Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Vehicle mounted cameras...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Vehicle mounted cameras...

Those of you who use vehicle mounted cameras, can you tell me what you're using? I've been looking on ebay, and in catalogs, but can't decide. I have no experience with micro cameras, and was hoping ya'll could tell me what's been working for you.

Thanks in adavance.

Mike.
NeroWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

i don't have one but i have been doing some homework myself and found a few guys have awesome results with...GOPRO cams <-------- go !
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The $60 unit from hobbypartz.com is awesome - I love it - comes w/2GB mini SD card - about the size of a USB drive.
Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axial Rose View Post
The $60 unit from hobbypartz.com is awesome - I love it - comes w/2GB mini SD card - about the size of a USB drive.

Sweet! I just ordered one! Thanks guys, this one is perfect! Can't wait to get some onboard vidoes!
NeroWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

this is the camera i have. it works great. i have only used it once thou, i am still figuring out how to use my video editing program.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/wosm2mispyca.html

Only problem is you have to have a seperate device for the recording, like a laptop.
1badxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:55 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I'm starting to look into these as well because of their size. What do you mean you have to have a laptop to record? I thought that's what the 2 gb memory card was for?
Are you just saying you have to have a computer to play the video?

I was going to just use my digital camera, but it's big, and would affect the cog too much.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:39 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2GC_KpBlKc

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

Here you go. Its cheap it's tiny and it is great quality for what it is. For the price if you don't like it you can't complain.
AlmstEvil665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmstEvil665 View Post

Here you go. Its cheap it's tiny and it is great quality for what it is. For the price if you don't like it you can't complain.
I'm impressed Is the ebay link you provided the seller you bought yours from? I'm always a little leery when it comes to ordering stuff from Hong Kong, but if people on here have had good experience, I'm willing to give it a go.

Says it uses a TF card. I don't follow camera stuff that closely, is this a commonly available memory card?
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:41 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
I'm impressed Is the ebay link you provided the seller you bought yours from? I'm always a little leery when it comes to ordering stuff from Hong Kong, but if people on here have had good experience, I'm willing to give it a go.

Says it uses a TF card. I don't follow camera stuff that closely, is this a commonly available memory card?
TF is TransFlash, Also know as Micro SD. These are common memory cards for cell phones and other small devices. They range in capacity up to 8 or 16GB, but some devices are only capable of reading 2gb or 4gb cards.

Many of the cameras available on ebay for about the same price include a 2gb or 4gb card. What's nice for me because I have about 8gb total in TF cards that I can swap out if I needed to.

Last edited by monkeyracer; 10-20-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Ok, thanks. Yeah, I just looked at the back of my blackberry, and you're right, micro SD card.

From what I found, it looks like I'd need the card, then an adapter card to download to my computer, right? Figures, the card and adapter are probably going to cost more than the camera !
Old 10-20-2009, 10:04 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

That spy camera is really cool!

Most of the guys I've seen run onboard use the GoPro.

I'm old school.

pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
Ok, thanks. Yeah, I just looked at the back of my blackberry, and you're right, micro SD card.

From what I found, it looks like I'd need the card, then an adapter card to download to my computer, right? Figures, the card and adapter are probably going to cost more than the camera !
Your blackberry probably came with a MicroSD - SD adapter, look in the box it came in probably in the same sleeve as the user manual.

Look on ebay a little more, for only a couple bucks more than the one posted above (the keychain camera) there are other designs that come with the memory card. I'm somewhat intrigued by the "MD80 DC" camera (use this to search ebay for them) since it comes with a mount, and it looks more sleek, and some come with memory cards.

If you want though, you can get a TF card for fairly cheap, and they usually come with an adapter. As long as your computer can read SD memory cards, then you're good to go.

If you still can't find an adapter, I have a couple from when I used to sell cell phones, and we'd grab the cards from returned/defective phones. Send me a PM and I'll get one in the mail for you (the adapter, not the memory card)

I'd be interested to see the durability with being tossed around and bumped all over the place in an rc vehicle.

Last edited by monkeyracer; 10-20-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:39 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:

wow pretty good picture quality for the price

how much recording time are you getting w/ a 4 gb card?
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:31 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I don't have one. One of the guys in our club has it. I think it will only work with up to a 4gb card but I'm not sure. For 16 bucks it worth trying out. I have way more than that tied up in crawler parts I used for a day that are worthless lol.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Venom makes 1.

http://www.venom-group.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=VEN-0690
rockn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:33 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockn View Post
Fixed your post...

Venom doesn't actually make a whole lot of things, they re-brand a ton of products.

That's based on the one I was talking about in the above post.

MD80 DC on eBay

They go for about 26-30 bucks shipped, and that's the one I was leaning towards. Partly because of the 720x480 (480i) and partly because of the design...

Still looking through the different options on ebay though.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:29 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
I don't have one. One of the guys in our club has it. I think it will only work with up to a 4gb card but I'm not sure. For 16 bucks it worth trying out. I have way more than that tied up in crawler parts I used for a day that are worthless lol.
yeah i ended up ordering one. and like you said, for under 20 bucks and that picture and sound quality, its worth trying out.
when it comes in, i'll try to maybe do a write up. im pretty sure alot of people arent really looking forward to dropping over $100 for an rc cam.
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:08 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Onboard video

This is the the guy in our clubs post of his video with the camera. I'm sure if you ask him your questions in this thread he'll answer ya. It will support an 8gb sd card but he said you can only record about 2.5gb before the battery dies. So anything more than 4gb card is pointless. He said it will record an hour before the battery dies.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:38 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I ordered one from the ebay link you provided. Will let everyone know if it comes through and my thoughts on it. For 16 bucks, I'm not expecting anything fabulous, but if it works, that'll be great.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:03 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

GoPro has a new camera coming out next week? that can do HD http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php...2&productid=30 I'm thinking of getting one after I get a couple of other projects done. I'm also going to be getting the camera that Youngblood is using for some more creative shots.
kwal is offline   Reply With Quote