Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Easy cutting of 6 or 8/32 screws/allthread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Easy cutting of 6 or 8/32 screws/allthread

Here is an easy way to cut 6 or 8/32 screws or allthread.
Wire cutters leave little or no burs to clean up! They are useful for other projects around the house too! The curved handled wire strippers are easy on the hands and are worth it, $10-15 for good ones.

Last edited by racerfred; 03-12-2010 at 06:59 PM. Reason: moved pic
racerfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Or you can just go to Fastenal and buy 8-32 set screws..
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Dremal with an abrasive disk..after you cut it, you can debur it...way better job than the pliers..they will fail...maybe after 30 or so cuts..but they will fail.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:40 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
Dremal with an abrasive disk..after you cut it, you can debur it...way better job than the pliers..they will fail...maybe after 30 or so cuts..but they will fail.
I got a diffrent view... I have been an electrician for 8 years now ive gone through probably about 5 sets of klein-kurve wire strippers and have used them on a daily basis for cutting 6-32 and 8-32 machine screws for outlets/faceplates/boxes Ive never had a screw go bad on me. you just have to make sure you screw it in from the threaded side, that way when you unscrew it it deburs and straightens the threads.

Perhaps you just havent bought the great quality klein brand :-P
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:44 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerfred View Post
Here is an easy way to cut 6 or 8/32 screws or allthread.
Wire cutters leave little or no burs to clean up! They are useful for other projects around the house too! The curved handled wire strippers are easy on the hands and are worth it, $10-15 for good ones.
Nice post. This is an easy method to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepial View Post
Or you can just go to Fastenal and buy 8-32 set screws..
Did I miss something? I didn't see where the OP was talking about set screws.

Quote:
I think a decent pair might last a bit longer than 30 cuts. My hand me down set of Klein wire cutters similar to those shown is nearly 25 years old. My Dad used them for 10 years before he gave them to me around the time I graduated from high school. I've been using the pliers for 15 years and it still cuts screws just like it was new, hundreds and hundreds of cuts later. No deburring necessary either, when you back the screw out of the cutter it cleans up the threads for you.
toybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The strippers shown are from sears, don't use them every day so they would last a lot longer than Katon's. I have seen a metric wire strippers too, it has five cutters 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4 and 5mm but they were cheapies.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:18 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon View Post
No...I just use them for the intended purpose, for cutting wire. Yes they are there and do cut screws...

I have been in the electrician field for the past 15 years, and I love my kleins.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I'm a union Ironworker and I too love my Klein tools!!!Got a whole bag of them...

Buying 8-32 set screws from fastenal is just so easy and cheap though..
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:10 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I got a diffrent view... I have been an electrician for 8 years now ive gone through probably about 5 sets of klein-kurve wire strippers and have used them on a daily basis for cutting 6-32 and 8-32 machine screws for outlets/faceplates/boxes Ive never had a screw go bad on me. you just have to make sure you screw it in from the threaded side, that way when you unscrew it it deburs and straightens the threads.

x2 on the klein tools, used them for 15+ years never once had a failure and when I was doing industrial maintenance I sometimes used my strippers/ bolt cutters on allen bolts and those are much harder than threaded rod
allgm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toybuilder View Post
Nice post. This is an easy method to use.

Did I miss something? I didn't see where the OP was talking about set screws.

I think a decent pair might last a bit longer than 30 cuts. My hand me down set of Klein wire cutters similar to those shown is nearly 25 years old. My Dad used them for 10 years before he gave them to me around the time I graduated from high school. I've been using the pliers for 15 years and it still cuts screws just like it was new, hundreds and hundreds of cuts later. No deburring necessary either, when you back the screw out of the cutter it cleans up the threads for you.
Quote:
No...I just use them for the intended purpose, for cutting wire. Yes they are there and do cut screws...

I have been in the electrician field for the past 15 years, and I love my kleins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allgm1 View Post
x2 on the klein tools, used them for 15+ years never once had a failure and when I was doing industrial maintenance I sometimes used my strippers/ bolt cutters on allen bolts and those are much harder than threaded rod
as an industrial and commercial electrician,,the only tools i use are kleins,,they are absolutely the best,,,i have never had a 6-8/32 screw not cut in a pair of my strippers,,,but for cutting screws over and over,,you just cant beat a threading board,,,a piece of steel with holes drilled and tapped into it of the sizes you use most,,then a cutoff wheel cuts the screw on one side and simply unscrew to clean the threads,,,i miss having mine,,,it wold take 5 of each size screw and made making machine quality cuts a breeze,,,otherwise,,,spin a nut on the screw/bolt and cut the screw at desired length then unscrew the nut...done
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:24 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

My Sears brand strippers shown have a life time waranty
Old 12-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
as an industrial and commercial electrician,,the only tools i use are kleins,,they are absolutely the best,,,i have never had a 6-8/32 screw not cut in a pair of my strippers,,,but for cutting screws over and over,,you just cant beat a threading board,,,a piece of steel with holes drilled and tapped into it of the sizes you use most,,then a cutoff wheel cuts the screw on one side and simply unscrew to clean the threads,,,i miss having mine,,,it wold take 5 of each size screw and made making machine quality cuts a breeze,,,otherwise,,,spin a nut on the screw/bolt and cut the screw at desired length then unscrew the nut...done

thats what we have in our shop...works great...this is why I use a dremal and a fiber disk.

Kinda figured some of us would be in the Electrial field...only makes sense huh....
Old 12-22-2009, 08:49 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I use either my dremel with a cutoff wheel until that wears out or a hacksaw, vice and a file to smooth it out afterwards.

I have some T&B wire cutters and it looks like the threaded hole only bends the all thread vs cutting (just tried it). Now I didn't try my other pair of cutters..hmm.
Nerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:21 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

This is why RCC is so great. I've been running a 8/32 die backwards down the all thread, cutting with big Knipex dikes, chasing the thread ends with the die and cringing the whole way. Thanks, I'm on the way to sears, us vehicle mechanics don't have those wacky plier strippers you're all talking about, and if we do, we can't find them in the bottom of our toolboxes!
picklewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Are the fasteners case hardened? Grind off excess threads and chamfer thread end so it starts easier in the nut.

If your fastener are not hardened, cut with hacksaw in a vise and chamfer threads.

DON'T FORGET THE SAFETY GLASSES!
ASSASSINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:33 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Good trick. I have a pair of Kleins as well..and i've used them for the same purpose...all my tools are either Green Lee or Klein...and i'm a 1st year apprentice electrician (looking for someone to take me on actually..)....love my tools..!
Shadow Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:25 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Neat idea to do it. I just whip out the trusty dremel, hit the all thread, and then take the burrs off the ends with our bench grinder (a must or you WILL tear up your rod ends... TRUST ME I know ) I have some other ideas i mind but they aren't friendly to people who don't have access to a full blown machine shop
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #18

One more tried an true tip. Thread a nut on to the rod before you cut it. then after you cut the rod, hit it on the sander then unthread the nut and it'll unbooger the threads when you take it off.
RichieOTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:00 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieOTR View Post
One more tried an true tip. Thread a nut on to the rod before you cut it. then after you cut the rod, hit it on the sander then unthread the nut and it'll unbooger the threads when you take it off.
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner. That the way I do it so it must be right.
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote