Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Anybody using pipe cutters?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 08:45 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Anybody using pipe cutters?

I was setting up some stuff to build a new chassis the other day and I was in the shed and saw the pipe cutters and thought I was a dumbass for not using them in the first place. Cause they cut perfect straight, no noise/heat and stuff you get with a dremel, no shavings. I can't remeber if anybody said something about them before but I'll bring it up.

In the vice where I cut notches in the jaws for holding tubing vertical (hard to see)

Sharing my bender too

super mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I just use a 4-1/2" angle grinder with a cut-off wheel. I find that style of tubing cutter to be a pain in the ass to use. Tighten it up, spin it around, tighten it up, spin it around, etc.... The cut-off wheel is much faster/easier for me.

Nice bending jig. That thing looks pretty handy.
toybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

i use the little tubing cutteer. it works great as i dont have much of a shop at home. i can cut out all my links sitting at the kitchen table and not have aluminum shavings flying all around the house. then i go to the garage to do some quick tapping. works for me
RobCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I use a similiar style cutter as your larger one and do agree it cuts cleaner and easier than most other methods. The smaller one on the other hand.. I hate those little guys
wonder squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
Hateraide

the smaller one is more work on the hands but thats what i use
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Yep, been using them for quite some time!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:49 PM   #7
Holmes Hobbies

Me too,But the little one will wear out quick
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:34 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by toybuilder View Post
I find that style of tubing cutter to be a pain in the ass to use. Tighten it up, spin it around, tighten it up, spin it around, etc.... The cut-off wheel is much faster/easier for me.
Try chucking the tubing up in a drill and using the tubing cutter. This is the way I've been cutting my tubing for a while, quick and easy.
gr33nlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I was using a similar cutter at first, but it seemed that I was bending the tube as I cut. Now, I use a mini chop saw. It comes in handy when fish-mouthing the tube also.
NeoNeoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr33nlemon View Post
Try chucking the tubing up in a drill and using the tubing cutter. This is the way I've been cutting my tubing for a while, quick and easy.
exactly the way i make my links chuck it up in the drill and spin it slow and it works awesome - then i chuck up the tube and again very slow i thread it on the tap - it takes like 8 min to make a set of 4 links - 3/16 brake tube and a 6/32 tap
activethunderrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Anybody using pipe cutters?

I know I'm reviving the dead but I tried searching to no avail.

Would pipe cutters like the big on work on stainless steel tubing? I got some K&S 1/4" stainless steel tubing (0.028 wall thickness) that I want to make my own lower links for a SCX10. I've never worked with SS before so I was wondering if it is too hard to cut with these pipe cutters.

I guess I can use a cut off wheel but I want to have a 90 degree cut without much file after work other than to deburr.
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

with my hands I dont need a vice only my teeth an hands
Ohioskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I have a small one that I have been using since my auto mechanic days from the late 80's, never replaced the cutter wheel yet....I now only use it when I need a straight cut, the dremel is much faster with the angles we use to make stuff ....dremel cut it, corner of my bench grinder to start the fish mouth and then clean it up with a 3/16" chainsaw file or my other dremel with a 1/4" stone it it....take me bout 2 minutes to do a joint....
bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:13 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I also use one like the bigger one.And as stated,it does cut nice and straight,but does "roll" the cut edge.If you are using the tubing for links,you will have to drill out the end for allthread to fit thru it.Dremel does work nicely with smooth finish cut.And I too also use chainsaw file for fish mouths.
hotrodsonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:23 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

A combination of dremel for odd angles and the larger tube/pipe cutter...I've never seen the smaller one before.

A circle stone grinder to start the fish mouth and I found a perfect sized round file at harbor freight to finish it off...I think I learned that from Bob1961...
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Angle grinder with cutoff wheel!! Best ever.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #17
No idea what I'm doing

It depends on what I'm doing. If I just need a quick cut, I'll use an angle grinder. If I need a quick cut that is somewhat straight, I'll use my pipe cutter. If I need a nicer cut I'll use the lathe. If I need a very precise fishmouth, I use the mill. I actually use the mill a lot to get exact lengths, and if I need a fishmouth on both ends that have to align with each other.

I guess it really depends on my mood, the application and what I have ready at the time.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I've used a pipe cutter before but not for fab work, does anyone use one on .035 wall tube? does it crush the tube at all, pain in the ass, not fast?

I normally just use a metal chop saw and or 4 inch grinder or 1.5 inch dremel cutoff.

some times when a piece of tube gets small, the chop saw and 4 inch grinder don't feel to safe though, pipe cutter could work nice.
WAFFLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:15 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the feedback guys. A few years ago Harbor Freight used to have a mini cut off saw for something like $30. It was orange color. At the time I couldn't think of a purpose for it so I just said "Oh, cute!". That saw would have been perfect now but alas they don't sell it anymore. :(

I wonder if I can rig something up with a motor, ESC, belt and a platform for cutting these small tubes????
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:03 PM   #20
Built, not bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmeow View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. A few years ago Harbor Freight used to have a mini cut off saw for something like $30. It was orange color. At the time I couldn't think of a purpose for it so I just said "Oh, cute!". That saw would have been perfect now but alas they don't sell it anymore. :(
You mean like this one?It's now $40 but could come in handy.
62PYRO is offline   Reply With Quote