Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Exspensive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #1

Default Exspensive

Man i love rc and im just now getting into crawlers i didnt know it would be so freaking exspensive to get started with all the stuff to make chassis and frames i guess ill have to get my job back but i would say its worth it in the long run. Any suggestions on what to use and what stuff i could get cheap im looking at brazing and doing some bending and pretty much all the other stuff for scalers?
Diesiel man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
Suck it up!

First, punctuation. It makes things easier to read.

Second, take a few minutes to do some reading. Searching for the topic you are curious about will usually return lots of results.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #3

yeah my bad. i searched some and it helped a little i was lookin for some more though
Old 03-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesiel man View Post
yeah my bad. i searched some and it helped a little i was lookin for some more though
More info on what? What have you found so far?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

you want info on tires? chassis- scale or comp...leavin out a lot of info. these guys are more than willing to help you out, as they have with me. and there is tons that can be learned, you just have to show that youve tried to find the info youre looking for, and these fine luna...uh gentlemen will give you more info than you can handle....oh, and by the way, you best start saving. if you want to know what i mean, look for the "bump every time you spend $100" thread and you'll understand what i mean. im on there myself at least 3 times in the last month or so...good luck man, and enjoy the addiction.
slipangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I think you are asking how much it will cost to get everything you need to build a custom tube chassis or tube work. My answer isnt going to please you, it costs way more than you think. Although at first it seems cheap it really isnt cheap to get setup from scratch. You could cheap out on certain things but in the long run you will just end up spending more. Always buy the best stuff you can get or else you will end up buying things twice.

If you could explain exactly what you are looking to do and what tools you currently have we could probably give you an idea what to buy and how much you will need to spend.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
No idea what I'm doing

First of all, welcome to RCC

Second, yes it's expensive but it's like many other hobbies...have you priced a good set of graphite shafted irons lately?

If you want to get into making your own tube add-ons, take a read through this page about tubes....it should help get you started.

Good luck and again, welcome!
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #8

thanks guys. and im thinking about working with solid 3/16 tube what would i need for that. and can you use a specktrum dx8 with crawlers it says it only for airplanes. this hobby is like paintball exspense wise i play that a little but im getting out of it. what is a good esc. and another thing i dont get is how to exstend and shorten the frame. i was also thinking about fabbing my own bumpers( out of the flat metal sheets) and frames because it seems cheaper that way. i was wanting to know the kinds of torch to use, also how do people get the square tubed frames.

Last edited by Diesiel man; 03-03-2011 at 10:13 PM. Reason: left things out
Old 03-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

you need a MAP torch. check it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKy7c...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3JjkASYw74

just to give you an idea. as far as square tubing, you can buy it like that, this is a good site to get anything from, but put aside some time, you'll be stuck on this site for quite some time:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#

Last edited by slipangle; 03-03-2011 at 10:43 PM. Reason: error, error, error
slipangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Granted it takes a few bucks to get set up but if you buy right to start with it will last a long time. I've been basically running the same comp rig for 4 years so it's been pretty inexpensive for me actually. It depends on what your goals are. I'm just a club guy and never go to the big events we have a large club and that's plenty for me. If your planning on attending the big events and being competitive you will need to stay current on the equipment improvements. The more competitive you are the more it will cost you keep to a edge.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #11
Got Worms?

Quote:
thanks guys. and im thinking about working with solid 3/16 tube what would i need for that. and can you use a specktrum dx8 with crawlers it says it only for airplanes. this hobby is like paintball exspense wise i play that a little but im getting out of it. what is a good esc. and another thing i dont get is how to exstend and shorten the frame. i was also thinking about fabbing my own bumpers( out of the flat metal sheets) and frames because it seems cheaper that way. i was wanting to know the kinds of torch to use, also how do people get the square tubed frames.
solid 3/16 tube, i thought tubes were hollow

But anyways it is cheaper just buy stuff from the vendors on here, to get proper tooling to make good chassis like our vendors do it will cost you a good chunck of change.

As for esc check out the electronics section and do some reading, but if your to lazy to do this i'd say a Holmes Hobbies BR-XL with one of is Torquemaster Pro 540 Handwounds, either a 35t or 45t.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
i guess ill have to get my job back but i would say its worth it in the long run.
Why would you need to get your job back?
Steve
STJ7780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:17 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

MAPP is expensive and weak. Get a Turbo Torch.
MonkeyRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by STJ7780 View Post
Why would you need to get your job back?
Steve
chris_dishmon is offline   Reply With Quote