Notices

Thread: my tube bender...........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #101
Rock Crawler

Default Re: my tube bender...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMS View Post
Insread of using a flat shim around the bolt,, try a smaller bolt with a round die with the 5/16 or 3/8 deep grove machined in it ,should get rid of the flat spot ....Robert,,KMS,,,
The die's you speak of can be found at Lowe's.
If you go to the storm door area you can find replacement rollers for storm doors that'll work as dies in
both steel and brass.
Your just going to have to use smaller bolts or drill out the center of the roller/die. If drilling is not your thing you can get away with "1/4 grade 8 bolts. The ones I found fit 1/8th/3/16 tube really well, the one's that fit "1/4 tube fit kinda loose but should still work.
transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #102
I wanna be Dave

the reason i went with the tube on the bolts over the screen door rollers is that there dia was to big....i'm thinking bout adding a 1/4" hole on my plate and use a 5/16" tube on a 1/4" bolt for a smaller radius bend........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #103
Quarry Creeper

Is there any reason why 3/16" .014 walled brass tubing won't work when bending in this kind of a bender? Cause I built one with a 2x4, a 1/4" bolt, and a screen door roller.
No matter what I try the tube kinks. The funny this is is that it doesn't flare out on the sides because I have a washer tightened down on it. The inside of the bend just caves in. Is the tubing wall too thin?

Please help me out guys. I've ruined probably 3 or 4 feet of tube thinking it might be technique and I'm tired of going to Lowe's and Ace Hardware everyday trying to make this work.
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #104
Quarry Creeper

On second thought... Does anyone have a good bender that lives in Houston? I'll just come use yours.
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #105
Rock Stacker

I am about to start making a "Bob's Bender". I will make bending dies for 3/16" and 1/4" tubing a la brandonwalsh420 to minimise flattening on the inside of the bends. My first project will be a roll cage for an open JK (1: using 1/4" tube. The main bends will be about 5/8" inside radius. My question is - do I need to make the die 5/8" radius or a bit less to allow for some "spring back" of the bent tube? Also, is the radius of the bend a function of how far the bending pin on the arm is from the die? Never done this stuff before so any help will be appreciated.
knightsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #106
I wanna be Dave

i would say yes to thin of brass tube, i get that little indent on 1/4" steel tube as well. just not as bad and don't look bad either....

I made the pin on my handle close as I did to have the bend go easier without much pressure needed....
bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:37 AM   #107
Pebble Pounder

Great post mate thank I for sharing;)
Trail Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #108
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
Is there any reason why 3/16" .014 walled brass tubing won't work when bending in this kind of a bender? Cause I built one with a 2x4, a 1/4" bolt, and a screen door roller.
No matter what I try the tube kinks. The funny this is is that it doesn't flare out on the sides because I have a washer tightened down on it. The inside of the bend just caves in. Is the tubing wall too thin?

Please help me out guys. I've ruined probably 3 or 4 feet of tube thinking it might be technique and I'm tired of going to Lowe's and Ace Hardware everyday trying to make this work.
The brass tubing is hardened, anneal it first and it will bend nicely. Keep in mind once you anneal it, it will remain soft and bend/dent easily. I just take my torch and heat the area of the needed bend to a soft red/orange glow. Bends real nice after that. Never bothered hardening it again.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:12 PM   #109
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
The brass tubing is hardened, anneal it first and it will bend nicely. Keep in mind once you anneal it, it will remain soft and bend/dent easily. I just take my torch and heat the area of the needed bend to a soft red/orange glow. Bends real nice after that. Never bothered hardening it again.

^^^ this! I would listen..... His brass cage work is always awesome, Prolly uses it to bend rules too...who knows ..... It cheats a lot or it gets the hose again...
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:36 AM   #110
Quarry Creeper

My take on a Bob bender.

I remixed it a bit and turned down some m8 nuts and hex couplers to approximately round using a drill and file.

Pretty happy for 4 bolts, 2 hex couplers, few nuts and couple of random brackets from the hardware store. Got no kink on a 180° 3/16" brakeline quick bend.

Photos of bends are tube and rod respectively.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
nedmo is offline   Reply With Quote