Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Band saw suggestions....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #61
Rock Crawler

With the right blade you can cut anything, I can cut right thru 1/4 steel no problem, the water cutting feature on the proxxon makes as world of difference, it helps keep the blade cool, clears the chips,keeps material cool for easy handling and since it helps clear the chips cuts about 15% quicker then if I dont use the coolant.
One thing the prooxn has is constant speed to a point as the blade starts to bog down the motor will adjust and pick up the rpm to match the setting.
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Joat, I think Proxxon should pay you a commission. You may have single-handedly sold me on their bandsaw. ;) So tell me this.... For the money I would spend on a Proxxon I could get a used floor standing commercial grade saw. My biggest concerns with that are (1) floor space and (2) the likelihood that the larger saw may require blades that are also large and not allow tight cutting radii.

So basically, if the Proxxon can cut 1/4" steel and occasionally cut 3/8" steel, then I think I may be sold on it. You seem to think this would be no problem, particularly with the cooling setup, right?

Oh, do you have any pics of your cooling setup on your Proxxon? I'd like to see it.

Thanks again,
Tommy
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

I just read a review on Amazon for the Proxxon and it doesn't have a fence. Is this true? That could make long, straight cuts a challenge for sure.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #64
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Joat, I think Proxxon should pay you a commission. You may have single-handedly sold me on their bandsaw. ;) So tell me this.... For the money I would spend on a Proxxon I could get a used floor standing commercial grade saw. My biggest concerns with that are (1) floor space and (2) the likelihood that the larger saw may require blades that are also large and not allow tight cutting radii.

So basically, if the Proxxon can cut 1/4" steel and occasionally cut 3/8" steel, then I think I may be sold on it. You seem to think this would be no problem, particularly with the cooling setup, right?

Oh, do you have any pics of your cooling setup on your Proxxon? I'd like to see it.

Thanks again,
Tommy
Proxxon goes for $280,I gotta see what kind of thick plate I have lying around Ive cut 1 1/4 round stainless , this was a bit much for it,though it did cut it, 1/4 steel and aluminum no problem.I'll see if I can find some 3/8 material, as for the cooling kit ,I'll try take some pics, but it's real simple a catch tub that the saw sits in elevated, and small fountain pump, hose and a simple fish tank air line valve, I did add some plexi splash shields and did a few others mods for easy blade change, table extension on the inside and a fence , I also made the miter gauge tighter in the slot but that was just using a general tools 78 auto punch.
Last as for commision ,you would think so yeah, but I just really hate people wasting time and money, the proxxon is a very very good saw and though the price is high , it's well worth it, you may want to check this link for a more real person perspective.
http://www.thms.tedatum.com/ and on the upper left theres workshop, scroll till you see proxxon micro bandsaw mbs/e
Old 03-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #65
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I just read a review on Amazon for the Proxxon and it doesn't have a fence. Is this true? That could make long, straight cuts a challenge for sure.
Yeah that was one suckazz thing,I asked proxxon if any of the fences they have for the other tools would fit, they told me to buy one and find out?and that they did not have one made specific for the bandsaw, I did make a fence, actually 2, the first one was soso, the second was much better, just scrap material and a 1/4 handle, I will get some pics up tonite if I have time.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:51 PM   #66
RCC Addict

Default Porta band saw

What you guys think about this.

works both for scale stuff and full size if you are into this. I build full size so this would work great.

buy the portable saw.
http://www.labsafety.com/Milwaukee-V...19/?CID=9PP001

buy a table for it.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ortaband+table
5150bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #67
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I was looking at the Ryobi before I bought the Skill. Both were about the same price, but I have a thing against HD so I bought at Lowes.
how well did either cut? i know most of these are for would only, due to motor not being strong enough to cut or ending up stalling out. ???
Old 03-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #68
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150bronco View Post
how well did either cut? i know most of these are for would only, due to motor not being strong enough to cut or ending up stalling out. ???
I don't know, they wouldn't let me try them in-store.

Mine cuts fine. I've got a couple blades for wood/plastic and another for metal. I don't have any need to cut anything heavier than 1/8" aluminum, so I can't tell you how it does on the heavy stuff.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:44 PM   #69
Rock Crawler

Quote:
What you guys think about this.

works both for scale stuff and full size if you are into this. I build full size so this would work great.

buy the portable saw.
http://www.labsafety.com/Milwaukee-V...19/?CID=9PP001

buy a table for it.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ortaband+table
I have a cordless makita lxt, I love that sucker too, for the table option, someone else has something like that, but the problem is how do you keep it on? the saws dont have a lock feature for the speed/throttle,so only 1 hand for the material and 1 hand for the saw trigger, kinda dangerous if you rig something to hold the trigger on?material handling would be very unstable! maybe a footpedal wired to the saw would prob work
Old 03-06-2010, 01:17 AM   #70
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joat View Post
I have a cordless makita lxt, I love that sucker too, for the table option, someone else has something like that, but the problem is how do you keep it on? the saws dont have a lock feature for the speed/throttle,so only 1 hand for the material and 1 hand for the saw trigger, kinda dangerous if you rig something to hold the trigger on?material handling would be very unstable! maybe a footpedal wired to the saw would prob work
the black metal plate that is on the right side of the blade, that comes off and 4-5 bolts go to plate and mounts on platform. super stable swag off road does it.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:30 AM   #71
Rock Crawler

