, medium finish (minimum radius 1 1/2 inch).

This blade is also available in the following metal and plastic cutting grade for $11.00. This is a Thin Kerf Hard Edge Flex Back (TK) blade made from high carbon steel with harder teeth.

3/8 inch width with 18 teeth per inch, 0.014 inch thick, for non-ferrous metals and plastic.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:05 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder squirrel View Post
I grabbed a 15A fan speed control from work and wired it in series [every way possible], and saw no speed change with my cheapie band saw.

I plan to take it apart at some point soon and find a replacement sheave and belt to slow it down some.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:57 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Get a good bimetal varitooth blade for cutting metal, I use 10/14 on my Jet 5x6 bandsaw- very similar to the one sold by harborfreight,just much better quality.
I bought my blades from this guy -
http://stores.ebay.com/Mania-of-Meta...Q3amesstQQtZkm - you'll have to ask him for bimetal he no longer list them
Bimetal, super cheap, cost just as much as my non bimetal olsons.
One thing you can try but will not be good for the motor on long runs is rig up a "fan" dimmer switch with a plug and outlet and adjust the switch to slow your speed down,make sure you use a "fan" dimmer switch, regular light dimmers can not handle the power, I did this to my benchgrinder,works fine, just would not do it for a long time without cool down periods, 5 years on the bench grinder and never had a problem yet- knock on wood -

Last edited by Joat; 08-16-2008 at 02:41 AM.
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:51 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
I grabbed a 15A fan speed control from work and wired it in series [every way possible], and saw no speed change with my cheapie band saw.

I plan to take it apart at some point soon and find a replacement sheave and belt to slow it down some.

I recently saw a lot of different size, and width pulleys and stuff that may be useable at ACE hardware.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:14 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

If you guys are going to run the high speed saws, you might want to look into carbide grit blades. I know 3M makes them. Maybe one of the blade suppliers previously mentioned can make them up. I've had one for years that I use to cut carbon fiber and other abraisive materials. They should cut thin steel as well. They will clog up with aluminum though :( The blade I have was expensive but it's paid for itself many times over
Old 08-16-2008, 01:05 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Knifemaker View Post
If you guys are going to run the high speed saws, you might want to look into carbide grit blades. I know 3M makes them. Maybe one of the blade suppliers previously mentioned can make them up. I've had one for years that I use to cut carbon fiber and other abraisive materials. They should cut thin steel as well. They will clog up with aluminum though :( The blade I have was expensive but it's paid for itself many times over
http://cgi.ebay.com/REMGRIT-1-2-Carb...2em118Q2el1247
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:42 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post

what about the switch you can use with a router to change it's rpm's that the router just plugs into..................bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote