RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tools, and Procedures (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/)
-   -   DE-anodizing without oven cleaner (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/210058-de-anodizing-without-oven-cleaner.html)

tmaxxdout 10-11-2010 01:12 PM

Just went and picked up some greased lighting and man this stuff works great even tho on the bottle its says not to use on aluminun bare or anodized. But its not ecthing the metal hit it with some 1000 grit sandpaper and alil elbow grease and some polishing compound. Looks like a whole new truck with out the axial green

Frank Rizzo 10-11-2010 07:33 PM

Good Stuff.

Great tip!! I used the Greased Lightning today(under $4 at Home Depot) and it worked great. One of the 4 rings I soaked took an extra 10 min but a rub with a paper towel was all they needed after about 30 min.

I was also pointed to a product by Dupli-Color called Metal Cast that is a spray on that gives a nice anodized look if you are looking to change colors.

mudn_1 10-11-2010 10:40 PM

I used polished aluminum wheel cleaner one time on something anodized and It works too...... real well;-)

Sir Steven 10-12-2010 01:43 AM

Thanks for the tip"thumbsup"
I will use this to clean my green links to

Katan 10-12-2010 05:17 PM

Guys all you need to buy is some caustic soda powder. Put a table spoon of it in some warm water and dip the parts you want to strip for a few seconds. Remember to wear gloves.

You can easily polish the parts with Tcut if required.

If you leave the parts in for too long the aluminum will turn black.

suicideneil 10-12-2010 06:04 PM

Funny thing, I thought greased lightning was oven cleaner ( I'd include oven trays in that.. )? :|:ror:

We've only got lame foam oven cleaner in the UK, very hard to get hold of decently strong chemicals that will do the job...

team3six 10-12-2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicideneil (Post 2683672)
Funny thing, I thought greased lightning was oven cleaner ( I'd include oven trays in that.. )? :|:ror:

We've only got lame foam oven cleaner in the UK, very hard to get hold of decently strong chemicals that will do the job...

Neil, what the hell are you here for. arent you a speed freak?

C*H*U*D 10-13-2010 08:40 AM

I think I'd prefer using something that took 30 minutes over something that only took a few seconds.

First of all, how caustic is something that it can remove anodizing in just a few seconds?

Second, with the longer process your margin of error is a bit greater. I've read a lot of stories of how people have left their parts in oven cleaner for just a bit too long and it ruins the part.

m0d3ds1ash45 10-13-2010 09:57 AM

Or if you guys are like me and like the brushed look go in your tool rooms and chuck up a wire wheel and have some fun lil time consuming but it gets the job done! ;-)

CRAWLIN 4 FUN 10-13-2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by team3six (Post 2680388)
OK, so here is the latest dilemma, what kind of Greased Lightning do I get?

use the commerical grade works better..

Rebelspawn 10-22-2010 09:06 PM

Appreciate the heads up on the greased lightning. The oven cleaner about kills me every-time i have used it. Tis is much nicer..thank you "thumbsup"

Reb

RusT808 10-23-2010 12:03 AM

Use 100% lye (drain-o, etc.), it will remove the ano without destroying the substrate material. Just keep a close eye on the process and everything will work nicely. I usually hang the part I want to de-ano on a plastic cable tie and dip the part into the mixed solution. When the part is done I would neutralize it with a baking soda wash/soak. Light hand polishing is all needed to be done.
Needs to be 100% lye (crystal form). Oven cleaner has other chemicals that will cause pitting.

dpdsurf 10-23-2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by team3six (Post 2680388)
OK, so here is the latest dilemma, what kind of Greased Lightning do I get?

http://forums.thetoyz.com/index.php?showtopic=2539

team3six 10-23-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RusT808 (Post 2700777)
Use 100% lye (drain-o, etc.), it will remove the ano without destroying the substrate material. Just keep a close eye on the process and everything will work nicely. I usually hang the part I want to de-ano on a plastic cable tie and dip the part into the mixed solution. When the part is done I would neutralize it with a baking soda wash/soak. Light hand polishing is all needed to be done.
Needs to be 100% lye (crystal form). Oven cleaner has other chemicals that will cause pitting.

100% Lye really isn't a practical use. I would have to say though it works I am sure. it still is a bit dangerous

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpdsurf (Post 2701986)

"thumbsup" Already picked it up at Home Depot. Havent tried it as of yet, just been a bit too busy. Cant wait to get rid of the Axial green

crazyracer 10-28-2010 11:28 AM

Thanks for the tips and tricks, I've never heard of any of this till now. Sounds like it all works pretty good.

Nubster 11-02-2010 10:27 PM

Acetone works too. Also works great for removing powder coating. I completely stripped a powder coated and annoed paintball marker in less then an hour using the stuff.

RusT808 11-03-2010 12:39 AM

Great caution does need to be practiced when using 100% lye. Here's a good example on how to. "thumbsup"
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=110989

STANG KILLA SS 11-03-2010 08:05 AM

greased lightning(or purple power) also removes chrome off tamiya plastic parts. leaving smooth shiny plastic unaffected

badhoopty 11-03-2010 11:34 AM

i dont know about greased lightning, but i got a wicked chemical burn from the old castrol super clean stuff. but then again, i had my hands in it for quite awhile stripping a rattle-canned black rc10 with a vegetable brush.

so like, whatever you use, be carefull... ;-)

Rig Rocker 11-03-2010 04:53 PM

my buddy just did this to his XR10 rings. It works great"thumbsup"

The other successful product we used was Rogo. It's a diluted sulfuric acid formula for drains that is available at your local plumbing supply.

Unless you are 100% comfortable with working with acid, stay away from the rogo