Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Custom tuber chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Default Custom tuber chassis

Hey guys....I've heard more than a handful of times that most of you custom chassis builders braze brake line to build a tuber. What type works best? I'm a pretty skilled fabricator & have built a few machined chassis for other areas of the hobby but being fairly new to rock crawling & even newer to scaling...I'm limited in the way of knowledge. Any tips would be appreciated.

"HARDKNOCKZ KUSTOM PAINT & PINSTRIPES"
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2011, 10:39 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I have used 1/8" and 3/16" solid rod myself. I know many that use the 3/16 brake line tubing with great success. I haven't brazed anything yet as mig is faster for me and I already own the machine and tools to do it. Brazing a clean tuber is on my to-do list though.
It usually runs fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Wow...so u actually MIG a tuber? I have both MIG & TIG welders as well as oxy/acetylene setups but didn't think I'd be able to get the joints as clean. Food for thought. Would you actually braze brake line or silver solder? I'm sure brazing would be stronger but haven't done any silver or high strength soldering.

Thanks.

HARDKNOCKZ
Old 02-18-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
RCC Addict

i tig and braze i use 3/16th and 1/8th solid rod cause it is cheap,tube is half the weight of the solid rod but you can burn through the tube alot easier also it costs about $1-$1.25 per foot ,i can get a stick 20' long for about 5 bucks for the solid rod and also there is no kinking.the trick i try to do is keep the top as light as possible.hope this helps.
warriorsimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

a burnz-o-matic trigger torch with bottle of mapp gas is bout 35 bucks at home depot and safety-silv 45 with bottle of flux is bout 25 bucks at air-gas stores....so fer bout 60 bucks you have what ya need to start brazing tube frames, just the cost of materials at this point of what you need then....as said in another thread silver solder is for jewery work abs safety-silv is silver based but with brass as it turns gold/brass color when melted....safety-sliv 45 and 54 have those % of silver in them from what i've read anyway .........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Thanks guys! Think I'll go the solid bar/tig route since I'm setup & halfway proficient with it...kinda. I'll keep ya posted & share some pics. I appreciate the community, advice & help you all share here. Good to see that there's still a few good hobbies filled with good cats.

Much thanks.
HARDKNOCKZ
Old 02-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
RCC Addict

i use 1/4" solid rod and MIG it together.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
Debunking old stereotypes

The cost is more, but simply because of the weight savings, I like the 3/16" brake line and brazing. I'm also not very good with the welder, but I have owned solid rod tubers, and the weight difference is a big factor for me.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote