Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Cutting square tube

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Cutting square tube

What is the best way to cut square tubing? I've used a bandsaw in the past (grant you a cheap one) but have had problems with the blade flexing out of shape. I've purchased a new Ryobi blade to try again. Am I pushing too fast or something else?
76 warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

What exactly are you trying to do? Are you trying to cut down the length of the tube to form 2 c channels or just cut across? Also what kind of band saw?
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

SMR 510RR What exactly are you trying to do? Are you trying to cut down the length of the tube to form 2 c channels or just cut across? Also what kind of band saw?

yes I'm cutting down the center to form 2 c channels. I think the saw is a cheap Tradesman? bought on clearance at lowes for $20. orig in the $109 range.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Is it like this one? http://www.amazon.com/Tradesman-8166.../dp/B000DZDQGW

Does it have a guide on it? If so I would set that so you have a nice line to follow. Also set the guide so it is just above the work piece so the blade is supported as much as possible. Make sure your blade tension is set right, shouldnt be too tight but it should be loose either. From the looks of it the blades pitch is too wide to cut thinner materials, I would try to find a tighter pitched blade for it. Also if you are making straight cuts try to find a blade that is wider from the tooth to the back of the blade. You may be able to find some information on the length of blade you will need as well as what widths will fit on your saw in the manual that came with it. If you find a local machine tool supplier they should be able to make you a blade the right length at a good price, probably like $25 or less for such a short blade.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I use an old small bench top drill press. I installed a cutting wheel holder(made for die grinders) with a 3" cutting wheel. Then you just adjust the table to whatever height you'd like to cut, and hold the piece against the table to make sure the cut stays uniform and flat.
@tw!ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76 warlock View Post
SMR 510RR What exactly are you trying to do? Are you trying to cut down the length of the tube to form 2 c channels or just cut across? Also what kind of band saw?

yes I'm cutting down the center to form 2 c channels. I think the saw is a cheap Tradesman? bought on clearance at lowes for $20. orig in the $109 range.
Do you have a drill-press? Try this:

c channel chassis
toybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

SMR 510RR Is it like this one? http://www.amazon.com/Tradesman-8166.../dp/B000DZDQGW

Does it have a guide on it? If so I would set that so you have a nice line to follow. Also set the guide so it is just above the work piece so the blade is supported as much as possible. Make sure your blade tension is set right, shouldnt be too tight but it should be loose either. From the looks of it the blades pitch is too wide to cut thinner materials, I would try to find a tighter pitched blade for it. Also if you are making straight cuts try to find a blade that is wider from the tooth to the back of the blade. You may be able to find some information on the length of blade you will need as well as what widths will fit on your saw in the manual that came with it. If you find a local machine tool supplier they should be able to make you a blade the right length at a good price, probably like $25 or less for such a short blade.

That is the one mine is just a different color. I've tried to adjust the guides, however the blade is very tight. May just adjust some more and see what i can come up with.

toybuilder----that is pretty awesome. Is that easier than a bandsaw?

Old 01-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76 warlock View Post

toybuilder----that is pretty awesome. Is that easier than a bandsaw?

Not easier than a nice metalworking bandsaw, but a lot easier than trying to use one of those cheap woodworking bandsaws.
toybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:46 AM   #9

a small cut off wheel would work
groundhog69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toybuilder View Post
Do you have a drill-press? Try this:

c channel chassis

nice idea, do you use a guide to keep your fingers back or just push the tubing through.

that's definably the right beer
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote