Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Waterproofing your electronics (not including ESC)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #1

Default Waterproofing your electronics (not including ESC)

Hey guys i crawl with a bunch of noobs right ,so everytime i crawl, i hit the mud first cuz im always water proofed and they dont know how to waterproof their rigs, and that is what im gonna show you.

Needs: electrical tape, saran wrap, and vaseline (white petroleum jelly)

How to:

First thing u want to do is unscrew the screws off of the back of the servo and remove the front and back of the servo.Then you will put the white petroleum jelly on the servo horn after that you will put the front and back back on the servo and you will see the vaseline emerging through the front of the servo where the horn sticks out that is good!Dont wipe it off ever! then screw the screws back in.After all of that this is where the saran wrap and electrical tape comes into play,so you wrap up the whole servo with saran wrap(two layers) and than lastly, you are going to wrap it up wth electrical tape.i highly recomend this,it got me 3rd place in a ttc .

repeat the saran wrap and electrical tape procedure with the reciever but no vaseline.

Happy Trails,
Devlin
RoCk-SlIdE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

what about speed control
unknownhero55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

i hope this is a joke!! saran wrap and electrical tape. It must look like crap when you are done. read the waterproofing threads on here. dielectric grease and plastidip/liquid tape is the way to go. put dielectric grease inside your electronics and coat them with plastidip or liquid tape to seal the seams if you want to be safe. filling the device with dielectric grease is usually good enough though.
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoCk-SlIdE View Post
Hey guys i crawl with a bunch of noobs right,

Needs: electrical tape, saran wrap, and vaseline (white petroleum jelly)

How to:

Happy Trails,
Devlin
don't think i want to know past this .........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

What other good uses do you reccomend for the vaseline?....ya know, since you have it out already?
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #6

Well now that u said that I have always wanted to try sticking it in my axles to prevent rust maybe?
Old 02-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolferlee View Post
i hope this is a joke!! saran wrap and electrical tape. It must look like crap when you are done. read the waterproofing threads on here. dielectric grease and plastidip/liquid tape is the way to go. put dielectric grease inside your electronics and coat them with plastidip or liquid tape to seal the seams if you want to be safe. filling the device with dielectric grease is usually good enough though.
I always think that if it works, and you can barely see ur servo, than go with it, and it's no joke.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Dielectric grease, some zip ties, and some black balloons is what I have always used to waterproof my electronics (including my esc).

Open servo, pack full of dielectric grease, close it up and done.

ESC's, receivers, BEC's and even lipos can be placed in a large balloon and a zip tie secured around the balloon and wires close to the electronic devise. next, fill about .25" of the neck of the balloon with dielectric grease and place a second zip tie after the grease. Now, just a dab of grease in the neck after the second zip tie and you are done.

With this method I drove a scaler into a river in Montana and got it stuck under a bolder in 6 feet of water for 20 minutes. When I got the truck free (by using a log to jab at it) I drove it back to the comp site like it never got wet
Eritex Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Here is what all I use:

Plasti-Dip

Dielectric Grease

RTV sealer

Fluid Film lubricant sealer - Used like CorosionX or whaever its called.

limited77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:36 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

When you say pack it with dielectric grease, do you literally mean fill it with grease? So if I crack open my servo, and on the underside there's the circuit board and bottom of the servo motor, literally fill that with grease, and same with the top end with gears? Or just coat the goods, close it and seal it with plastidip it / silicone the seams?
AgentXTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Yes the grease "should" repel any water , should it get through which ever sealant you use. Working the Hobby business I have always used balloons/wire ties on the ESC it works well and is cheap. Though I never thought of making a "gasket" with a little grease like said above. But it def. doesn't look as nice as the plasti dip.
1qwkfox is offline   Reply With Quote