Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Holding pieces while brazing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Holding pieces while brazing

Ive searched and rummaged around this section for months and have gotten TONS of wonderful info that got me started brazing, saw me thru the rought stages when everything would fall apart and has gotten me finally to where I can be confident that my brazes will hold and look good. I got a good little setup goin and just got an awesome custom bender fabbed up by a friend...but Im still struggling with how to hold stuff together when I braze. Ive got 3 different welding magnets, clamps and a vice but sometimes I just cant get a piece to stay where I want. Been lookin at gettin one of those 3rd hand guys but thought Ide see what others were doin to keep stuff where they want it. Thanks a ton!!!
Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Matt, I typically use a "third hand" type of device to hold parts while I braze...sometimes assisted by my bench mounted vice. If a part is particularly challenging, I'll often tack it with my welder, clean up the weld, and then proceed to braze it from there.

Tommy
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

i went MacGyver when i made jigs to hold my tube while i brazed it together....check out these pictures i posted in my build thread ....now if that shit ain't hick, i don't know what is .......bob

finally started build............

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Thanks Tommy, I use my vice, those magnets, clamps and sometimes some vicegrips but I cant help but feel theres a better way.

Bob...Hick? Yes. Get the job done? Hell yeah!!! Thats bout how i do things...I look around, grab whats available and make it work lol

Matt
Old 02-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I have 6 of these in different forms.

http://www.harborfreight.com/helping-hands-319.html

They are only $3 at harbor freight. Don't last too long before they get burnt up. I remove the magnifying glass and throw it away. I have a few that I only leave 1 alligator clip on, a couple that I leave 2 clips on, and a bucket of clips because if you get too close to them with the oxy-acetylene torch is removes the spring from the clip and they are worthless. I'm luck to have a Harbor freight 3 blocks away so I can pick a new one up anytime. Best brazing tool EVER.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
RCC Addict

NICE!!! I been lookin locally for some but never can find em, at $3 a pop Im gonna have to order a couple, thanks!
Matt
Old 02-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, those things are worth their weight in gold! I'm also fortunate enough to have a HF near my work. Very convenient.......maybe TOO convenient??
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Maybe this might help you a bit. This is how I jigged up the steering column for my Willys. You can see a 1/4" thick base plate and lots of 90* angles to help clamp things so they stay parallel and perpendicular to the base surface.

BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
i went MacGyver when i made jigs to hold my tube while i brazed it together....check out these pictures i posted in my build thread ....now if that shit ain't hick, i don't know what is .......bob

That's actually one of the threads I was thinking of when I started reading this....the hose clamp idea is fantastic

You can also take a look through this thread.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Just found the homemade 3rd hand idea...gonna go make one later as I prolly have all that crap in my garage somewhere Good stuff guys, thanks for the info!
Matt
Old 02-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post

nothing wrong with that, use whatever works!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Believe it or not, my GF helps me out a lot. She is great.
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Its time to man up! Burns heal!

Just kidding.

I have some small needle nose vice grips that are frequently used.

I have also used masking tape and rubberbands to hold things in place.

I too have recieved help from the fairer sex...namely my wife.

Just make sure that if you are gonna accidentally burn something, that its not your wife/girlfriend!
lowslowTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Oh...I got my scars lol, between wrenchin on my 1:1 toys and the crawler you can tell its spring again when my hands start gettin tore up. Shoot, my girlfriend is great but she's smart enough to stay away when I get the torch out . She's technically not allowed in the garage anymore due to askin too many silly questions "are you almost done yet" "how much longer" "is that supposed to be on fire and where did your left eyebrow go" SHEEEEESH but I wont lie...she helped me put a motor in my 66 Mustang when I tweaked my back and couldnt guide it in and lower it at the same time...so I guess I gotta love her

Matt
Old 02-26-2011, 11:20 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

word of caution - try to keep magnets away from the area you are heating up as it will release toxic fumes. same goes for clamps that are galvanized or painted.

other than what has been mentioned, stainless wire is helpful in wrapping and holding parts together while brazing then they are easily cut off and tossed after the braze
prifral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #16
RCC Addict

when i MIG stuff together i usually end up setting it on the floor in the shop holding it down with my feet my body bent up like a pretzel trying to keep stuff aligned and straight and tacked together... most of my projects arent straight with lots of swearing and yelling...

i usually spend most of my time trying to get the pieces semi-straight. guess im gonna have to start using the bench vise.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

and vice grips and maybe a magnet or 2 magnets are a good idea they help hold all sorts of angles
9700trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

The extra hands from Harbor freight is a steal. I almost bought one for $20 on ebay, then remembered that HF had them. HF also has a beginner set of small pliers for $10 on sale. Not the best quality, but serviceable.
MonkeyRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

I've picking up a set of these at some point for welding, imaging they would work for soldering of brazing as well. Pretty decent price too imo.

http://www.vansantent.com/welding_ac...ake_magnet.htm
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

I made myself a small table and use different size blocks of aluminum to clamp and hold everything.
justinhinger is offline   Reply With Quote