Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: How do i remove a stripped set screw?!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default How do i remove a stripped set screw?!!

Freakin venom setscrews on thier driveshafts are tiny! i think they use a 1.5mm hex. I used the lightest thread lock and when i went to take off the DS's the stupid things stripped. I think i have pretty decent drivers in the LOSI ones that i own so i dont think it was the tools that rounded out the holes. Now im stuck. I could just dremel them off but i need to save the yokes to reattach the short drivelines for the venom dig unit. If you got any cool methods, please chime in!
ser3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser3100 View Post
Freakin venom setscrews on thier driveshafts are tiny! i think they use a 1.5mm hex. I used the lightest thread lock and when i went to take off the DS's the stupid things stripped. I think i have pretty decent drivers in the LOSI ones that i own so i dont think it was the tools that rounded out the holes. Now im stuck. I could just dremel them off but i need to save the yokes to reattach the short drivelines for the venom dig unit. If you got any cool methods, please chime in!
Im in a similar predicament, although not for the same reason, yet. I know what I would do if this wasn't micro surgery. My first try will probably try using a fingertip drill. If that doesn't set it free, then its time for a bigger bit and a little tap love. Which will require larger grubs.
s14slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Try using an old, small, drill bit that just fits inside the hex, but run the drill in reverse at low speed. The heat generated will soften the loctite, and the screw should spin right out.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I will try that. If im successfull in taking it out, im gonna take the DS to work and retap the hole to 4-40 size and run a standard size setscrew with a bigger hex opening. Why make hardware so small? It doesnt make any sense.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
No idea what I'm doing

Take a read through this thread......there were some pretty good ideas passed around.

sripped set screw

C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I've been in the same situation before. I just used some cheap hardware store allen wrenches and JB welded them to the screw and once it set up I turned them out and trew them in the trash.
dirtyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Damn CHUD those are some sweet ideas. Thanks for the find. Im gonna try each and every one of those until i get that damn thing out. Then im gonna retap that hole to fit a bigger setscrew.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:39 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Try a #1 Easy Out. Should be able to pick one up at a local Ace or True Value. Heat it up first to loosen the Loctite.
Biggons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:32 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

First of all, all set screws are case hardened.

- Secure workpiece in a vise
- Don't forget your safety glasses!
- Apply small amount of cutting oil on top of fastener.
- Using a 00 diameter center drill, drill a small pilot hole.
- Measure depth of set screw and transfer that depth onto a .0625 drill bit by applying tape to flute so you do not drill further than the damaged screw.
- Set RPM on drill press to roughly 800 RPM, drill a hole through the entire set screw. You MUST be careful here: You must drill and extract drill often or else you risk breaking drill in the set screw!
- Blow compressed air into hole you just made. Take your screw extractor and gently tap into hole you just made. Slide on your tap wrench and turn COUNTER-CLOCKWISE.

Ta-Da!

Hope this helps.
ASSASSINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #10

Craftsman Micro Screw Extractor
spankrjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:36 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSASSINO View Post
First of all, all set screws are case hardened.
No they are not.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:52 PM   #12
TEAM MODERATOR

I've used this method several times and it works great.

If you have a good selection on drills,try drilling them out with a .098" drill. A .098" drill should not hurt the threads much,if any,if you can drill strait through. Then use a good 3mm cut tap to clean the threads out. Worse case,you'll have to retap the hole to a 4mm thread.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #13

Something I have tried before is:
Put a little crazy glue on the allen key, insert it into the stripped set screw. Let it dry over night, then uscrew it out. Unless you have cross threaded the set screw, it should come out. If you did cross thread it, then you can only drill it out, then chase the threads with a tap.
Emsley is offline   Reply With Quote