Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Make your own Tuber chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Make your own Tuber chassis

if you want to make your own tuber chassis that have all the shock mounts and link hook ups were do i start.
what do i use to line everything up right
i have really know idea what im doing but love rock crawling and love building
but never but a car from scratch any help would be great i alwasy get some thanks
07Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2010, 05:14 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

If you never work with steel tubing, then I would suggest starting small by making your own stingers and sliders. Once you get the hang of it, then you can move onto making your own chassis. The stuff to use is Harris safety silver 56% silver , 3/16 brakeline and stay silver flux. I'm starting to braze some stuff myself. Pick up some angled magnets and clamps. The first thing you need to figure out when building a chassis is the wheel base. Do a search on here, there are plenty of threads on this subject. When you do start to braze, your first couple of things probably wont look pretty. It's a learning curve, you need to take your time and not rush it.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Crawler View Post
what do i use to line everything up right
math.

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink View Post
math.

p!nK

and Astronomy
pig bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig bandit View Post
and Astronomy
No. Just math. Remember, it is easy to build a tube chassis around a good suspension- it is nearly impossible to build a suspension around a good tuber.

When building, the first things I get right are link mounts and shock mounts.

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:33 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

i improvised, look up "tigress" in a search and see what i did to make my tube jig...............bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
i improvised, look up "tigress" in a search and see what i did to make my tube jig...............bob

Anyone wishing to make their own tube chassis, would be wise to check out Bob's Tigress thread. Great tips in there........I've used several myself!

Thanks Bob

C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:30 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

A jig is a good idea, and I also like to use my own CAD system, "Cardboard Aided Design", using a basic geometry set and a good ruler to layout the design on a 'project board' card, like the kids use for school.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:37 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Default 1st hand

Ok this is what I did... I just build my first one. Mainly for practice, and I would bet most would agree the first one is mostly practice. With that being said mine turned out just OK, Its not strait, the links mounts are not in the greatest location (because I tried something new) ect. . . I am using it and it does work good.

Here is how I did it. I went though RCC, and other websites that they sell tubers, and downloaded pics, then I printed out the one I wanted to "copy" (really just got ideas, not copy) I printed about 3 out and combined the features I liked on them. I took the link mounting, and shock locations off my chassis I was running, wheelbase 12.5, and I started building.
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92LILREDYJ View Post
Ok this is what I did... I just build my first one. Mainly for practice, and I would bet most would agree the first one is mostly practice. With that being said mine turned out just OK, Its not strait, the links mounts are not in the greatest location (because I tried something new) ect. . . I am using it and it does work good.

Here is how I did it. I went though RCC, and other websites that they sell tubers, and downloaded pics, then I printed out the one I wanted to "copy" (really just got ideas, not copy) I printed about 3 out and combined the features I liked on them. I took the link mounting, and shock locations off my chassis I was running, wheelbase 12.5, and I started building.
That's great! yea! just a bit of figuring things out, use an existing rig to find some measurements, the layout of the holes for the links ect. and bob's your uncle! Good job, Let's see some pics....
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92LILREDYJ View Post

I wish more people thougt the way you do. Do your homework, make a plan, experiment, learn. Nice job, keep it up...

Last edited by RyansRubicon.co; 03-30-2010 at 01:27 PM.
RyansRubicon.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Anyone wishing to make their own tube chassis, would be wise to check out Bob's Tigress thread. Great tips in there........I've used several myself!

Thanks Bob

no thank you c*h*u*d ....anyone who looked at my first time tuber build has any questions please feel free to pm me .........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote