RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tools, and Procedures (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/)
-   -   DE-anodizing without oven cleaner (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/210058-de-anodizing-without-oven-cleaner.html)

gas 11-06-2010 08:23 AM

"thumbsup"try this www.eastwood.com pt#12582zp

Wasp26Jim 11-06-2010 11:54 AM

So after reading this post I've decided to ditch my xr10's orange bead locks. I ran over to Menard's and picked up a gallon of grease lightning for 8 bucks and now in the process of deanodizing. Within 20 seconds you can see the reaction starting and after 10 minutes about half the orange is gone already. when done I'll polish them up and post a pic."thumbsup"

Wasp26Jim 11-06-2010 12:39 PM

left is straight out of the grease lightning and right is after a quick polish

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...8/IMG_0865.jpg

BFGcrawler418 11-06-2010 01:42 PM

i took my bead lock rings to work and blasted them with our Trinco blast cabinet, we use a plastic media & it works like a charm

nandrewjackson 11-08-2010 10:24 AM

"thumbsup"

+ 1 on greased lightning.

quick and relatively safe to handle.

thanks for the tip, sry no pics.

awdtsi 11-09-2010 03:32 PM

If you guys get your hands on caustic soda, be sure to wear gloves and safety glasses. That stuff can be real nasty.

shadowrejects 11-10-2010 04:16 PM

GOSH PEOPLE ARE SO COMPLICATED!!! i used a wire brush on a grinder, trust me lol

team3six 11-10-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowrejects (Post 2734527)
GOSH PEOPLE ARE SO COMPLICATED!!! i used a wire brush on a grinder, trust me lol

Now why would I spend my time scratching the piss outta my gearbox and then spend twice the time buffing it hoping to get all the scratches out of it, when i can just use this and spend half the time buffing it and not worry about any scratch's

So you go on with your bad self and enoy the wire wheel method.

generalee7 12-11-2010 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wasp26Jim (Post 2727010)
left is straight out of the grease lightning and right is after a quick polish

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...8/IMG_0865.jpg

Those look REAL good. Mind sharing your polishing method? I'll be doing the same "thumbsup""thumbsup"

gordy 01-02-2011 01:16 PM

great idea i have been using overcleaner i hate it thanks"thumbsup"

Tommy R 04-20-2011 07:35 AM

I appreciate everyone's comments and input on this topic. I've used the Drano method and the parts are left with a pretty nasty, dark coating. It come off relatively easily, but it's still a bit of a hassle. No pitting, though. So I'm going to pick up some Greased Lightning today since it appears to leave a much nicer finish.

I've got a question about polishing since I've never really polished unfinished aluminum before. What kind of polish seems to work well and what method(s) are you using? If using a Dremel, what kind of polishing attachment works best?

I've got some aluminum links I've taken a flapper wheel to in order to remove the anodize. It works okay, but the surface is pretty rough afterward. Now I'm going to have to chuck them into my drill press and use some sandpaper to smooth them out again. Boo! So I'd like to try the Greased Lightning method to save a step. :ror:

rybredd 05-02-2011 09:01 AM

bit off topic, but i hear every1 talking about mothers polish....

WENOL if u can find it blows away ANY polish ive ever used...

Excelent for fine aluminum or any precious metal.."more like jewelers rouge than polish"

neoakaj 05-02-2011 10:00 AM

I use dran-o but dont leave it in there very long

Corey123 05-02-2011 09:17 PM

I use Greased Lightning on all my deanodizing projects. I went to the Goodwill and picked up a little stainless cooking bowl and a small hotplate for like 6 bucks and that cut my time down to 10-15 minutes. Just enough in the bowl to cover the parts and medium heat on the hotplate work great!:)

activethunderrc 05-02-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rybredd (Post 3073200)
bit off topic, but i hear every1 talking about mothers polish....

WENOL if u can find it blows away ANY polish ive ever used...

Excelent for fine aluminum or any precious metal.."more like jewelers rouge than polish"

i use nothing but mothers polish on my aluminum and chrome for the harley or the crawler
i trust it and it works great

AkFordfan 05-03-2011 10:25 AM

I used greased lightning in all the links and rings I de-anodized and then mothers billet polish (out performs regular mothers by far)"thumbsup" I usually just put the links in a drill and polish, for the wheels and rings I use one of the small mothers power balls.

paul6ppca 07-21-2011 08:23 PM

I read through this thread today. When I got home I checked the garage. I had a full bottle of purple power,it has the same chemical make up as greased lightning. So I tried it. Works great! Now no more ugly axial green. It took about half hour to remove the annodizing.

jl0r 07-21-2011 09:41 PM

I will certainly be using this information for some bicycle parts before the summer is over! (I like my couple ano crawler parts. :) )

Thanks so much for the info.

Over cleaner was always to messy and stinks!

alexchen86 07-22-2011 07:22 AM

Greased lightning is an awesome product! I have two bottles. One is a 50/50 mix with water and I use it to clean off dirt and mud off my all my rc tires and gets them squeaky clean with a fat brush of course.

Haven't tried Greased Lightning on deanodizing...awesome tip btw! I did get a bad chemical burn from Goof Off cleaning some stuff a while back. Should have worn gloves lol. Cleaning muddy parts off a 5th scale is a PITA.

kc092755 07-24-2011 09:48 AM

can't find greased lightning here, can I use Mr.Muscle Multi-Task Kitchen instead?thanx!