RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tools, and Procedures (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/)
-   -   proper tools (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/1820-proper-tools.html)

badger 09-13-2004 10:28 AM

proper tools

I want to start building my own shit, like "wheels" front bumper and "rckjeeps" rear roll cage. I would also like to be able to fab some better aluminum stuff like servo mounts or shock mounts.

So what I am asking in this thread is:

What kind of tools would you recommend me buying? I would like to weld small parts like the bumpers and cages, also what would you recommend to fab aluminum parts, a mill?

And is it even realistic? I know some of you guys build and fab shit for a living, so your tools are most likely at work. I am a computer geek with little knowledge in this area, but I can learn anything.

Thanks.

Krod_Clod 09-13-2004 03:43 PM

Re: proper tools

buy a small scale pipe bender...a DREMEL (must have)...a small torch kit...possibly a welder (if you think you'll use it)...a good set of gloves...

uhhhh what else... :roll:
a good measuring tape/rule is a must to make things square....an inexpensive set of calipers for measuring etc...a decent selection of drill bits and files...(a cordless drill if you dont have one)....an a few taps (common sizes for small scale screws).

Other than that...the usual stuff most people have in the garage...pliers, hammers, etc...

btw the most valuable tools you will get out of that selection is a GOOD DREMEL, a nice hammer, and a nice set of bits for the drill...those things will make your life SO much easier in the long run.

first thing to buy = dremel with the attachment kit

good luck man! :D

RocJoc 09-13-2004 04:18 PM

Every thing the last guy said plus a band saw,chop saw and drill press a small one.You need to go to harber frieght with a pocket full of that computer geek money.They also have some nice milling @lathe machinery thats the next two things I want to buy then I should be set. :D

badger 09-13-2004 04:51 PM

Thanks guys,

I have a nice dremel with the attachment kit (thats how I have cut up my txt chassis and made the current fabs).

I have nice hammers and rubber mallets (I use my hammer and a vise to bend my aluminum) 8O

I am going to print out this list and go over to harbor freight.

Now I just need to learn how to use the tools. :oops: without "badtodaboning" my fingers. :flipoff:

JasonInAugusta 09-13-2004 05:53 PM

Various things I use:

Drill Press
Band Saw
Mill/lathe
Scroll saw
Bench Grinder
6" bench vise
Assortment of files
Dremel (flex shaft is a must)
Calipers (digital..I hate math)
18" Steel ruler...handy straight edge

A bench brake would be a nice tool to bend aluminum with.

bigred 09-13-2004 06:04 PM

here are the tools i mostly use badger
drill press
bench top grinder
cut off wheel
dremal
lincoln mig welder (best welder i have used and you can get them at homedepot)
3mm tap and die set
bandaids :flipoff:
gloves

:and if you would like i can build you a bumper/links whatever you would like i have been welding for about a year and thats what im going to do for my lob once you weld you love being able to biuld stuff when ever you want

CustomCrawler 09-13-2004 06:23 PM

Can't believe that no one said Hacksaw. This is the most basic cutting tool, and is also very usefull. I use mine all the time. You'll need a vice though.

bigred 09-13-2004 06:32 PM

shit i forgot those, ya those to badger i use those alot

Krod_Clod 09-13-2004 07:04 PM

why bother with a hacksaw when you have a dremel??? lol :lol:

hmmm lets hack at something for an hour....OR we could buzz through it with surgical precision in 30 seconds :D ...your choice :wink:

Cutter 09-13-2004 10:16 PM

I use my HS a lot. Cutting alumininum in a vise is fast! Quicker than getting the dremal (and quiter, too) :wink:
I'd add a dremal drill press attachment and flex shaft, they make thing easier and the flex shaft keeps the hot tool away from your cut up and blistered hand... :D

BTW I just noticed we had a 'chit chat' :?

badger 09-14-2004 12:13 AM

I forgot about the hacksaw to, I have one hanging on the wall. Hardly ever use it though, cause my dremel is always within reach and cuts fast.

And when ever I use the hacksaw it usually makes a screaching noise I cannot even bear! Maybe my blade is bad?

Thanks for all the lists guys. Now who wants to loan me a credit card? :flipoff:

CustomCrawler 09-14-2004 03:30 PM

Some WD40 would help to eliminate the screeching sound.

I perfer hacksaw over dremel. Especially with the thicker stuff. With thin aluminum sheet, I use steel scissors, not that plastic crap

JasonInAugusta 09-14-2004 03:53 PM

I used the hacksaw until I bought the band saw.

Not even sure where the hacksaw is now.

Cutter 09-14-2004 04:16 PM

mmmmmmmm...band saw :D
I work in the basement, mostly late at night so I need to TRY and be quite. With the HS a fresh blade makes all the differance! (the WD-40 helps keep in sharp, too)

rckjeep 09-14-2004 05:28 PM

Badger, I've got a Miller mig welder, chop saw, band saw, grinder at home, plus at work I've got a press break, a shear, band saws, lathe, mills, etc. So if you want to learn I'll teach you what ever you want. we can come to my work on the weekend too.

badger 09-14-2004 05:46 PM

Dude that would be SWEET. I am going to have to take you up on that offer!