Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Tim Taylor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Tim Taylor

So, my old hex driver crapped out on me a while back, and I assumed it was the crappy little 4/5a NICD cells that came with it, but didn't want to mess with it at the time. Well, I replaced the driver a while back, and I have always missed the old one. The new one is very difficult to modulate the throttle, like an on/off switch. On the old one, I could feather it and have more control over not stripping screw heads and holes. So, I decided to go all home improvement on my old one and resurect it....with more power!

SO, it ran three cells before, and I had a nice Rat Shak GP3300 pack that I never use. So I built a 3 cell pack out of it. Obviously it took a bit of clearancing of the handle to get those big sub-c's to fit:

So, I hard wired the pack to the drill, and left a charge lead with deans coming off of it so that I can charge it on my hyperion.

Well, now its time to finish her out a little nicer, so a little Kreepy red memory foam was applied to the top and sides of the handle.

Well, the pack was dead and its got way more torque than I remember the driver having, so now its time to top her off. The 3300 mah should give me some nice run time.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Well, the driver peaked at 4.7 volts and is rated at 3.6. So, I am pretty happy with it. It is faster than my newer one with a fresh charge. Here is a little vid, both of them have a fresh charge, the first one it the newer one, the second one is the modded one.

And here is a pic of them side by side:

It would be cool to try to rig the newer one up with four cells though. For other little around the house type stuff. Or I will just give it to my girlfriend.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Nice work man!

JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
Been there, done that

When I read the first couple sentences, I thought it was gonna be a nitro engine powered driver, like the one he built on the show. But that is a good job of adding more power.
t_kirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_kirl View Post
When I read the first couple sentences, I thought it was gonna be a nitro engine powered driver, like the one he built on the show. But that is a good job of adding more power.
Haha that's the same think that popped into my head when I read the title. Hey that is prety cool man nice work.
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote