Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Allen wrench driver sets.....which is best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #61
I wanna be Dave

I've so many of these, I can't count.

I had my own personalized set of Hudy tools from Mr. Hudy himself. Airline lost them though on the way home from a big race. I didn't overly like them though. Even though I have small hands, I always felt they were too small and hard to hold. The tips however are amazing....

MIP stuff I have used for ages, I still use MIP drivers. I typically have a set of MIP over with my motor tools. Easy to hold, good tips...

The Losi tools are ok, my hand gets tired with them easy....and they are a bit short. Tips are pretty good though, you will be hard pressed to break one.

Integy stuff is well....Integy. I've had a few sets. Some last, some break. They are actually nice fitting to your hand, so its a shame the tips break so easy.

For my cars and such (and around the shop), I use HARD Racing ones. These have great tips and a carbon fiber/aluminum handle. There website sometimes is weird. I dunno if you can even buy them anymore. I used to be the importer of them years ago. While I still have a bunch of the Nut Drivers, I am pretty much out of most of the hex drivers, minus a few smaller sizes. I loved how light they were, not only for use, but during travel....

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #62
Rock Stacker

Default tools

Believe it or not Ofna maked a pretty good set ,Around 35.00 for a complete set of either metric or the Ase .I have had my set for over 10 years and they are still going .This past xmas the wife spent 70.00 on a set of AE tools and they are very well made but a little on the pricey side .Id go with the OFNA stuff again .
cjjeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhyde79 View Post
The topic pretty well says it, I've lost or broken all of mine and need new ones, had the dynamite ones and the team losi ones, the dynamites were really shoddy, and the losi's I liked but they seemed to round a little bit...

What ones have y'all had the best luck with and what's the cheapest place to grab em?
Best ones and cheapest?

Borrowed are cheapest! :oP

More serious note... I have some nice Integy ones that interchange in the same handle and the bits themselves are easily replaced if need be by a small set screw holding them in the bit that fits the handle.
I bought these years ago because of the design and figured I would save some money if one ever stripped or broke because I would only need to replace specific smaller sections and not the whole tool or set.
But.... Nothing has even attempted to strip or break yet.

I have heard a few people dislike Integy.... I myself am seriously not fond of their actual RC parts... But this driver set has been most excellent to me.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk
THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:12 AM   #64
RCC Addict

^ i seriously have to disagree with Integy, i have had 4 integy drivers, all 4 broke within first week of purchase. not even worth it. heck, even the cheaper Dynamite's have lasted me at least 50x longer, and still going strong. These were their "hard-ano" drivers, yet failed to take out a screw that was in plastic, and did not even require any strength to remove. what came out was a broken driver, not the screw i was trying to take out

The only thing thats been going strong with integy so far, is the name integy.
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:18 AM   #65
Quarry Creeper

thats a strong name?
PowerCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:22 AM   #66
RCC Addict

hey, its the only thing that has lasted from them. so I consider it strong.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #67
www.team3sixrc.com

This thread sure has grown.

Which to me mentions that people are sick of crap drivers.

Like I mentioned before, the higher the price -the better the tool.

Integy is not, nor will it ever be a great or good choice for tools. I will say they do make some decent parts from time to time. But tools are not one of them.

I recently have aquired some Axial drivers in a raffle and was blown away. So much so, I purchased the whole lot of the tools.
Comfortable, strong, stout, and just the right length.

But as I have said before. I own HUDY, Pro-line (which they no longer make, but you can still find them.), Associated, and LOSI.
For the most part they all hold up well. Every now and then, you'll snap something and its usually the .050mm or 1.5mm driver.

Just remember, some things do NOT have to be wrenched down tight as hell. That's why they make blue and red thread locker. And you don't need a lot of thread locker either, just a dab, so your not torquing the hell outta a screw to remove it.

If your gonna buy cheap tools, stock up on replacement ends. including when it comes to the smaller sizes.

And no matter what the price of your tools, always have a back up set. More times than I care to recall when I first started I snapped a driver and waited a week for a replacement tip.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:32 AM   #68
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
Like I mentioned before, the higher the price -the better the tool.
is have to disagree with this... actually, I have noticed the $6 dynamite drivers are extremely Good, and have lasted longer than my proline tools, which were close to triple the price. now I can't compare them to hudy, since I've never owned them.

however, to agree with your quote, I did try my friends hudy, to fix something up fast, and man, it was like a night and day difference. the build quality of the wrench was superb and it felt like there was no flex in the driver at all. it was like a beat up car left alone to rust vs a well maintained car. the wrench it self felt incredibly study in my hand, and felt secure, unlike the dynamite, where it felt really hollowed out, low quality build, flexing here and there. but over all, I have to say if your just looking for something decent on a budget, get the red handled dynamite driver, since you can stack up a whole pair for roughly $20-30. if you got money to put in the rc economy, get those hudys, no regret there.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #69

I have the old AE hex set from many many years ago. My only wish was a long and short shaft version. I hate Ball ennds for small parts as they almost always strip out the head. For me I also like smaller handles on the tiny sizes (helps to keep me from over torquing them).If you are looking to fill your pit box with tools dont forget to look in places like Sears,Home Depot,or your local auto parts store .the tools don't need to be RC specific. well thats my 2cents
Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #70
RCC Addict

Does anybody have any experience with either of these two?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ilicone-Handle

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...odId=LOSA99130
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #71
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbacon12 View Post
I've almost picked up the losi a couple times. I've heard good things about it and it looks handy for a field box.

As for regular drivers, I just picked up some MIPs a month or two ago and absolutely love them.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:30 PM   #72
Rock Stacker

These look close to your second link from Losi. These are Dynamite got them from my local Hobby Clown store for $36.99 work awesome.

vette66_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #73
Quarry Creeper

Update on the Snap Ons. They kick ass, just dont use the ball end to loosen low quality screws.
PowerCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #74

I've tried many different tool sets and the Mugen pro spec tool set has the best quality. I wish they offered more tools outside this set but it already does include most drivers you will ever need. The tips are incredible solid with good sized handles.

Me being a tool whore I had to have a complete set of Hudy tools which are excellent tools. The marking system makes it easy for me to find hex driver sizes. They have such a wide range of RC tools allowing you to add more tools to your collection as time goes on which is great.

My first Integy set last only one build. EDS was a lot better but still no where near the quality of the Mugen and Hudy set.
victionone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:47 AM   #75
Rock Stacker

I have used many sets over the years. I like the new Associated handles the best, and their standard tips are great, but prefer Hudy tips for metric, and all of my replacement tips have been Eds. He will even regrind tips on your favorite wrenches. Go with an Eds set, you wont be displeased with the quality or toughness of these tips.
rdcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:03 AM   #76
Rock Crawler

I made my choice... Yesterday I ordered a set of a EDS Allen and nut drivers.
eisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette66_00 View Post
These look close to your second link from Losi. These are Dynamite got them from my local Hobby Clown store for $36.99 work awesome.

This one is by fare the best trail and on the go set imo.
MR.VERTICAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.VERTICAL View Post
This one is by fare the best trail and on the go set imo.
Very sweet looking for the trail...compact, quality looking, do the tips fall out or stay in during use and transport in a backpack? Got a part number for that?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #79
Quarry Creeper

i've had my integy drivers since i bought my t-maxx years and years ago... put them back into service when i picked up my axial, no complaints so far.

I'm not an integy fan, and I was fairly young and stupid when i bought them, but I'm not going to throw away tools that do what they're supposed to....

When/if they start breaking I'll replace them with something expensive.
Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #80
RCC Addict

I had been using a set of Du-Bro drivers for a few years, and never really felt that they were very good. They had plastic handles, no color coding, and the 1.5mm stripped out after the second time I used it...

I ordered 3 drivers last week. I ordered Schumacher, in 1.5, 2.0, and 2.5mm. I've had a chance to use all 3 a bit, just doing cleaning/maintenance, and they're easily better than my old set. They're black and silver knurled with color coded ends. The flat spotted handles are a blessing when they don't roll off the bench (fat guys hate dropping things as it requires them to bend over... ) The handles are hollow and have extra holes for hanging on a pegboard or a lanyard, etc. They're not ball-end, and that's the only "negative" thing I can say about them...

Quite possibly the best 25.00 I've spent on tools ever
http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...filter_mfr=326
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote