Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: bench top press brake?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default bench top press brake?

just wondering if anyone has found a small bench top press brake or a decent home made one that you could share a few pics of?

I've been looking for something, but I can't find something that will work for me.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
No idea what I'm doing

Something like this?

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post

Thanks, but that's not the kind I'm looking for. Harbor freight sells those, too. I'm looking for something like this, but in a bench top version, maybe 5 tons of pressure at the most.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I remember seeing somewhere a brake, shear and roller as a benchtop unit. Now if I could remember.
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i might have to head harbor freight this week and pick up a brake
RobCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:30 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Only small ones I've ever seen

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90757

http://www.micromark.com/MINIATURE-S...RAKE,8395.html
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #7
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
I remember seeing somewhere a brake, shear and roller as a benchtop unit. Now if I could remember.
You mean like this?

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3
Old 02-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

If you are looking for just a brake, you might want to consider a box/pan brake. They have removable fingers that will allow you to bend boxes. As you bend sides you need clearance for the adjoining sides, that's where the fingers come in handy. Yes they cost more but are worth it in the end.
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

hmm, these are closer to what I had in mind, I just think that .125 aluminum might be too thick for these to handle for bending on the brake.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:38 AM   #10
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
If you are looking for just a brake, you might want to consider a box/pan brake. They have removable fingers that will allow you to bend boxes. As you bend sides you need clearance for the adjoining sides, that's where the fingers come in handy. Yes they cost more but are worth it in the end.
We actually had the Enco bender in our shop for quite some time. We eventually went with a 4' shear and larger brake, but Flip is right.....having removable fingers is a big plus. The Enco does have removable fingers (hard to tell in the picture) and you can bend boxes. Our new brake can't, and sometimes I wish we still had the Enco sitting around. Luckily when we got rid of it, I was able to take it and give it to a friend of mine so I still have access to it
Old 02-12-2009, 07:54 AM   #11
No idea what I'm doing

I saw this awhile back, and plan to make something similar for our 12 ton floor press at work. It's not what you are looking for, but I think it's closer than my other failed attempts.

http://www.shopoutfitters.com/Univer...handybend.html
Old 02-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I saw this awhile back, and plan to make something similar for our 12 ton floor press at work. It's not what you are looking for, but I think it's closer than my other failed attempts.

http://www.shopoutfitters.com/Univer...handybend.html
Thanks CHUD, when I saw those, it gave me the idea of a miniture bench type brake. I don't have room for a full size press. Maybe I've stumbled onto a void that needs to be filled within the tool industry. I'm sure there has to be lots of companies that could use a miniture press to bend up 1/8" aluminum into brackets and things like that.

I kind of like that ENCO, but it says it's only for 20 gauge material, which is about 1mm thick. 1/8" is about 3mm thick, so I'm not sure it could handle the material that I need to work with.

Last edited by BigSki; 02-12-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:09 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

You can make a press brake that will bend about anything, very easily and cheap.
All you need is a small hydraulic "bottle jack type" shop/bearing press. Then all you need to do is make or buy a small bottom v-block and top v-punch. I've made all sorts of homemade dies/punches over the years for our shop press, I usually just make them out of angle iron. You also may be able to buy some used short sections of v-block dies and top v-punches at your local fab shop or at an equipment auction for a few bucks.
We use our homemade press brake for 1:1 size fabrication and with the dies I have for our press i can bend anything from 28gauge sheet metal to 1" thick steel plate Ours is a 50 ton press but the same thing can be done with a MUCH SMALLER press for RC scale stuff
Sorry no pics right now, but here is a link to the type/style of press i am talking about: http://www.nationalwholesaletools.co...shoppress.aspx
Trugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:59 AM   #14
No idea what I'm doing

I'm curious about how thick that 3 in 1 tool can bend as well. I'm going to stop by Toybuilder's place this weekend with some 1/8th aluminum to try it out. I'll take some pictures.

Another one I stumbled on this morning is this one.....it says it can do 1/8th inch thick steel or aluminum at 6" wide:

http://www.lowbucktools.com/platebrake.html
Old 02-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

The HF and Micro-mark units come with dies, are these for bending a radius?

Last edited by Thorsteenster; 02-13-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I saw another promising mini press brake in the northern supply catalog today, only to read the fine print and find out it can only bend 40 gauge, which is about 1mm thick.

Maybe I need to find a supplier/manufacturer of the small size dies and rig up something that would replace the jaws in my vice and turn that into a mini press brake.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:49 PM   #17
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Thanks CHUD, when I saw those, it gave me the idea of a miniture bench type brake. I don't have room for a full size press. Maybe I've stumbled onto a void that needs to be filled within the tool industry. I'm sure there has to be lots of companies that could use a miniture press to bend up 1/8" aluminum into brackets and things like that.

I kind of like that ENCO, but it says it's only for 20 gauge material, which is about 1mm thick. 1/8" is about 3mm thick, so I'm not sure it could handle the material that I need to work with.
You're right.....stopped by Toybuilder's place tonight and the Enco 3 in 1 could not budge 1/8th inch aluminum.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:17 AM   #18
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
I saw another promising mini press brake in the northern supply catalog today, only to read the fine print and find out it can only bend 40 gauge, which is about 1mm thick.

Maybe I need to find a supplier/manufacturer of the small size dies and rig up something that would replace the jaws in my vice and turn that into a mini press brake.
I have seen this setup bend 0.060" steel with no problem. It's only 4" wide though.

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H3243-.../dp/B0000DD4UU
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #19
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
I have seen this setup bend 0.060" steel with no problem. It's only 4" wide though.

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H3243-.../dp/B0000DD4UU
Good call Chris......I forgot we had those here at work, so I just tried it out. It does bend .125" 6061, but your right......only 4" of it. It does have 3 fingers though. 2 X 1" and 1 X 2". Come to think of it, this thing and I have a lot in common.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:24 PM   #20
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Good call Chris......I forgot we had those here at work, so I just tried it out. It does bend .125" 6061, but your right......only 4" of it. It does have 3 fingers though. 2 X 1" and 1 X 2". Come to think of it, this thing and I have a lot in common.
Wow, nice looking bend for a vice tool and 1/8" material.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote