Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Drilling thru steel question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Drilling thru steel question

So I have been trying to use a dremel to drill thru some steel plate with little results. I dont mind buying effective tools but do to space restrains a drill press is not an option.

No I dont have a actual drill, I have just been relying on my trusty dremel for everything....lol. I have tried several bits and nothing.

Now I am getting into brazing and being able to drill precise holes needs to be an option, so I thought I would ask you guys what to buy.

Thanks
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

do you have enough space on a bench to put a mini drill press? if u do or r not sure look some up ive seen some that r a good size for what it sounds like ur doing. not really sure on the prices though.
minnesotamudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default get sharper bits

sounds like you need to sharpen your bits, I use my dremal all the time drilling steal and have no problems.
crashmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Dremels are designed for high speed, low torque. That is the exact opposite of what you need for drilling steel. It would be best to pick up a regular hand drill. Corded drills are pretty darn cheap and pack plenty of power. Some have a small separate attachment that turns them into a basic press, which may be perfect for what you are doing.

Otherwise with the Dremel, sharp bits and plenty of cutting fluid. If the bit is not digging and becomes too hot to touch, it has softened and is now trash.
vw_thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Thats the problem I was running in to with even new bits, lots of heat and not grabbing. Looks like its time to just get a nice cordless. I had one but some how it got lost in our last move.
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
sim
Quarry Creeper

Definitely get a drill. Low speed and make sure you press down on it, but keep it straight. Cutting fluid or some light oil will help a lot too. High speed builds up heat and hardens the steel. Use a new drill bit if possible. Cobalt bits work a bit better than regular HSS.
sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:23 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I vote Desktop drill press as well. Takes up the same amount of table space as a 12 pack of beer, and is alot easier and precise than a hand drill.
MnRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

unless you have varible dremel they are too fast....get a plain ol 3/8" or 1/2" corded drill from wally world black n decker ........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:16 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Another vote for the mini drill press... along with a cradle type drill press vise and a good center punch. Failure to hold a drill completely straight is what messes up drill bits.
MonkeyRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:08 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

drill press vote here too. I wouldn't get a cordless drill. corded is the way to go. I recommend Dewalt for a little more cash but it'll last a long time. Mine's goin on about 11+ years now and still kicks ass
grant00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:24 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant00 View Post
drill press vote here too. I wouldn't get a cordless drill. corded is the way to go. I recommend Dewalt for a little more cash but it'll last a long time. Mine's goin on about 11+ years now and still kicks ass
I found my Dewalt corded drill in a dumpster. The chuck was a solid mass of rust. I dangled it by the cord (yeah I know) in a cup of WD40 for a few days then cleaned it up. Still good 15 years later.
MonkeyRiver is offline   Reply With Quote