Quote:
the black metal plate that is on the right side of the blade, that comes off and 4-5 bolts go to plate and mounts on platform. super stable swag off road does it.
Yes I know how the stand works, but that does not hold the "trigger", I see that in 1 pic he zipped tied the trigger, and I also saw that he sells a foot pedal controller too, dont know if it's a variable or on and off deals,never mind it's a step on step off foot pedal,still no wet cutting with that setup, I love wet cutting so much more, I am converting my jet 5x6 to also do wet cutting it's just so much better.
Oh and on that setup , since the blade is in a certain orientation you cant do long cuts past the throat, even if you made a fence, you would need to constantly trim the material off to keep it from hitting the bandsaw, at that point I would just use my 5x6 or my proxxon.
Jet 5x6 or a harborfreight 4x6 under $250
Kinda large but it is portable - on wheels
No tables the stock tables are totally use less way to much flex
No fence , can make one but need to redo the table first 1/4 stainless plate is the best aluminum is too soft
Variable tooth bi metal blades readly aval -popular size
Can do hydralic downfeed conversions
Can do wet cutting conversions

Last edited by Joat; 03-06-2010 at 01:38 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:47 AM   #72
Rock Stacker

The milwakie porta band is awesome. It cuts fkn everything. Only problem is that its limited to like a 5 inch cut or something. I used it with my iron casting buddies to make our Iron Church:

That lil porta band cut everything from rusty plate steel to uber old cast and wrout Iron. See the old wagon wheels the porta band cut through a square 4x4 inch forged iron axle that joined a couple of em toghether. Key is to keep a block of wax with you and cool the part if it gets hot.

Heres another photo for good mesure:
"N8" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:13 AM   #73
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by "N8" View Post
The milwakie porta band is awesome. It cuts fkn everything. Only problem is that its limited to like a 5 inch cut or something. I used it with my iron casting buddies to make our Iron Church:

That lil porta band cut everything from rusty plate steel to uber old cast and wrout Iron. See the old wagon wheels the porta band cut through a square 4x4 inch forged iron axle that joined a couple of em toghether. Key is to keep a block of wax with you and cool the part if it gets hot.

Heres another photo for good mesure:
WAY WAY WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS
Old 03-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #74
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joat View Post
WAY WAY WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS
Good news is we just learned how Thunderdome got started.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:57 PM   #75
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Thanks again,
Tommy
Excuse the mess, and the only reason you see shavings as I wasnt running the coolant as I cant find a cheap source for distilled water to add the koolmist 77 too.

diy silicone blade wiper

metal insert, plastic one was not up to my taste

quick change cover handles top

and lower, you can also see the fence I made,and the extension I made for the inside of the table

Coolant setup

pump, this pump is more then strong enough, I have it dailed back to keep the coolant from going all over the place

Another view of the table, with fence,extension and metal insert
Old 03-06-2010, 04:44 PM   #76
RCC Addict

great info!

I thought the porta band would be great idea since I would be doing scale and 1:1 too.

changing table and moving around with porta band seems cumbersome though.

My main concern, and please comment...., is the width of blade on portaband (1.2") or blade on prox to cut contours or corners without constant trimming......., thought?

I am still wondering what to buy, even though I found cheap high quality 6230 milwaulkee porta band for 120.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:03 PM   #77
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Good news is we just learned how Thunderdome got started.

"N8" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #78
Rock Crawler

Quote:
great info!

I thought the porta band would be great idea since I would be doing scale and 1:1 too.

changing table and moving around with porta band seems cumbersome though.

My main concern, and please comment...., is the width of blade on portaband (1.2") or blade on prox to cut contours or corners without constant trimming......., thought?

I am still wondering what to buy, even though I found cheap high quality 6230 milwaulkee porta band for 120.
pretty sure portaband blades are 1/2",not 1.2" hell even my jet 5x6 is only 3/4", I dont think your gonna find a bandsaw that you wont have to do constant trimming unless you run a really narrow blade, but I dont know of any that are bimetal, the proxxon blades are supposed to be really good, I never even tried the balde that came with the saw, I ordered from probandsaw before I even got the proxxon , once I knew what I was gonna get, I did order a 24t from proxxon but that's more for plastic/wood work then metal like I do.
But I have had to do constant trimming but, with the proxxon it really is effort less, I 'll try to find some material and try to do so distance cuts and see how long it takes for a given distance,but I wont be able to do that for awhile, I gotta find scrap material first, I know when I cut .040 stainless it was like cutting nothing, no bog nothing just pushed the material thru like a hot knife thru butter, that was 18" of stainless,was actual faster on the proxxon then the jet 5x6 just because of the coolant,both saws run a bimetal 14/18 varitooth blade.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #79
Rock Crawler

You may want to look at the stout X band, it's cordless, but nicad , has a table option, but the throat is kinda small and I dont know about blades
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYpbESyqAPo

http://www.stouttool.com/
Old 03-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #80
I wanna be Dave

Joat,

Thanks again for all the info. and helpful pics! My only concern with the Proxxon at this point is the fact that the center block near the blade is recessed for some unknown reason and will require a block like you made if small pieces are to be cut. It will also need a fence of some sort. Not really a huge deal, but for that kind of coin, I would expect these features...at least as options.

I realize this isn't a band saw question, but it's related. Last night I picked up a combo disc/belt sander from Lowe's. It's a Porter Cable unit with an 8" disc and 4" wide belt. Looks like a decent unit and got better reviews than the cheaper Skil unit ($180 vs. $115). Here's a pic:

Any have any experience with it or a comparable unit? I plan on mainly using it for finishing work after cutting steel and aluminum bits.