Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Brazing indoors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 11:38 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Brazing indoors

I've searched around, and I can't find any specific answer to this question.
I live in an appartment and I'd like to do some brazing. How much fumes/smoke is given off, and would I be ok if I were to do it in a single bedroom with 1 window wide open? Just don't want any issues thanks!
Hordsak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2010, 06:17 AM   #2
Custom Carbon Fiber

im not gonna say its safe but ill tell ya about my brazing area. I do it in my basement with a window open right by my bench open. I try not to do to much all in one day.

MAPP gas gives off Carbon Dioxide which isnt good so you should have some way for it to get out and fresh air to get in.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:18 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

i've done it indoors and it so little time to do each joint that i have had no fume or smoke build up....i did have to stick my bedroom smoke detector in my dresser draw to keep it from going off, it is a real sensitive one that goes off without any visible smoke.............bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:40 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Ah another apartment dweller, sucks don't it?

I do all my brazing in the spare bedroom of my appartment with a wide open window and a fan going. Smoke and fumes arent too excessive unless you light something on fire, but you really want to have some airflow all the same.

I do not however recomend working with galvanized brakeline indoors, even after you sand it down you'll be left with enough of the coating to give off some very toxic vapors.

That being said, get yourself a torch and harris filler/flux and have fun!
Nate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

is the situation 100% safe using respirator? (i have one - 3M series 6000)
does the situation change using brass not steel?
matador88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:08 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I braze indoors in the basement. As someone else said, it doesn't produce a lot of smoke, but it will set off my smoke detector which is hardwired in my place. I just take off the smoke detector and wrap it in a plastic bag when brazing.

As far as fumes, there are some produced, but if you have a window open or fan going, you should be fine. I think I may have caught metal fume fever once, but haven't noticed anything else horrible yet! From all accounts, even if you get metal fume fever, it doesn't seem to produce any long-term ill effects.

Having said that, I have my doubts as to whether brazing with a MAPP (or MAP/Pro as it's packaged now) is even hot enough to vaporize zinc oxide (primary product used in galvanization process). I always sand, as it's a good idea to have a clean joint, but when I started looking, I noticed the temperature of MAP/Pro gas is 1982 C in air, while ZnO melting point is 1975 C, and its boiling point is 2300 C. Seems it's possibly not even hot enough to get the zinc coating to the fume stage, and in fact, you may even do more harm when sanding it off and breathing in the dust !

MAP/Pro or MAPP gas is a mixture of gases and is toxic at high levels. They include an additive in the gas (looked it up, mercaptans), to make it stink at high levels. The only time I ever notice this smell is when I remove an empty tank from my torch head and release that last little puff of compressed gas. If you notice it any other time, you've got a problem! The new MAP/Pro tanks come with the green plugs for keeping the canister open once it's empty and safe for disposal (i.e., if it's crushed or lit on fire, it won't explode). Only put in that green plug when you've got the empty canister outside.

And yes, using a respirator or even a regular dust mask is always a good idea. That, plus other basic safety equipment like safety glasses and earplugs (a Dremel cutting steel is loud) and even a fire extinguisher. Be safe, don't burn down your apartment or house!

Class dismissed !
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I braze in my basement and get very little smoke and no fumes. I dont even open the windows or doors however my basement is 1400 sq feet so I am sure the air volume is at an acceptable ratio when brazing. I wouldnt forsee any problems doing it in an apartment just make sure you have a bucket of water and use good brazing materials. I would recommend the yellow oxy prop bottles as they heat up the metal very quickly.
69CrazyHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

This is all very good info - always learning
crawlinghulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:53 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Yeah guys thanks alot. Can't wait to start trying it out.. I haven't done it since High School lol.
Hordsak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:47 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Great thread thanks
TXJeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

ya i do it in my basement with a propane torch and there aint no fume that i know of that are giving off
lil wasted is offline   Reply With Quote