Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Band saw suggestions....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 12:07 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Really to cut corners in metal with a band saw you have to do it in chunks. You can get away with cutting a fairly large radius, but nothing close to tight. Metal or plastic is a bit more forgiving, but you still have to do in in peices for the most part.
And do it too much and you screw the blades up bad. I have that same bandsaw dude, and after a lot of use it is starting to cut pretty off, it always wants to turn no matter what. Also the little blades wear out pretty quick. I'm going to start saving for a big boy bandsaw now.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2010, 01:45 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
I looked at the Ryobi too...but I have a terrible aversion to HD. I only go in there when I absolutely positively have no other choice. For some reason I feel my IQ drop 30 points just walking through the door.

Really to cut corners in metal with a band saw you have to do it in chunks. You can get away with cutting a fairly large radius, but nothing close to tight. Metal or plastic is a bit more forgiving, but you still have to do in in peices for the most part.
0kay. so cut in sections, not just one motion. would a jig saw work better? I figure table type of saw would work.

you guys think the ryobi would do fine?
5150bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:53 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Proxxon hands down, features no other bandsaw offers other then micromark, which are identical
variable speed
wet cutting
either way most small bandsaws, your gonna have a hard time finding a good bimetal vari tooth blade for 10" and under bandsaws, thats why you go to probandsawworks.com and special order your blade that you need,they are pretty cheap and offer a bunch of tooth options
But I gotta say my proxxon is the shet, I can safely cut stainless, carbon and plastic ,hell any material and when running the coolant no mess, no dust just a bit of water splashing, but I dont use the cooling kit they offer, I made my own out of a spare table fountain pump and a $8 tub and some tubing I had laying around.
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:08 AM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joat View Post
Proxxon hands down, features no other bandsaw offers other then micromark, which are identical
variable speed
wet cutting
either way most small bandsaws, your gonna have a hard time finding a good bimetal vari tooth blade for 10" and under bandsaws, thats why you go to probandsawworks.com and special order your blade that you need,they are pretty cheap and offer a bunch of tooth options
But I gotta say my proxxon is the shet, I can safely cut stainless, carbon and plastic ,hell any material and when running the coolant no mess, no dust just a bit of water splashing, but I dont use the cooling kit they offer, I made my own out of a spare table fountain pump and a $8 tub and some tubing I had laying around.
never heard of this. how much you pay? you have link where you bought it?
Old 02-25-2010, 01:26 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150bronco View Post
never heard of this. how much you pay? you have link where you bought it?
http://www.proxxon.com/us/html/popupindex.html

http://www.micromark.com/VARIABLE-SP...DSAW,7913.html

They are a bit pricey at $300 give or take a few $$, but before I got mine I checked for 2 months to find something even with variable speed in the 10" and under market, could not even find 1, the wet cutting is so well worth it, I can cut anything and not worry about getting burned, plus the "coolant" extends the life of the blade, and all the chips are pretty much contained, I looked at hitachi,skil,craftsman etc, I went to woodcraft and all,the only ohter small bandsaw I found, was some glass cutting bandsaw,but was not sure if it had ball bearing guides, which not all small bandsaws have, the proxxon, has all the features of a big bandsaw in a micro package
Old 02-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
http://www.proxxon.com/us/html/popupindex.html

http://www.micromark.com/VARIABLE-SP...DSAW,7913.html

They are a bit pricey at $300 give or take a few $$, but before I got mine I checked for 2 months to find something even with variable speed in the 10" and under market, could not even find 1, the wet cutting is so well worth it, I can cut anything and not worry about getting burned, plus the "coolant" extends the life of the blade, and all the chips are pretty much contained, I looked at hitachi,skil,craftsman etc, I went to woodcraft and all,the only ohter small bandsaw I found, was some glass cutting bandsaw,but was not sure if it had ball bearing guides, which not all small bandsaws have, the proxxon, has all the features of a big bandsaw in a micro package
first link does not work. thanks.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:38 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
first link does not work. thanks.
http://www.proxxon.com/us/
on the right has all the bench top tools,scroll to you see micro bandsaw mbs/e
But the micromark is identical other then color

http://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-37172-.../dp/B001D6PJAQ
Old 02-26-2010, 12:11 AM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Total waste of $40. You can't drill metal or plastic with a Dremel, it spins much to fast and has no real torque when it goes slow. It also flexes alot when you apply much force to it. I bought one and its now under the bench doing nothing more than holding a few bits and collecting dust.

Save up another $70 and get a real drill press.

The ONE good use I found for it was holding the dremel while siping tires. Its nice to have both hands available.
Now that I have owned and used it for 2 days, I totally agree. Its f'in garbage. Wont drill thru any kind of metal. Im buying a real press next paycheck. I now own the skil scroll saw and the skill belt/disc sander combo. Both decent products, but the switch is bad on the scroll saw. Exchanging it tomorrow.
savagefromthesprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:27 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
http://www.proxxon.com/us/
on the right has all the bench top tools,scroll to you see micro bandsaw mbs/e
But the micromark is identical other then color

http://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-37172-.../dp/B001D6PJAQ
thanks. how easy is it to get replacement parts?
Old 02-26-2010, 10:20 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
thanks. how easy is it to get replacement parts?
Dont know , never had to replace anything and Ive cut alot of stuff , from 1" round stainless to carbon,must have way over 20 hrs of cutting and no signs of anything, but any proxxon dealer or micromark should have the parts, the only thing that I can see needing replacement is the belt, bearings can easliy be gotten from any hobby shop should you need to replace them.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:18 PM   #31
MSH
Pebble Pounder

Proxxon

dont have bandsaw yet but will get one sometime soon.

after i get a drill press.

good machines.
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Man, I gotta get my hobby room in better shape. Once I do, I will feel better about dropping $300 on a mini bandsaw. I still want a drill press and mini mill.
Bmr4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmr4life View Post
Man, I gotta get my hobby room in better shape. Once I do, I will feel better about dropping $300 on a mini bandsaw. I still want a drill press and mini mill.
I was the same way, but after searching and never finding anything even close that wouldnt be huge on the bench or take up floor space, even then the ability to cut "wet" , glad I got the proxxon, my local woodcraft did not even stock it, after I bought mine they siad they had alot of people asking, evedently they where showing mine off ,but said they never took it out of the box, I was kinda pee'd, they said it's not like you paid for it, I showed them the receipt that showed I paid in full prior to them even ordering it, they just shut up and said sorry
Old 02-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

went to exchange my skil scroll saw today because the one I bought 2 days ago has a BS switch on it. forgot my receipt, but thats no big deal because I just wanted to exchange for another one. They hassled the hell out of me about it and I had to go find the guy that assisted me when I bought it. He verified that I wasnt lying. Then, because I didnt have the receipt, I had to pay a $5 difference on the total of the new one. What a bunch of s***. My company spends over 40k a year at Lowes and they want to charge me an additional $5 because I forgot my receipt??? WTF man.
savagefromthesprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagefromthesprings View Post
went to exchange my skil scroll saw today because the one I bought 2 days ago has a BS switch on it. forgot my receipt, but thats no big deal because I just wanted to exchange for another one. They hassled the hell out of me about it and I had to go find the guy that assisted me when I bought it. He verified that I wasnt lying. Then, because I didnt have the receipt, I had to pay a $5 difference on the total of the new one. What a bunch of s***. My company spends over 40k a year at Lowes and they want to charge me an additional $5 because I forgot my receipt??? WTF man.
Did you pay with plastic? They can look it up if you paid with CC or Debit Card.
Bmr4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:30 AM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:
Dont know , never had to replace anything and Ive cut alot of stuff , from 1" round stainless to carbon,must have way over 20 hrs of cutting and no signs of anything, but any proxxon dealer or micromark should have the parts, the only thing that I can see needing replacement is the belt, bearings can easliy be gotten from any hobby shop should you need to replace them.
I wonder if home depot can get those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmr4life View Post
what mini mill have you looked? what could you make with one of those in particular?
Old 02-27-2010, 03:09 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I wonder if home depot can get those?

Dont think they are a proxxon dealer, you could alwasy check proxxons site for a list of dealers?
Old 02-27-2010, 03:25 AM   #38
MSH
Pebble Pounder

woodcraft seems to do Proxxon.
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:41 AM   #39

the scroll saw should work good and cheap
rocket man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
the scroll saw should work good and cheap
Not even close , scrolls saw are good for intricate work and inside cutting,even then they can not cut quickly or where designed for metal working the blade retention can not handle agressive work.

http://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-37172-.../dp/B001D6PJAQ offers free super saving shipping, theres these 2 also put you need to pay for shipping

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...on=refurbished

And if your dimeing it the first one is 260 but you need to pay for shipping of 12.89 which says you $6
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

Last edited by Joat; 02-27-2010 at 01:34 PM.