Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: How to make a bind plug!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 03:09 AM   #1
Who's your Daddy-0!

Default How to make a bind plug!

I had a member PM me the other day asking for help with some electronic problems he was having with his crawler. One of which was he had lost his "Bind Plug" for his SR3100 RX. I have had this same issue before myself trying to find that little plug in the tool box. Well here is a simple fix that will replace that lost bind plug or make you a extra one "Just in case"

Grab a old burnt up servo laying around your work bench. (You can use a fried ESC or BEC or "Y" harness, ect...you get the idea)

Your going to cut the plug off no less than about 1 1/2" from the end. You will need room to loop the wires over to soldier them.

Next pull the middle wire (The + in most cases). Then strip the 2 outer wires at the ends.

Grab a piece of shrink wrap and slide it over one of the wires. (Don't forget to do this before you soldier!)

Now soldier the 2 wires together and then shrink wrap them.

Done! All you have left is putting a piece of tape on it for a pull tab! All of this should take you less than 5 minutes from start to finish!

So next time you find yourself unable to find that bind plug when you need it, make one! Hope this will help you guys out, Kenny.
Attached Images

TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2009, 06:32 AM   #2
RCC Addict

This deserves a sticky.
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the right up Kenny!!! I knew there was a simple way to do it but seeing I have never seen a bindplug I wasnt sure how to go about it and 3100 rx are a bit too spendy to "test" ..

Thanks Again I agree this should get stickied!! Now I can see if this will fix my elec issue lol....
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Perfect....since I lost mine as well
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

very nice write up ken....but i knew this already in case i lost my bind plug, now i think i'll make an extra ................bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
Who's your Daddy-0!

Thanks guys, glad to help;)
Old 05-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Sorry to jack the thread a bit, but I've found that the best way to keep from losing the bind plug is to simply stuff it into the transmitter battery compartment.

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:28 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

For my scale Bronco build I had the 3100 RX mounted in a sealed radio shack project box. So to combat the issue of losing bind with the DX3r I did the above Like TattooKenny but instead of soldering the two wires together I soldered them to one of the switches in the console of the interior. Now if I lose bind, I just unplug the battery flip the switch and replug the battery and the RX is in bind mode. After performing the bind function from the TX I just flip the switch back. Now I don't have to bother with opening the project box

KvilleKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:56 PM   #9
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KvilleKrawler View Post
For my scale Bronco build I had the 3100 RX mounted in a sealed radio shack project box. So to combat the issue of losing bind with the DX3r I did the above Like TattooKenny but instead of soldering the two wires together I soldered them to one of the switches in the console of the interior. Now if I lose bind, I just unplug the battery flip the switch and replug the battery and the RX is in bind mode. After performing the bind function from the TX I just flip the switch back. Now I don't have to bother with opening the project box

So your Bind cord stays plugged in the RX all them time? This will only work if you have a open channel on your RX. If you were running a extra channel for lights, winch, ect....you wouldn't have the open slot to do your mod. But I like the idea. What TX are you using? Just wondering why you would lose bind so much that you needed to do that?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
So your Bind cord stays plugged in the RX all them time? This will only work if you have a open channel on your RX. If you were running a extra channel for lights, winch, ect....you wouldn't have the open slot to do your mod. But I like the idea. What TX are you using? Just wondering why you would lose bind so much that you needed to do that?

I still have the aux channel I use for the winch on my Bronco... the SR3100 has 4 ports. Aux, Thr, Str, and BAT\BIND. The bind switch stays plugged into the bind\batt channel. I have one of the first released DX3R's that have a bind issue with it. I just haven't had the time to give it up to send it back to Spektrum for them to fix it yet. I will probably send it in this coming winter. The issue usually only occurs when I am around several other Spektrum radio's and I switch between models on it (like between my scaler and comp rig) So at comps and GTG is when I notice the issue. I actually got this idea of the switch from Uroplatus who also has an early release DX3R.

DX3R Product Bulletin- Losing Bind
Attached Images

Last edited by KvilleKrawler; 05-28-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
Who's your Daddy-0!

Sorry, what I ment was take a SR3100, on one of my scalers with a 3100 I have ESC, Steering, Winch, and BEC. Now you could wire the BEC straight to the servo but I wire them like Castle says to. With this setup you have no extra open slots.... Or like Lonewolf has his with a Telemetry system, no extra slots...... None the less I think you have a cool idea for those that can do it if needed
Old 05-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Ahh I got ya...

I have the same equipment as well (ESC, Servo, Winch, and CC BEC), but ya, I did wire the BEC straight to the steering servo. I think even after I send the radio to be corrected I will leave the switch installed, just so I won't have to undo my waterproofing to get at the RX.

At first I had it with the BEC going to the RX but then you have to remove the power line from the ESC to the RX. With that when I had a loss of bind issue I had to pull the BEC plug out to put the bind plug in, but then the RX was not powered so I had to re attach the ESC power line back to the THR servo plug. That's when I decided to wire the BEC direct to the servo and power the RX by the ESC.

The only reason I did it this way was because of the location of the RX and that it was sealed. If not for that I wouldn't have done it.

I still just use a bind plug on my comp rig.