Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Going to buy myself a Smith Mini for Chrstmas.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Going to buy myself a Smith Mini for Chrstmas.

Okay guys this is the set-up I want to get, thanks to the suggestion of Kaetwo. I have ALWAYS wanted to get into the brazing thing and I like nice tools. I have sold some stuff to get the goods.

http://www.weldfabulous.com/Smith-Li...-p4748946.html

I was wondering if you guys could give me the rundown on everything else I will need. I don't want to be setting this up and say....oh sh*t i forgot....

I will need a acetylene tank?? Can someone show me which to get, hopefully from the same place...or should I just get this

http://www.weldfabulous.com/Smith-Li...-p4543738.html

I also need a good buy/place for Harris safety 45 and flux.

That's all I know to get. So guidance is extremely welcome. I hope I not opening myself for flaming I just want the get the right goods. I do know I need the obvious tube...probably use brakeline. Oh I do have a nice dremel for the cut-off and/or fishmouthing.

Last edited by Desert Rc; 12-23-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The OXY tank will come empty, so you will need to find a welding supply company that can fill the tank for you. You can get a gas tank from them to complete the tank setup. You can get all of your brazing needs at the same place. A good place will take the time to help you get everything that you need. You may want to consider a smaller brazing tip, I use a '00' tip on my setup, it makes a nice small flame tip so I don't burn through the brake line tubing.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rc View Post
Okay guys this is the set-up I want to get, thanks to the suggestion of Kaetwo. I have ALWAYS wanted to get into the brazing thing and I like nice tools. I have sold some stuff to get the goods.

http://www.weldfabulous.com/Smith-Li...-p4748946.html

I was wondering if you guys could give me the rundown on everything else I will need. I don't want to be setting this up and say....oh sh*t i forgot....

I will need a acetylene tank?? Can someone show me which to get, hopefully from the same place...or should I just get this

http://www.weldfabulous.com/Smith-Li...-p4543738.html

I also need a good buy/place for Harris safety 45 and flux.

That's all I know to get. So guidance is extremely welcome. I hope I not opening myself for flaming I just want the get the right goods. I do know I need the obvious tube...probably use brakeline. Oh I do have a nice dremel for the cut-off and/or fishmouthing.

I have a Oxygen & Acetylene tanks I could sell you.
F1GHTF1R3W1THF1Re. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
Relaxed !

number one get yourself a victor kit (comes with everything)
go find ya welding supply and rent some oxy/acetylene bottles
(cheaper than buying until you love it)
get some rod and go to town!
sococrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Although the Little Torch is really nice, I'm not sure how good of quality the kit is with both bottles and regulator. I would get the acetylene kit because I've just had better luck with it rather than propane.....it just has a better, hotter, and more consistent flame. Those little disposable tanks can get expensive too. If you have the room, I would recommend buying a used torch setup from Craigslist. Get the big tanks, and a normal torch handle for now. I just looked here in Portland and found a complete set with owner tanks, hose, regulators and handle for $275. The bigger tanks will last forever (I filled mine last year, and they are still half full) and you can upgrade to the Little Torch handle later on. I don't know if you have a welding supply store close by, but that could be an issue as well. Those portable oxygen tanks don't last long, and it would suck to be in the middle of a project and run out on a Friday afternoon and then have to drive a long ways to get it filled. Just some things to think about, good luck. Once you go to oxy-acetylene you'll never go back.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I have welding shops close enough. I wonder how long the set-up will last with the set-up with the two tanks. See this is why I have waited so long to get into this. I dont want to go the mapp or propane route and I like the idea of the small torch. I can see this getting very very expensive. I just want to start on my own stuff so one day I can be as good as you and kaetwo.

Last edited by Desert Rc; 12-23-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:19 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Go to one of the local welding suppliers and ask them to get you set up, They should be able to supply you with everything you need.

Buy your tanks, don't lease gets very $$$ fast. Most good suppliers will buy your tanks back if you decide not to continue useing them.

I would get a set of Victor gages and torches and just the smith torch, the Victor gages are better imo.
thumper68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:53 AM   #8
Relaxed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rc View Post
I have welding shops close enough. I wonder how long the set-up will last with the set-up with the two tanks. See this is why I have waited so long to get into this. I dont want to go the mapp or propane route and I like the idea of the small torch. I can see this getting very very expensive. I just want to start on my own stuff so one day I can be as good as you and kaetwo.
I work in refineries building the tanks everyone see's in a refinery and we use the victor set's (of course our set's are 1k+) but victor is a highly highly used brand and i have two "jobber" set's in my garage, i love em yes tim you are correct in looking on craigslist for a "used set" , but be sure you get all the attachment's that go with the torch! hope you find what you are looking for!
sococrawler is offline   Reply With Quote