Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: required/recommended tools to have...maybe made a sticky?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #1

Default required/recommended tools to have...maybe made a sticky?

i know I'm new here, so i probably shouldn't be the one to start this thread, but I'll do it anyways in hopes that it helps other new people like myself find the right tools the first time...and save the oldtimers the headache of having to answer with "search".

soooo...without further adu....

what all do you have in you tool box? what are the best tools you've bought for working on your rc rig? what are some tools that you've made because it was either better or cheaper than what's on the market? if you have certain tools that you absolutely can't live without...which ones are they?

in my searching i've found this kit recommended a lot (and I've already ordered one):
http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN2833

i've also found this website to be very helpfull with it's selection:
http://www.rpphobby.com/category_s/402.htm

here's a set of hex's i've read recommended a couple places:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11048

i know some tools, especially custom ones, will be vehicle specific so if that's the case it'd be nice to know what vehicle it's for.
RedNeckRea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
Y-Town Crawlers

Hey Chris, good to see you made it over here.

A good set of Hex drivers will take care of most stuff. I have one of the Dynamite sets you posted, and the handle eventually drove me crazy. The locking collar on mine wouldn't hold a bit firmly, so they were always popping out.

After that, I would recommend a good set of nut drivers or sockets. 4.5mm, 5mm, 5.5mm, 1/4", 7mm, and 8mm are the most common ones you will use on a 1/10th scale rig.

Everything else I use is pretty common in most tool boxes... needle nose pliers, x-acto knife, curved lexan scissors.
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Monte View Post
After that, I would recommend a good set of nut drivers or sockets. 4.5mm, 5mm, 5.5mm, 1/4", 7mm, and 8mm are the most common ones you will use on a 1/10th scale rig.
is a craftsman 1/4" drive socket set considered a "good set"? i think my set goes down to 3mm but i hardly ever use em so I'd have to check.

Quote:
Everything else I use is pretty common in most tool boxes... needle nose pliers, x-acto knife, curved lexan scissors.
i got the first two...but i'm off to google wtf curved lexan scissors are. :laughing:
Old 04-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeckRea View Post
is a craftsman 1/4" drive socket set considered a "good set"? i think my set goes down to 3mm but i hardly ever use em so I'd have to check.

i got the first two...but i'm off to google wtf curved lexan scissors are. :laughing:
I've got a craftsmen 1/4" drive socket that I use for some stuff, but sometimes the ratchet is too big/bulky to fit in some places. I use a nut driver set like this one for a lot of stuff.

http://www.axialracing.com/details.php?Id=3605

You can find cheaper sets, but with any tools, quality isn't cheap

Lexan cutting scissors like these make it a lot easier to trim bodies and cut out fender wells.

http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/ax200..._scissors.html
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #5

i just clicked the link for the nut drivers, and i think i just crapped alittle, holy expensive, i thought i just walked on the snap-on truck for a second, true about tools, snap on's moto ''quality is priceless''
billytee89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
No idea what I'm doing

I love my Bondhus T-handle hex wrenches. Use them almost exclusively when wrenching. You really only need 3 sizes.

C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

surprised nobody's mentioned it yet, but a dremel is a very handy tool to have. other than that nut drivers, allen wrenches, pliers etc. etc. also, a third hand tool comes in handy when you're soldering on deans plugs. last thing is a mat, not really requiered but nice to have; I'm using a cow mat and I'll never go back to using towels again.
speed ghilliesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:01 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

I agree with CHUD, Bondhus makes great stuff. I use their hex drivers, L-hexes, and T-handles.

A few other things that every RC'er should have:

Digital caliper - I use a cheap-o Ebay one. Works good enough for my needs. If I did machining or used it for my job I would consider buying a better quality unit.

IR thermometer - I have a larger gun-type one, but just the other day picked up a tiny one from Radioshack, only $20 and it's supposed to be waterproof, although water-resistant is probably more realistic. Takes up much less space in the toolbox and easier to bring with in the field.

Digital multimeter - Good for monitoring battery packs, and troubleshooting electrical problems.
simplechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #9
RCC Addict

In addition to the tools already suggested...a soldering iron and solder is pretty much a mandatory tool, I think. It's also incredibly useful to have a drill, some good bits, and a drill bushing from JeepinDoug if you make your own links.

Link Drill Bushing
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I love my Bondhus T-handle hex wrenches. Use them almost exclusively when wrenching. You really only need 3 sizes.

about 6 months ago i picked up a $10 set, that looks very similar to these, from the local napa. probably not nearly the quality of yours, but should do the job while i'm still new to wrenching on these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
In addition to the tools already suggested...a soldering iron and solder is pretty much a mandatory tool, I think. It's also incredibly useful to have a drill, some good bits, and a drill bushing from JeepinDoug if you make your own links.

Link Drill Bushing
now I haven't done much work on the rc crawlers, but when you say soldering is pretty much mandatory i'm just curious as to why? most of the searching I've done i've see soldering for building cages/chasis/links/etc. is there anything a newb like myself would have to solder? what iron/solder works best for the rc world?
Old 05-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeckRea View Post
now I haven't done much work on the rc crawlers, but when you say soldering is pretty much mandatory i'm just curious as to why? most of the searching I've done i've see soldering for building cages/chasis/links/etc. is there anything a newb like myself would have to solder? what iron/solder works best for the rc world?
Soldering is not used for cage building, you need a torch or welder for that job. At some point, you probably will need to solder battery connectors, ESC wires, etc.. Most any iron over 30 watts will get the job done, but something like a Hakko or Weller station is a good investment if you plan on any more involved electrical work. I personally like Radio Shack rosin core (lead) solder for most general purpose applications. Might not be available in all places...

Tool selection is quite relative, but there are a few basics I wouldn't want to do without. Pliers (2+ pair), screwdriver set, hex key set, and a hacksaw at minimum. The "extra" tools I use the most are the dremel, drill press, bench grinder, die grinder w/ cut off disk, well secured vise, oxyfuel torch, MIG welder, tap and die set, good drill bits, jig saw, and my 60 year old Craftsman 109 lathe (which is useless for anything harder than aluminum). I still wouldn't mind a band saw and milling attachment for the lathe..
vw_thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #12

any good recomendations for different boxes? got a metal 3 drawer craftsman but it's a heavy SOB. was thinking bout using a plastic fishing tackle box because my guess is that most of the spare parts are small enough to fit, plus they already have all the seperation built into them.

like I said, i'd like to eventually see this turn into a sticky with all the necessities for someone who was new to the sport.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:16 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Plastic fishing tackle box's are what I have used since 1988. You can't find a better "tool box" for this hobby IMHO
Left_Rear_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote