Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Vehicle mounted cameras...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

I saw this while doing some searching and thought I would post this up.

http://www.virtualhobbyshops.com/pro...oducts_id=1124
YAKIMA RC RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAKIMA RC RACER View Post
I saw this while doing some searching and thought I would post this up.

www.virtualhobbyshops.com/product_info.php?currency=USD&products_id=1124

looks like the one I just ordered from hong kong, would of bought this one as the shipping would be faster and it comes with the memory card, oh well
mikegigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:58 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

for 14$ I'll take a chance too

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260528043324
y2kgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #44
Pebble Pounder

I cam in here expecting live video feeds

http://fpvpilot.com/GettingStarted.aspx
ToyTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Just got the camera today but I dont have a memory card yet, will post video once I get one.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

All hell has broken loose here, crazy storm and its knocked out power for hours now, luckily im the only guy in the neighborhood with a whole house generator:-P Took me an hour just getting the computer back working and the internet.

Got a card for the camera and did a quick test video, im disappointed it isnt a wider angle lense, but it looks okay. My course is covered in needles and there is a ton of noise from the generator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI0zsWxWLeM

I have noticed walking around with it, it is blurry. Im wondering if I put it on my gas truck if it wont be clear. It is a perfect spy camera though.

Another video on my gas truck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_icFqTzChAI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAegQWlVwrY

Last edited by mikegigabyte; 01-20-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:40 PM   #47
Pebble Pounder

Ok so... my over all thoughts or review on the key fob camera.

1.Picture quality is great considering the size of this thing and the price of it.

2. A wider angle lens would be nice, but what can you expect really. Again because of its size.

3.It picks up light just as you would expect. Treat it like your regular camera, if you think the picture may not come out because its too dark. Chances are you need more light when using this cam.
4. I picked up a 2 gig card because WalMart was out of the 4. The longest I have taken was when I taped it to the dash board of the truck on my commute home. It was 31 minutes or so. Recorded it all with out a glitch. Im sure even the 2 gig card would have held more. Dunno about you but that's about all the run time I get anyhow.
5. Sound pick up... It does pretty well considering, but as with most microphones, if the noise is too loud, it tends to slightly mute the sound. Because of this, the noise from my motor and drive train tend to make the volume fluctuate a decent amount.
However if you use it to record whats going on in a room with decent levels of voice volume it does great. So basically if there is loud noise in close proximity, you may want to dub in some music for sure.

6. Instructions!!! If nothing else, the instruction booklet is good for a laugh! It has great usage of "Engrish" in it. It is not clear on which buttons you are to be pushing yet tells you to push named buttons. Problem is, they are not named on the unit either. On that note: the two buttons that are toward the rear of the unit are fake. Not that it was hard to realize, but for those of you that are looking at the ad, I was wondering. Like I say..... have fun with the instructions. They are funny!

Vid files are AVI. reads perfectly fine to my old ass lap top. I use my USB cord from my other cam, but it does come with a very compact version anyhow. I may very well have lost that already!
Pic files are JPG.

Over all: 4 outta' 5 stars
Price: 4 stars
Construction Quality: 3-1/2 stars
Instructions: negative stars!
Video quality: 4 stars
Sound quality: 3-1/2 stars

Last edited by 4mulaSvaliant; 01-23-2010 at 10:43 PM.
4mulaSvaliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:02 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Good review. I forgot I ordered one of these a few days ago
Old 01-25-2010, 06:36 AM   #49
Rock Crawler

Just ordered one and they are cheaper even still,cost me like $13 shipped to my door http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_3247wt_1167
kuatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:49 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

I have a gopro and find it a little on the big and heavy side, my brother in law just bought an MD80 and it seems to work very well!!
Captaincrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:46 AM   #51
RCC Addict

I love this cam! This vid was shot at 1:00 am with only 4 lamps lighting the lot. This thing hardly loses a frame despite the sudden changes in light conditions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvZrRSuHE4I
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:06 AM   #52
Pebble Pounder

Ok new developement on the key fob cam. Mine took a hit the other day from a roll over and has since stopped functioning.
I am thinking that the "function" button is the problem here. The on off button works fine. Power comes on just as it always has, but you cant take video or take pics. The light just stays a solid yellow. I have tried the reset to no avail.
Honestly, I am thinking that the issue I am having wouldnt be that common. Again for the 13-15.00 paid. What can I expect. I plan to buy another, and place it inside the protection of the the vehicle. I had it mounted directly to the roll bar and it took a pretty decent hit.

Now on another note. I remember being slightly irritated when I got it, that there was some important instruction that they left out, when it came to the sequence of operations that you needed to follow in order for the unit to read the card and actually function. Anyone have an idea what that may have been? Maybe there isnt one and Im an idiot? LOL
Either way, I figured Id post this up since I have been messing with it for a while now, trying to make sure it wasnt broken and still havent fixxed it.
4mulaSvaliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:15 AM   #53
Quarry Creeper

I have the other one, that looks like a usb drive. On mine the power button stopped working so I was beating it on the side when I saw the lens was crooked. I took it apart and the lens falls out, but it goes back in as it presses into a circuit board and a piece of plastic falls out from the power button. I immediately lost that so I got a small stiff plastic and put it under the button and now it works again. Plastic piece size is smaller then a piece of rice.

Maybe you also have that spacer under the button and it has moved away inside the case. Also mine has a reset hole with an internal button to reset to factory settings.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:37 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Anyone figure out the time-stamp? The other controls are easy enough to figure out....

I'd rather remove it completely, but might be stuck....
Old 01-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #55

Don't know if you decided on one yet.. contact Glenn at www.handyracing.com,
He has had a LOT of sucess with the one he has set up.
DJ1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:28 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

In the process of uploading the video right now, made a mount for the tiny camera to show more vehicle. This is just a test. Mounted a spare bent suspension link to the hole for the 3 link, and used the plastic losi steering bar to raise it up.

Video to come shortly

Old 01-31-2010, 03:30 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

That's a cool mount....you get lots of the truck in the shot?

How does it handle a rollover?
Old 01-31-2010, 03:37 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

The lens sucks so I think it shows the roof and hood, and half of the front tires. It does limit my driving ability as the mount hangs out far in the back and hits the rocks. It did flip over onto the roof, luckily the camera was untouched and didnt even move because it fell just right.

Basically it needs a wide angle lens, and because of the mount it shows alot if vibration
Old 01-31-2010, 03:40 PM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Need someone to braze a mount to bolt to your cage.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:06 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

so all this time ive been uploading the wrong video, thought the video was lost so I made another one, then found first video so im uploading both now. The first video will show when it flips over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXVo_s8oJmE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dMeHJtNvGw

Last edited by mikegigabyte; 01-31-2010 at 08:16 PM.