Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: brazing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default brazing

To start off with I have searched and watched the videos. I also know I'm using too soft of solder(plumbers solder). Now the problem, I have got a roll of uncoated brake line from the parts store. This stuff will not solder or weld! I have sanded the joints, solvent cleaned,fluxed, and heated to varying degrees of temp. and the solder just sits on it. With my thumb nail I can scratch it off. I also for giggles went to the garage to weld it and that wouldn't even stick( either burned through or sat on top). Any help would be appreciated. Oh yeah I'm currently using propane for ease of use, I have an oxy/mapp setup also. I just haven't used it because I'm really unfamiliar with torches.
76 warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
No idea what I'm doing

I hate brake line. I only use this stuff.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

If I am not mistaken plumbers solder is only meant to stick to copper lines. I think that is your problem. A friend of mine works in HVAC and he got me my silver solder, they use it occasionally to join copper pipes to steel if the company puts steel fittings on the units.

Also, most brake line has some form of coating on it. Some has the green coating and some is galvanized (still silver), either way you have to get that off of there for anything to stick to it.

As to why you couldnt weld it, I cant say. What wasnt working about it and what kind of welder do you have?
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

my welder is a Century 80gl, however, I have hopes to rob off it to get my Lincoln pro-mig 140 up and going. Also I picked up a new solder from TSC today, its called Bernzomatic metal solder, not plumbing solder. Did a quick little test, and seemed to bond ( a whole better than my other stuff) to my brakeline. Ok on the strength, I think. I could pull it apart, however it took a little effort.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Do yourself a favor and get some Harris silver solder in 45 or 56 and some of their white flux. Works like a charm, no use trying to put a square pin in a round hole!
Old 03-15-2011, 06:34 AM   #6
Debunking old stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Do yourself a favor and get some Harris silver solder in 45 or 56 and some of their white flux. Works like a charm, no use trying to put a square pin in a round hole!
X1000 You couldn't of payed much attention to the brazing videos if you haven't bought the Harris yet
You won't pull one of those joints apart.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

watched the vids, however my local welding shop says harris is just a name and they have an equal product. its just gonna cost around $60 for a 3oz spool. They also are suggesting me to use a liquid flux verses the paste, and yes I did tell them what I am doing. Did I get someone that doesn't know what's going on, or is this a process that can be achieve from more than one direction?
Old 03-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76 warlock View Post
To start off with I have searched and watched the videos. I also know I'm using too soft of solder(plumbers solder). Now the problem, I have got a roll of uncoated brake line from the parts store. This stuff will not solder or weld! I have sanded the joints, solvent cleaned,fluxed, and heated to varying degrees of temp. and the solder just sits on it. With my thumb nail I can scratch it off. I also for giggles went to the garage to weld it and that wouldn't even stick( either burned through or sat on top). Any help would be appreciated. Oh yeah I'm currently using propane for ease of use, I have an oxy/mapp setup also. I just haven't used it because I'm really unfamiliar with torches.
My guess is that you have Stainless brake line that would explain why it won't weld and I dont believe plumbers solder will work either. Try to pick it up with a magnet could answer the problem you are having, just a thought.
diggerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I hate brake line. I only use this stuff.
Not trying to go off topic but have you ever Mig welded that tube?
diggerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:05 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
watched the vids, however my local welding shop says harris is just a name and they have an equal product. its just gonna cost around $60 for a 3oz spool. They also are suggesting me to use a liquid flux verses the paste, and yes I did tell them what I am doing. Did I get someone that doesn't know what's going on, or is this a process that can be achieve from more than one direction?
Get the paste flux or powder that you mix with water. It would be way harder to work with liquid flux, the paste turning to liquid is what tells me when it is the correct heat to add the solder. Also with liquid it will get all over and then your solder will flow out everywhere and you will end up wasting a whole bunch.

Im sure there are other silver solders out there that are similar to the Harris stuff just make sure it is a high silver content (at least 45%) and it should be fine.

Here is 3T.O. for $85 shipped thats a decent deal (http://cgi.ebay.com/3TO-45-HARRIS-SI...#ht_3982wt_905) They also sell packs with 1T.O. with the correct flux if you can find one of those. I know AirGas carries Harris if you have one locally. Also I think Lincoln bought Harris so they may be selling it as Lincoln now.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
There are more than one brand of silver solder, but Harris is a brand that I know works. Also, $60 for 3 oz is cheap nowadays.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerj View Post
My guess is that you have Stainless brake line that would explain why it won't weld and I dont believe plumbers solder will work either. Try to pick it up with a magnet could answer the problem you are having, just a thought.
You can mig weld stainless but the welds will rust.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:24 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I use the Harris with the flux already on the stick and buy it on a tube of 3 sticks. I have beat the snot out of my brakeline chassis and not as much as a crack. Get the Harris, you can't go wrong.
93-306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I brazed for my first time saturday night while drinking a few bears and all I can say is use the Harris Safety Silv 45 and flux and you are golden. Were ever the flux is the brazing rod will flow rite into it and the joints are super strong.
Onebdgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebdgti View Post
I brazed for my first time saturday night while drinking a few bears and all I can say is use the Harris Safety Silv 45 and flux and you are golden. Were ever the flux is the brazing rod will flow rite into it and the joints are super strong.
WOAH!...... Those must have been some angry bears!

Did you chop, blend and juice yourself or pick up a six pack locally?
Kodiak Ale? or a Grizzly Lager?

Next time a good ole beer may be tastier..... although..... I may be wrong, I never had myself a nice cold bear!
THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:58 PM   #16
RCC Addict

i use harris safety silv 45 solder and stay-silv flux paste and have never had a problem.here is another short vid of me doing a ladder rack on a scaler i just sold.

only takes a few seconds.clean it good,apply flux,heat tubing until it gets a little red,apply solder for a cpl secs,remove heat and let it cool,DONE.

I use 3/16" brakeline with coating from advanced auto parts and it works good.just gotta clean it good.
where ever flux is added the solder will RUN and that is it.you cant hardly break the joint.

Last edited by hotrodsonoma; 03-24-2011 at 01:12 AM.
hotrodsonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodsonoma View Post
i use harris safety silv 45 solder and stay-silv flux paste and have never had a problem.here is another short vid of me doing a ladder rack on a scaler i just sold.

1. IF you're building and selling stuff to members buy a vendor star.

2. I can't imagine why you be building crap to sell to people after the mess you just got your self out of what ... like two months ago?

3. Looks like you need a new surface to work on, that shit looks nasty.
Highmark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:16 AM   #18
RCC Addict

I sold the scale truck.didnt build the rack for someone. and yes sir,it is a cast iron plate I use.
hotrodsonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Default my first brazed cage

i just brazed forr the first time and paid attation to what people said and watched some vids. silver solder 45, silver solder paste, the t4000 kit from home depo like 40bucks helping hands from habor freight. after like the third braze it was really easy thanks to everybods info on this site i made a really cool cage at least i think so. here is a few pics tell me what u think sorry the pics are REALLY BIG

theblackmonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

That looks good. I guess I'll have to take the plunge and just order the harris silv.