RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tools, and Procedures (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/)
-   -   buying bolts in bulk (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/176895-buying-bolts-bulk.html)

RobCam 05-06-2009 01:08 AM

buying bolts in bulk

hey guys tired of spending $5 on a pack of 10 screws at the lhs or not being able to find enough of them, even if they are in stock? i don't know how many times this has happend to me, ive even checked mcmaster carr onlyto be turned away in disgust(way to expensive) i was heading home from work the other day and for the first time i noticed a fastenal store. i went in and picked up 200 m3 screws for under $17.00 i also placed a order for 100 flathead m3 screws and 100 m3 locknuts for. this also was only $15. long story short buy or order your screws from fastenal they have the best prices ive seen by far. thats my $.02

2JSC 05-06-2009 01:30 AM

I'm going to be buying some organizing totes to store hardware in, and will be ordering from them. "thumbsup"

bob1961 05-06-2009 05:30 AM

i bought bulk 50 packs from these guys for bout 5.00 bucks each "thumbsup" ..............bob

http://rtlfasteners.com/RC/index.html

xirtic 05-06-2009 05:53 AM

I buy all of my misc fasteners, delrin, aluminum, threaded rod, ect from www.mcmastercarr.com . I just ordered the following yesterday at 8am, and since I am so close to their warehouse, I had it at my office by 2pm.

100pk 3mm x 20mm socket head cap screws (black oxide) $6.24
50pk 3mm x 30mm socket head cap screws (SS 18-8 ) $3.63
100pk 3mm Zinc Plated Nylon Insert Lock Nuts $2.82
100pk 3mm Flat Washer 7mm O.D. (SS 18-8 ) $0.73

Total after TAX and Shipping: $19.25

Imagine paying for all of this at the LHS!!! For the 30mm screws I was paying $2 for 5 screws!!! For the 20mm I was paying $2 for 6 screws!!! I agree that I should support the LHS, but at this kind of savings, I am shopping smarter.

Just this past weekend I re-did a pal's suspension setup...we ended up going thru at least a dozen 20mm screws as well as nuts and washers. I also built him new links from delrin and 4mm threaded rod. I think that it might have cost me $5 to help him out with everything....at LHS pricing that would have been closer to $20. I support my LHS with many purchases...but screws are not one of them.

Robbob 05-06-2009 06:40 AM

McMastercar.com "thumbsup"

great bulk pricing - real quick shipping

Offroader5 05-06-2009 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobCam (Post 1778933)
...ive even checked mcmaster carr onlyto be turned away in disgust(way to expensive)

Huh? You can get 3mm hardware all day long at McMaster for the same price or better than as you listed. What were you looking for in 3mm that ended up too expensive?

I like Fastenal too...and even have one within a mile of my work...but I can never go in there and get everything I need at one time. I go in there when I am looking for one or two things I may need in a hurry for something. I don't like making multiple trips to get something as trivial as hardware. I order so much stuff from McMaster...I should be enrolled in their profit sharing program. I can get the stuff I need all at the same time on one order, both in smaller RC hardware, and 1:1 hardware. I probably have close to 5000 pieces of hardware at home from McMaster :)

dkf 05-06-2009 10:29 AM

McMaster isn't any more expensive than Fastenal. I order from McMaster on a regualr basis and they pretty much always have everything I need. Best thing is I get my order the next day.

Lonewolf 05-06-2009 01:15 PM

What are the most desired sizes? I plan on vendering these as building supplies so I will need a few of the common sizes.. And how would the best way to offer them... lots of 25,50 and 100???

MTHead 05-06-2009 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2JSC (Post 1778959)
I'm going to be buying some organizing totes to store hardware in, and will be ordering from them. "thumbsup"

You should check these out..

http://www.browntool.com/Default.asp...ProductID=1949

Spring closed lids, carry handle, and they stack on top of each other nicely. I have 6 of them set up with labeled bins, fast, easy and very clean.. You can even buy dividers for your less stockable parts to save room..

Oh, and Mcmaster, definitely.. "thumbsup"

xirtic 05-06-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolf (Post 1779587)
What are the most desired sizes? I plan on vendering these as building supplies so I will need a few of the common sizes.. And how would the best way to offer them... lots of 25,50 and 100???

I like to buy M3 20mm by the 100ct pack. This is because I will cut them to the needed lenght to fit the exact location used. I buy M3 30mm in 50ct because I use them much less frequently, but there are instances that this length is required.

ohmyCLOD! 05-06-2009 01:29 PM

Anyone try Grainger yet???

JeremyH 05-06-2009 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobCam (Post 1778933)
ive even checked mcmaster carr onlyto be turned away in disgust(way to expensive)

~$6 for a pack of 100 is too expensive?!?!?

Fastenal is good, but the stores near me rarely have the bolts/screws I need in stock. I always get the answer "well, we can order that"....well, no shit, so can I.

PEDEcrawlerguy 05-06-2009 03:00 PM

There is a big Fastenal store in my town... They have m3 from like 5mm long, up to 25mm long. I love that place. We also have a family business, so we get a little better price on stuff. the last stuff i bought there was m3x15mm long... around $5 for 100, and m3 locknuts were less than $3 for 100...

Lonewolf 05-06-2009 03:11 PM

If I put in an order big enough I can get them in stainless and 3mm x 5mm - what would be the biggest desired....I can order them in what ever length 5mm up to??? Just need a decent range of sizes
10mm 15mm 20mm 25mm and some real long.... 50 -75mm?
Lemme know Im pretty sure I can offer .04 per screw/nyloc nut or reg nuts all s/s. plus shipping...

fisherkip 05-06-2009 08:28 PM

That's great I have a fastenal store just opened near me, I'll have to check them out. I've been buying mine from www.MSC.com. The price is pretty good and shipping is not bad. But having a store close will be great.
Thanks for the tip.

fixed13 05-06-2009 09:04 PM

I like Fastenal, I get most of my hardware from them, if they don't have it in stock it will be there in a day or two max. The nice thing about ordering through them is that I don't pay the shipping costs and I have to pass it on my way home from work.

rcjunky3 05-06-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fisherkip (Post 1780280)
That's great I have a fastenal store just opened near me, I'll have to check them out. I've been buying mine from www.MSC.com. The price is pretty good and shipping is not bad. But having a store close will be great.
Thanks for the tip.

i dont see hardware listed anywhere on this site only x-ray equipment and instrumentation ?

jnev 05-07-2009 12:00 AM

I have had great luck with McMastercar.com as did others above me. They ship very fast, and always seem to have everything I need in stock. I'll definitely check out fastenal though... I am curious to how they compare.

AlmstEvil665 05-07-2009 01:36 AM

I've got an account with Imperial through work. Never check their prices but I get zip ties and wiring supplies like connectors and what not dirt cheap. Plus I can get a box of 1/4 once wheel weights for like $24 and a box of 1/2 once for like $67. I haven't stepped into a Fastenal store in a long time. Maybe I'll check out my local one. I'll have to check out this McMaster place too. Thanks for the idea could of used it a month ago. I bought 20 packs of different length screws from TSC and it wasn't cheap."thumbsup"

OSF 05-07-2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohmyCLOD! (Post 1779614)
Anyone try Grainger yet???

Grainger??? please tell me your kidding,
Mickey Carr is the way to go, although I would not recommend just buying 6 ft of tool steel bar stock and nothing else.
I did that and it came in a tube that I could barely snap to get it into the dumpster. They are a little more expensive but not much.
If you, positively... gotta have it...the next day, go with them.

If you are in the market for a Tubeaxial Fan with an explosion proof motor... go with Grainger... although I wouldnt put it past Mickey Carr to have that either. my .02