Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: 2 quick question on building a chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2005, 01:20 PM   #1

Default 2 quick question on building a chassis

iam gonna build my own custom crawler and i was wondering since i dont have my motors, servos, reciever, etc. yet should i just start on like the basic frame then once i get all my electronics make all the mounts and stuff or just wait till i get all my electronics in? and i think i might make most of this stuff in my ag class as a project and we have a mig, should i get aluminum brake lines or steel? for the steel i can weld but for aluminum you cant weld steel to aluminum so would it be alright to braze it with an a/o torch?
Matt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2005, 03:18 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt123
iam gonna build my own custom crawler and i was wondering since i dont have my motors, servos, reciever, etc. yet should i just start on like the basic frame then once i get all my electronics make all the mounts and stuff or just wait till i get all my electronics in? and i think i might make most of this stuff in my ag class as a project and we have a mig, should i get aluminum brake lines or steel? for the steel i can weld but for aluminum you cant weld steel to aluminum so would it be alright to braze it with an a/o torch?
You could build the basic frame work, and then add supports, but you'll probably have to change a few things as you go. I would probably first figure out the WB you want, the ride height you want, the lengths of the lower link arms (front and rear), put it on paper and figure out all the measurements and geometry. Then I would start the chassis, putting all the link mounting points in the correct locations. Leave plenty of room for electronics though. If you're not sure what electronics you're going to use, don't start the chassis. If you do, at least e-mail the companies or go by your LHS and get the measurements to you can build the chassis with the room needed. If all you have is a mig welder, then I would use 1/8" solid steel rod. You could try 3/16" steel brake line, but the mig might burn holes in it. And good luck with the a/o torch on alum., you can't really tell when it's hot enough and when it's too hot and just falls away.
Trailerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 05:33 PM   #3

alright thanks

P.S.- how much steel should i get? i was thinkin about 6ft to get me started

Last edited by Matt123; 10-06-2005 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:24 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt123
alright thanks

P.S.- how much steel should i get? i was thinkin about 6ft to get me started
That little size shouldn't cost hardly anything at a steel supply, I'd go with 10ft. and use the extra for the next project, because you will be doing a next project, trust me.
Trailerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 04:59 AM   #5

alright, i think at my local harware store its like 2 bucks for a 3ft rod. problly stop by it today after school