Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: need suggestions on tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 12:28 AM   #1

Default need suggestions on tools

ok so i jus recently got into this brazing thing and looking to acquire some good tools i have jus gotten a dremel for christmas and i want to get sum grinders wheeels and stuff to cut and help with metal. if u dont understand anything of what i said then jus tell me some tools i need to get to work with metal haha. i already have a brazing setup and a angle grinder
crawler nub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2010, 01:22 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

If you are going to be making fishmouths for 3/16" brakeline or tubing get some #455 bits for the dremel. They are 7/32" diameter so you will have a nice small gap for the silver solder to flow into. Also a chainsaw file is the correct diameter for the precision fitting of tubes.

For cutting stuff get the fiber reinforced wheels not the cheap junk wheels, they last way longer.

Also just a basic set of hand files are a solid investment, probably the tool I use the most and of course a hacksaw.

Also a nice vise is very important, you can get away with a smaller one the stuff we work on is small but try and find one with steel jaws that are smooth. Some have a rough diamond texture to them and they will scar up your work. When filing or bending metal a good sturdy vise will speed up the process more than anything else.

Also last but not least, get yourself some nice safety glasses and wear them whenever grinding or doing any other activity where stuff is flying at your face. I had a piece of metal removed from my eye last week and let me tell you it was not a good experience!
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Small RIDGED brand tubing cutter
MOVIN-SLOOOOOOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #4

a nice tube bender would also be pretty help full
Diesiel man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler nub View Post
ok so i jus recently got into this brazing thing and looking to acquire some good tools i have jus gotten a dremel for christmas and i want to get sum grinders wheeels and stuff to cut and help with metal. if u dont understand anything of what i said then jus tell me some tools i need to get to work with metal haha. i already have a brazing setup and a angle grinder

Oh, too bad...

Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Haha Duuuuuuuude you've been calling a bunch of people out on punctuation - I better watch myself

Staying on topic though. To go w/your brazing setup make sure you have a fire extinguisher on hand or atleast have a plan incase something goes ignites Like knowing where a bucket and a source of water at all times is a must
prifral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Good fitting leather gloves are nice. They help keep the metal splinters off and keep you from getting burned. You will at some time grab ahold of a piece of steel that you just brazed up, then wonder "why the hell did I do that".
CrawlinClodKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:40 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by prifral View Post
Haha Duuuuuuuude you've been calling a bunch of people out on punctuation - I better watch myself

Staying on topic though. To go w/your brazing setup make sure you have a fire extinguisher on hand or atleast have a plan incase something goes ignites Like knowing where a bucket and a source of water at all times is a must
i learned this the hard way with my mig. i set a pair of old torn jeans on fire. i bought a fire extinguisher before i even plugged it back in. in case of panic, steel toed work boots make great extinguishers too!
moron88 is offline   Reply With Quote